Drove the V6 DSG yesterday

Dave

Finally got to take out the V6 DGS TT and really enjoyed it. it handles well... could do with a bit more power,but the real joy is the 6 speed DSG...

It is as every bit as good as the mags have said. it changes up so fast that there is a minimal drop in revs and it even blips the throttle on down shifts.. makes for very fast cross country stuff.

It's no where near as fast as my RS6.. but plently quick enough where it needs to be.. it's a bit strange but the TT is fast where the RS6 wasn't and visa versa..

the RS6 was massive on dual carrage ways and the like.. stick your foot to the floor and nothing would keep up.. not so clever on the twisty stuff.. the TT is almost opposite.. not so blindingly quick on the staright stuff, but show it a string of corners and the Rs would be miles behind...

Chuffed so far

Dave laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]

the RS6 was massive on dual carrage ways and the like.. stick your foot to the floor and nothing would keep up.. not so clever on the twisty stuff.. the TT is almost opposite.. not so blindingly quick on the straight stuff, but show it a string of corners and the Rs would be miles behind...

Chuffed so far

Dave laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this really the case Dave ? For a £60k im surprised EEK2.GIF Actually im glad grin.gif

Fraid so mate.. as good as the RS6 was/is, you cannot hide it's weight and size...

AS I've written so many times before .. it is the best long distance powerhouse there is.. I imagine it comes into it's own on the superb motorways in Europe.. I can imagine burning between cities and jumping out for a meeting without so much as a bead of sweat on the forehead...

BUT you are not going to beat any records down the twisty lanes to your local DIY store..

To be honest.. I don't feel that the RS6 was ever sold as a out and out sports car.. It's too comfortable and solid for that sort of work...

I hope that I have got my point across.. I wan't dissapointed with the RS.. far from it, I loved it.. but it's so different from other cars I've had.. massively powerful but it hid it so well..

I had a few moments when I went into corners too fast (because the car is always going faster than you think) and the front end wants to drift wide.. a bit nerve jangling on the small roads in Cornwall!!

I will put my name doen for an RS3 when it arrives.. I need more power, but want to keep the weight down aswell.. that's why I am also tempted by the TVR 350T smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I will put my name doen for an RS3 when it arrives.. I need more power, but want to keep the weight down aswell.. that's why I am also tempted by the TVR 350T

[/ QUOTE ] Mmmm a TVR is nice but its a different type of car (go-cart) yelrotflmao.gif buy a 2nd hand one... that way you should lose too much value.

Wouldnt the RS3 be a bit small in size for you Dave? maybe the next RS4 is more your cup of tea wink.gif

Riz

Interesting reading Dave, thanks. Judging by your Sig you have reached a decision, with DSG I presume? cool.gif The guys at my dealer were also very enthousiastic about the v6 with DSG, so I'll see if I can arrange a test drive sometime... Must be a great car!

Still find it hard to believe you sold the Uber car, it was sooooo beautiful! And a bi-turbo V8, well, that must be the ultimate thrill in my opinion... notworthy.gif

Maybe I'll check if its possible to modify the S8 that way... (if they let me keep the one kidney that is). The RS6 has the same 5 valve V8 engine I take it, or is it the 4 valve V8 engine?

No.. your right to an extent.. the RS6 has the same 40 valve engine as the S6 and S8, but it's not just a simple case of sticking a couple of turbo's on...

Timing, boost pressure, new piston heads etc etc would need changing.. I think it has been looked at by someone and they came to the conclusion that it would be cheaper to sell their car and by a RS6 than to try to modify the origional V8...

The RS6 was fantastic and I count myself as very lucky as having had one...i do miss it.. but life moves on cool.gif

Thanks Dave, I figuered it would be a big modification, and y'r probably right it'll be too expensive to be anywhere near sensible... Anyway, the S8 is already a pretty fast mover, so it's not really neccesary to glue some T's on it... grin.gif (would be fun though...)

I did look for an RS6 as well, but couldn't find one to my liking at a halfway decent price here.

And you've got the right attitude, people ask me too "why did you sell y'r Harley", "Why sell the Porsche", etc. For me it's also the fun in having the experience to own and drive great cars & bikes... And then move on to get another one... cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I tested one at the weekend as well. DSG is good, but not quite as quick as SMG. Lovely noise from the V6. Also tested TT convertible with the same setup and found it handled better than the coupe. Weird! Maybe because its heavier it felt more planted.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're the first person I've ever heard to say that SMG is quicker than DSG. Can you explain what you mean?

