Folding mirrors. Or not...

RRR250

Can anyone help or has anyone else had the same problem. When I've folded my mirrors in and I return to my car to unfold them only one will unfold. I then spend the next 5 mins turning my car on and off trying to get them back into unison. It's driving me mad! been back to the dealership twice now but they can't find a fault on the computer so wont do any thing. It doesn't happen every time but is becoming more frequent. Please can anyone help to stop my neighbour laughing at me!

I have had exactly this problem! The first time it happened, my dealer replaced the mirror motor. All was fine for a while. Then it's started happening again.

I have a particularly good relationship with my dealer (for example, they changed over my wheels this morning free of charge) and I have been speaking to them about the problem.

I don't often fold my mirrors but I'm noticing that the problem is more common when I very quickly switch off the ignition as the mirrors have just completed their fold action. The solution (so far) is to fold....pause a moment, one elephant, two elephants....then switch off ignition/power. I think what happens is that if you don't pause, the mirror activator's 'brain' is confused when power ('blood supply' to the brain!) is restored.

My dealer tells me he wishes the problem would get worse and not be random, so he could know what to do. I wonder if other VAG cars have this problem. Mine's an 06 build.

HTH, mate 169144-ok.gif

I'm getting the problem when un folding the mirrors but not when fold. I've tryed switching the toggle after a few second and straight away but they seem to have a mind of there own. If one stays put it does not matter how many times I try and fold, unfold they stay as they are until I swithch the ignition off and on. Then re try. Mines a 55 and I'm close to trying a base ball bat!

I have the same problem but strangely it's always the passengers mirror which behaves itself!!! I have noticed that if I fold them in before switching off then they appear to behave properly. So I concur with RedRobin.

Is the software update done as a recall or is it a case of asking for it and is it free of charge?

What exactly is this update?

[ QUOTE ]

Is the software update done as a recall or is it a case of asking for it and is it free of charge?

What exactly is this update?

[/ QUOTE ]

....My understanding is that whenever your car is in for attention at the VW dealer, they can plug in the diagnostics and update your ECU if it's not already up to date. As far as I know it's free.

It's the same as a desktop computer's operating system getting a free update which includes fixes for bugs and known problems - Usually lots of minor things.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

It's the same as a desktop computer's operating system getting a free update which includes fixes for bugs and known problems - Usually lots of minor things.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds like Windows to me... grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps Apple might produce the iGolf, then?! In Candy White, naturally!jump.gif