Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dan32

Milltek Manifolds fitted

24 posts in this topic

Well, I finally got the call from Ed at APS to say they had received a set of manifolds from Milltek for my MKIV R32. I booked the car in and figured would be useful to get Superchips to do a remap to see what sort of gains could be expected. Unfortunately, I have never had a stock dyno run so this is only manifolds and then manifolds + remap. Here are some photos of the parts and the dismantling/rebuild.

The Milltek manifolds and downpipes

manifold9.jpg

Lee struggling to get his hand anywhere near the manifolds!!

manifold8.jpg

Lots of bits removed

manifold3.jpg

The offending exhaust area at the back of the engine with the heat shield of doom above it. This is the part which causes the most problems as you are effectively undoing/doing up these bolts completely blind.

manifold6.jpg

Old versus new

manifold7.jpg

manifold5.jpg

What looks to be quite a bit of restriction on the standard downpipes, probably due to the proximity of the propshaft

manifold4.jpg

The Millteks fitted. You can see the route they have to take to clear the propshaft

manifold2.jpg

manifold1.jpg

Let me first start by saying these are a pig to fit. Its at least a day (although as APS have done mine would think they will only get quicker) so budget for this when pricing up. The fit is spot on although another point to note is that due to the packaging of the R32 engine and gearbox, its likely the downpipes will have to be removed to do a clutch change although this isn't a big nightmare and will only add an hour tops to the clutch job.

Noise - perfect FIREdevil.gif Its the right side of noisy. Its still possible to drive the car in 'quiet' mode but open the throttle aggressively and the exhaust deepens and growls. Full throttle upshifts are met with a pop from the exhaust, reminscent of the quickshifters on motorbikes, and it has also taken away some of the raspiness. It is loud, but not in a way that your neighbours will want you dead by the end of the week.

Power - Superchips were kind enough to let me film some of the initial baseline runs (I'll try and get them up on Youtube and post a link) and let me tell you what an interesting experience it is standing next to a car doing 143mph standing still. Noisy doesn't even come close to explaining how ear splitting it is. Ed had his fingers firmly wedged in his ears whilst I took one for the team to get the video footage. Ears are still ringing.

Dave at Superchips managed to squeeze an extra 13bhp and 28lbft of torque on top of the manifolds from the motor. This is the power chart. Of note is that the rev limit was raised to 7200rpm.

SuperchipsRemap.jpg

Now I know everyone is going to say 'why are the numbers so low?'. The answer is, and the Maha dyno installer confirmed this, that the Superchips dyno is 7% down on its readings than the same dyno fitted to a reputable tuners. This means, with the 7% correction, the car produced 290bhp and Ed seems to think this would be nearer the 300+ mark. I never set out to get a dyno chart with big numbers on it. The point was to get the car dynoed so that the remap could be 'customised' for the manifolds.

Driving - well.........its awesome. Throttle response is so crisp and immediate. Torque feels as strong as before I had the manifolds fitted (torque theoretically should suffer due to loss of back pressure) and once it starts building reves, the car starts to really surge forward. It is now a quicker car and having driven home slowly due to traffic and a mpg experiment (hasn't made huge difference but shall keep an eye on it - main problem is how heavy my foot seems to be now as I want to hear the manifolds!) I then had a chance to boot it down a road I now and it absolutely flew.

Looking forward to using a few tunnels and multi storey car parks now!

As for the sekret.gif in another post, I nearly bought the cams as well as APS had a set in stock. "Credit card said no"

As usual, visiting APS was a lesson to any other tuner on how to treat customers. Cups of coffee, interupting Andy and Lee to take photos, bending Ed's ear about forthcoming modifications and general car chat, watching Andy do an R32 engine build with some interesting go faster parts (won't say anymore as the engine and car will be getting mag featured in the future), Lee coming to pick me up from mate's in the morning as the car wasn't ready to take the night before, Ed letting me 'bridge test' their MKV demo car (which is awesome bit of kit and in Ed's hands is effortlessly quick cross country), and everyone helping me to get my stuff out of the car which was now up on a lift with cars underneath it (I should really pay more attention at the end of a long day!), and all with big smiles and genuine enthusiasm.

Big thank you to RS32 for the lift down to friends in the evening and to Lee and Andy for working on my car for 2 days solid!!!

And the video of the dyno run

How much noisier is it Dan, I cant wait hear it mate although that may not be a good thing, look forward to a ride in it mate the next time I see ya if thats alright.