SMG changes gear in 0.09secs and DSG in 0.02secs so your comment seems a little at odds with the published figures and to be honest every magazine comparison I've read! shocked.gifcrazy.gif

No probs, I can explain. I went to an event last weekend called "Audi Sport Days" where a variety of Audis were on test on an airfield cool.gif There were 3 Audi S4's, 3 TT's (all with DSG) and 3 A3's with the new V6 engine but with manual gearbox. The A3 proved to be the most fun on the day as you could really chuck them around on the slalom course.

As I drive an SMG M3 everyday I jumped into the TT to get a direct comparison. Now, I dont know what magazines you are refering to but it felt slower, especially at high revs where the SMG is very quick.

In a briefing beforehand it was explained to us that the DSG when in first gear also has the 2nd gear engaged also, its just that the clutch isnt closed - when selecting second gear the clutch closes. This is supposed to give quicker changes and it is quick, but not as quick as I would have thought.

Its impossible that the DSG changes gear in 0.02 seconds - no way. You'll see when you try it for yourself.

There was also an article (in Autocar I think) that put the DSG and SMG together for a test.. they concluded that the DSG won in every area... and they especially like the blipping throttle on down changes

I've not driven SMG.. only manual M3.. so I can't compare myself.... crazy.gif

The difference is that the DSG is supposed to be sequentail rather than automatic,

Dave

[ QUOTE ]

There was also an article (in Autocar I think) that put the DSG and SMG together for a test.. they concluded that the DSG won in every area... and they especially like the blipping throttle on down changes

I've not driven SMG.. only manual M3.. so I can't compare myself.... crazy.gif

The difference is that the DSG is supposed to be sequentail rather than automatic,

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

I found that the TT only blipped the throttle in low gears for example changing from 3-2 or 2-1 and even then not every time. SMG blipps the throttle and is also sequential.

I read Scotty's review and I think without driving the cars back-to-back its difficult to see the difference.

Otherwise I thought the TT was fantastic, especially the noise. Wish the M3 had that low "grumble" as standard.

Drill,

The new A3 was the most fun of the day. It wasnt as fast as the TT or S4 but more fun to throw around in the slalom course because of its skinnier tyres.

The exhaust note is also slightly different, not as loud as the TT and more "clipped".

Handling was good fun, even with ESP on it was possible to get some slight over-steer, but very safe and predictable.

beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Should be here in about 2 weeks time.. when I return from Florida cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice one Dave!

I can see it now, one week into the holiday:

Daves kids "Awww we've only got a week left"

Dave "Bloody hell, a whole week still left!"

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Good luck with it!

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

Its impossible that the DSG changes gear in 0.02 seconds - no way. You'll see when you try it for yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

0.02 is what Audi advertise. Somehow I doubt they could get away with selling it as such if it didn't do it.

So far I've been out in a 3.2 three times :

1st time was at a sneak preview in Milton Keynes in July. I had to be good as the car was due to go to Evo magazine the day after for there reviews. It also had only a couple of hundred miles on it.

2nd time was at my local dealers - no rules so no restrictions. Dealer was surprised by the launch control! smile.gif

3rd time was a session at Oulton Park where the Sports mode really got a serious work out.

I haven't tried SMG ever, hence my query to you. Everyone else I've come across including Porsche, who are soon to use a DSG type 'box, seem to think it's superior/quicker than SMG. The last review I read was in November's Top Gear magazine.

"For the purposes of this test, the comparison of gearbox technologies and how they actually feel in driving situations, it's the DSG that gets our nod. It's nicer to use and actually adds to the fun of driving, rather than subracts."

"Compared with the Audi, the actual amount of time it takes to go from , say, second to third, is similarly swift. But then it seems to take a lot longer for the clutch to be let out, as if some virtual left foot is lingering too long on a virtual clutch pedal. Result: more lurching."

"This might appear churlish, but the SMG component seems to be one of the least attractive aspects of the car. Even though all that M division expertise has gone into it."

[ QUOTE ]

0.02 is what Audi advertise. Somehow I doubt they could get away with selling it as such if it didn't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point taken but it still doesn't feel that fast.

Try and get a go in an SMG (preferably CSL with the latest software) as you seem to rely more on what magazines are telling you than experiencing it for yourself.

I would be careful with Top Gear's reviews of the SMG as they seem never to have liked SMG, especially Clarkson (for whatever reason) and so will be biased against it.

beerchug.gif