Whats a reasonable price for changing timing belt?

ChrisGoulding

Reasonable would be somewhere round the £175 - £225 mark for an independent, and add £50 - £80 for a main dealer. Depends on the location in the UK really. Also, make sure they know what they're doing. Certain threads on here from people who didn't know what they were doing leads to problems.

ECU remap should make no difference. 169144-ok.gif

Presuming your Golf 130 PD is the same as my 52 Passat 130 PD?.........don't forget to have the cambelt tensioner changed as well.

As the power steering belt and auxilliary belt also have to come off, have new ones fitted rather than refit the old ones. Above all have only genuine VW parts fitted they aren't expensive and often cheaper than aftermarket.

Cambelt replacement is such an important item that personally I would only entrust to a known VW dealer. If something does go wrong you probably have a better chance of a satisfatory conclusion, plus you get a years warranty on the work. Why chance it to save a few quid!

If it's the original cambelt and over 4 years old it's already overdue! (No cnnections with VW!)

[ QUOTE ]

As per Rusty's post with the pricing - if you use an independent, make sure you know them or you have a referral from someone you know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same for VW dealers too. I know one who screwed this up on a passat and would not admit they were responsible. mad.gifopenfire.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Presuming your Golf 130 PD is the same as my 52 Passat 130 PD?.........don't forget to have the cambelt tensioner changed as well.

As the power steering belt and auxilliary belt also have to come off, have new ones fitted rather than refit the old ones. Above all have only genuine VW parts fitted they aren't expensive and often cheaper than aftermarket.

Cambelt replacement is such an important item that personally I would only entrust to a known VW dealer. If something does go wrong you probably have a better chance of a satisfatory conclusion, plus you get a years warranty on the work. Why chance it to save a few quid!

If it's the original cambelt and over 4 years old it's already overdue! (No cnnections with VW!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes the engines are the same, but changing a passat belt is a totally different game. The Aux belt is not so important on a golf because it easy to change afterwards.

But like they all say get all the tensioner,damper (only upto 2002) and water pump changed 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Reasonable would be somewhere round the £175 - £225 mark for an independent, and add £50 - £80 for a main dealer. Depends on the location in the UK really. Also, make sure they know what they're doing. Certain threads on here from people who didn't know what they were doing leads to problems.

ECU remap should make no difference. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its a little bit more than that due to the price of the kit and, we always advise a water pump change on these models 169144-ok.gif