Golf RSi (or R36)

flintybob

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Don't see why, the 230PS,240PS,260PS all have uprated internals over the 185PS,200PS 2.0T so the 280PS is not a big step up.

[/ QUOTE ]

....That's what I mean - That uprated internals are needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Red, If there's only 900 being made it would be easy enough to harden and upgrade the internals to cope with 320 or whatever you consider the engine head room requirement to be. 4 pot or 6 pot, thats the question.

A re-map on the S3 engine would be easy for VW.

The 6 pot has always been too big for the Mk5 bay, so it's a real curious thing.

What engine would the RSi have?

A 280 bhp played about S3 unit or a 6 cyl R32 unit bored up, or a R36 unit after a hack saw has been used.

Anyone?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ QUOTE ]

....That's what I mean - That uprated internals are needed.

[/ QUOTE ]EDIT: never mind dylexic me read it as saying WHAT uprated internals are needed. smashfreakB.gif

I don't think for the extra 20PS over the S3 it will be needed. The reason for my thinking is that the 230PS/240PS are limited due to the gearbox and front wheel drive layout and are ideal power for the competition/market place.

The S3 due to 4wd does not need to balance the power as much so in my mind the 260PS was set to rival its competition ie the BMW 130i. I think the uprating of the engine they have done will cover the 20PS jump they prob had this in mind when nthey designed the uprated 2.0T engine lines.

Sorry, I'm not PMing anyone. Don't expect to take delivery of an RSi in 2007. If you want one that badly, put your money down at a dealer - it will be refundable returnable.

The new S3 265PS engine is a modded 2.0 TFSI engine (cam, turbo, bottom end). 265PS to 280PS is not very difficult to achieve...

sekret.gif

1 per dealer is a PITA.

Means that orders would be better generated towards VW UK and fanned out to dealers that haven't SOLD there one yet.

280 bhp 4 pot, feck that- not exactly nuclear science is it.

Buy a S3 and spend £300 on a re-chip and get 300 bhp without the odering or VW CS grief.

Hacksaw + R36 engine + active sus + the porker ceramic brakes (that don't sell as options) would be better, and far more interesting the_finger.gif.

If I wanted a 4 pot, 4wd racing machine there's far better £29k buys than VW mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]

If I wanted a 4 pot, 4wd racing machine there's far better £29k buys than VW mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Doubtless there is, but they will all be sold. VW don't care who buys them - they'll generate enough publicity to get people into the showrooms, which is the ultimate intention.

[ QUOTE ]

Surely VW can get more that 280ps from that 3.6. My 3.0d has 286bhp..........

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree, what's the point in producing the RSi with only c.40hp more to boot over the R32 ?? Must be more like 300hp unless there an internal VAG agreement not to push the envelope ?? Also, will the fuel consumption be any better with the 3.6 litre lump in the RSi as I cannot imagine the 55 litre fuel tank (in the R32) will be increased in size too for the RSi?? crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Surely VW can get more that 280ps from that 3.6. My 3.0d has 286bhp..........

[/ QUOTE ]

Comes down to the old branding thing, they cant make the VW golf faster than the S4, be shocked if it allowed to be faster than the S3 but VW need to start making money on the MKV golf before they make the cheaper MKVI next year. I suspect if this engine does go in then the old 3.2 will be dropped from thre VAG line up within a year. The 2.0 TT Quattro will be getting the S3 engine tuned to 280 BHP so maybe the S3 will get a power hike late this year to 280 BHP too.

All good news for hot hatch owners and the BMW 135i at 306 BHP will put the cat amongst the pigeons too.

AZ

Once and for all grin.gif.

Could someone point me in the direction of where in the world of VAG does it say that VW will never usurp Audi on performance, on near like for like models confused.gif.

Azure until you are prepared to battle your corner and offer some evidence, I see no reason why VW would work to a ceiling dictated by the Audi brand.

Maybe VW have final decided that they will adopt a open market, open design ideal- and that such historical constrants are part of the reason that the Golf brand has lost sales and isn't making money.

The other alternative, is that the RS3 has been signed off, so Audi are not worried about a 3.6 or 2.0 RSi Golf wink.gif

Mook, why do you continue to bat for a 4 pot, when various dealers seem to be suggesting the 3.6 engine. If you have knowledge, please impart it.

If your just speculating on rumours then be brave enough to qualify your so called definitive statements with the word speculative or I think or I would assume.

People seem keen to get facts, and you don't seem to be prepared to back up your posts with any level of finite factual definition- So are your facts right or simple speculative suggestions post a discussion with a VW dealer show room floor cleaner.

Being sarcastic, well that's below you mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Comes down to the old branding thing, they cant make the VW golf faster than the S4, be shocked if it allowed to be faster than the S3 but VW need to start making money on the MKV golf before they make the cheaper MKVI next year. I suspect if this engine does go in then the old 3.2 will be dropped from thre VAG line up within a year. AZ

[/ QUOTE ]

But the Golf is a different class vehicle to the A4, so this wont be a proble.

On the 'cant make it faster than the S3' comment, wasn't the MKIV R32 faster and more powerful than the old S3, as already stated in a previous post. Plus this is going to be a limited run golf, so it wont compare to the S3 anyway. 169144-ok.gif

chri5

I dont need to defend my corner as to be honest I dont give a f*** just putting my view across but clearly you are far better informed crazy.gif

Personally I dont give a rats arse about the brands upsetting each other but if you look back over the last few years it clearly exists as a policy, even within the Audi brand. The original S3 was not 225 BHP until the TT had been for a while as they didn't want it to upstage the TT. The new S3 could easily of been 280 BHP from launch but the new 2.0 TT Quattro is seen as a more flagship model so no doubt it will have this powerplant for atleast 9 months before the S3 gets updates. I would be surpised that all if the Golf RSI would be allowed to be faster than the S4 but hey whay do I know.

Dont think I care for 1 minute if the Golf RSI has 300 BHP, as BHP is not everything and if it is a better can than the competition then great. 169144-ok.gif

RS3 signed off by who shocked.gif

AZ

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Comes down to the old branding thing, they cant make the VW golf faster than the S4, be shocked if it allowed to be faster than the S3 but VW need to start making money on the MKV golf before they make the cheaper MKVI next year. I suspect if this engine does go in then the old 3.2 will be dropped from thre VAG line up within a year. AZ

[/ QUOTE ]

But the Golf is a different class vehicle to the A4, so this wont be a proble.

On the 'cant make it faster than the S3' comment, wasn't the MKIV R32 faster and more powerful than the old S3, as already stated in a previous post. Plus this is going to be a limited run golf, so it wont compare to the S3 anyway. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed it is a different class 169144-ok.gif

The old S3 has stopped production by then had it not, as I say its just my view so lets see what happens 169144-ok.gif

Defensive lot you R32 owners. crazy.gif

beerchug.gif

AZ

[ QUOTE ]

I cant see the point in the 3.2 (I had one) or the 3.6. Surely the 2.0t is the better bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think there will be lots of comparisons with the S3 as the RSi's base price is likely to be higher but so is the spec. Also the S3 is easily tunable whereas the RSi not unless the 300bhp/R36 changes are simple.

The S3 does have an older interior and smaller chassis though.