You can take it for a blast Roy. I'm happy to be an APS/Milltek pimp. You will want some when you hear it. Its only noisy when you make it noisy. I'm almost a definite for the next Brighton meet so you'll be able to hear it then!

jump.gif so pleased this has worked well Dan - bodes well for future efforts 169144-ok.gif

for the record my car has also produced lower numbers than expected on the same dyno, and I have another dyno's baseline to compare with - so nothing to worry about with the actual figures.

I want to hear the noise FIREdevil.gif

beerchug.gif

Its more of a grimace as the enormity of the credit card bill begins to sink in!

jump.gif sounds amazing Dan - you must be well pleased.

nice zoom on the numbers wink.gifyelrotflmao.gif

Did sound ridiculous. Zoom on numbers was going to be edited out but couldn't get the damn software to open the video so gave up. For the record it said 1 billion Bhp

Great review, thanks Dan32, I've been hearing mixed things about the manifolds up to this point. Could I ask what mods you've got please to get to ~290 bhp? Manifolds, miltek exhaust, cats? and a remap? Is that it? No induction changes? I need to go and dust my credit card off! bike.thumb.gif

Good write up and pics Dan 169144-ok.gif

That car must go like dung.gif off a shovel now jump.gif

Tumbletop - mods are:

Milltek straight thru exhaust

Milltek high flow sports cats

Milltek sports manifolds and downpipes

Superchips remap

EIP Complete Cold Air Intake

nice one dan car sounds amazing

im off to get my resonator box out my milltek today gonna enquire how much the guy would take to make headers and sportcats for me

Hi Dan,

Great to hear that your car got sorted and it was good to meet up with you finally!! 169144-ok.gif

I'll have a listen to that dyno run in a bit as well and make sure that I make the next big meet!

So what's the deal with the manifolds for the MKV then? Is there a reason why it works so well on your car and why it didn't work so well on Richards MKV?

Maybe this will be my next mod….well after the cams which I'm sure you'll join me on soon grin.gif

Credit card might have said no, but Mr Dan was saying yes yelrotflmao.gif

Cheers mate,

Chris.

As soon as I saw your post on the 'tex, I came here to hear more ;-) The torque curve looks very good!

Perhaps the MkV's lower compression ratio and different exhaust camshaft make it less responsive to these manifolds...?

Nice write up 169144-ok.gif

I'm glad it's running better than on the MKV. I must admit I am slightly tempted, but I have other plans for the beast (coming very soon sekret.gif)

And come on Dan, get the cams! You'll love em! ECLIPSe.gif

This is good stuff Dan, reference our chat the other night, I think Ed will be adding something else to my shopping list sekret.gif

jump.gif169144-ok.gif

He's got the cams in stock Jimmy! JaminBen - that is a possible scenario which makes them work on the MKIV better than the MKV. Could also be down to mapping as my map is better suited to the Manifolds

Nice vid Dan, the car sounds awesome, was wondering why your car had the original alloys on, is it so the readings aren't affected by the bigger wheels.

Very much looking forward to hearing it in the flesh. 169144-ok.gif

Dan,

I think mapping can't make up for poor exhaust scavenging, and ill suited cam events. Mapping can not take advantage of something good, but it can't make a bad "mechanical siutuation" right. In any case, I'm happy there is a good MkIV solution!

[ QUOTE ]

was wondering why your car had the original alloys on, is it so the readings aren't affected by the bigger wheels.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was one of the reasons I had changed the wheels, but also because its my winter setup and the BBS could get a decent clean, I needed to sort out a spacer/spigot ring not fitting correctly (sorted by using different make of spacers), and to get a little scrape on one of the BBS wheels sorted before the summer 169144-ok.gif

Dan, hope you don't mind me posting this but wanted to give a second view of how your car drives now.

In a nutshell, it's a cracking car. On top of the suspension and stiffening mods (which keep the car true and lively at all times) the new manifolds and remap have brought the whole package to life ! The noise it makes reminds me of the MkV version - but has a harder edge. And it certainly goes - from 2k rpm upwards there is a strong, linear pull - 3rd/4th gear are very interesting wink.gifgrin.gif

A very nice combination of mods - the latest tuning work just sets the car off, good job mate 169144-ok.gif

I have just spent 15 minutes perusing this thread, and now I am dribbling!!!!

I must admit, the idea of cams scares me off a bit, as internal work, I cant do, but I am tempted to try fitting a full system, when I can afford to buy one!!!!!!

Group buy anyone yelrotflmao.gif