Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Colin M

Major motor downsizing this week - Porka to Golf

21 posts in this topic

Sold the 911 yesterday. It was a fun car but not suited to 90% of my use of a vehicle. On balance the S3 was still the best package, a fast sure footed package that could be used everyday. With the seats folded down, I have carried ladders, garden waste, all sorts. Not possible with a Porka so I needed a second car.

A mate was about to chop in his old Golf to a dealer for silly money so I stepped in and took it off his hands. For £2,200 I got a 2 owner 1996 Golf 1.8GL with sunroof, electric everything and 68k on the clock. A London car that had been neglected, I popped it into Wheelbase for a cambelt, full service, MOT etc. Then spent half a day with the Autoglym and here she is, a half respectable motor for around two and a half grand.

Now, what to do with the proceeds of the 911 sale? Buy to let or has the bubble burst?

greengolf_sm.jpg

Cant believe the porka has gone already mate!!!!

You did a very good job with cleaning that car up...

Now you have a sensible run-around, and a bucket load of cash, why not go mad and get something like a caterham or similar?!?

[ QUOTE ]

Go to Thailand and blow the whole lot on drugs and prostitutes smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

OK....fk the caterham, go with loddrik's idea, the man speakth sense!

nah dude .....get an asset thats gonna appreciate not depreciate!!...buy to let is a good idea...but im sure you'll pay more for that kind of mortage....i think youd get a lower interest rate having a non status mortage....i know scaraborough building society had a very very good deal a month or two back....dont know if its stiull.... wink.gif ..you probably know all this already! smashfreakB.gif

That's a very sensible buy Colin, and a healthy looking Golf.

Many times I thought about chucking it all in and buying a Golf for a few K. It's the most sensible thing to do, esp. if you live in a big city. My Porsche got vandalized all the time, the Chevy was in fact too big for the city, so let's buy a sensible car, a nice Golf... But then the car virus roars its head again and... there's an S8 instead of a Golf. (Not that I regret it one bit) grin.gif

What you do with the dough depends on your infection with the car virus I guess. Just a sensible car (and maybe slightly boring over time), and a wise investment, or a 'you only live once and I don't give a ...' kinda car which will bring a lot of fun... (or something in between).

It's up to you, do what you FEEL is right... wink.gif

You dont fancy a M3/5??? Sencible, and almost as fun as the porche beerchug.gif

It's the thought of having £30k plus tied up in a car that worries me. The S3 was such good value. Now thinking about the TR6 route again. 2.5 litre straight six with a nice throaty sound. Can pick up a decent one for £8-10k.

[ QUOTE ]

It's the thought of having £30k plus tied up in a car that worries me. The S3 was such good value. Now thinking about the TR6 route again. 2.5 litre straight six with a nice throaty sound. Can pick up a decent one for £8-10k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice motors! laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The TR6 is a Triumph c 1970-1975 ..

1971tr6.jpg

notworthy.gifnotworthy.gifnotworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

Absolute beauty there Colin........

My ultimate dream car as a teenager, I still go all starry eyed when I see one on the roads...

If you buy, you either price one as a labour of love and spend hours maintaining the car or you price one thats in immaculate mechanical or electrical condition - and that will cost ££££££'s

So are you gonna spend the cash and just spends hours lovingly cleaning her, are you gonna spend the cash and spends hours taking her to the workshop and cleaning the oil and grease from under your fingernails !

Good choice of car Colin, good luck beerchug.gif

Colin - did you sell with the plate?

saw P20 RKA for sale in Porsche GB club newsletter for £1,150 shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Buy to let or has the bubble burst?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not going by the number of people I know who are landlords all of a sudden, it hasn't.

What kind of BTL would you be looking at? Student accomodation in University towns can be healthy business if you can stand the occasional aggro when the inevitable student parties happen. Either that, or go for a better property that you can get a premium price for. It helps if you have some kind of industry that uses contractors a lot - up here the Humber Bank industries will pay good money for quality housing for the long-term contract workers.

As an aside, who's the little guy running round in your sig? Is it Lawrence Lewellyn-Bowen? grin.gif

So no 911 and Sport Import business at the moment, what are you going to do in your spare time Colin?

Bjacks, yes, I get bored easily! The buy to let might keep me occupied, but just about to landscape my garden before it gets too cold and frosty.

Student accomodation not for me, I am looking at flats close to Surrey rail stations for London commutes and also BA crew (300 new cabin crew being hired in next few months).

Not decided yet. Now, where's that TR6 magazine? Pete, looking for a fully restored one (can't get my hands too dirty). Although this one is sold, take a look at the care that has gone into the restoration of this car. Effectively a new hand built car for £13k. Little over my budget but look at the guys work TR6 restoration pics

Colin

Have you considered investing in some artworks relating to motoring, they are scarce but always sort after. Watercolours of racing cars, Posters of famous meetings etc.

You would need to view them as a longer term buy, but you would get plenty of enjoyment from them in the mean time.

What happened to your S3 ?

I had a Golf 16 valver before the S3 and did over 200k in it, sold it clean and in standard state, not kevinised for £600. and is still going strong

beerchug.gif

RichardH

Fair shout. Will you be tempted by a new S4 when you've got the Sport Import prices sorted? That'll be an easy way to spend the porka cash grin.gif

BTW, any idea when this will be?

That chap must have been gutted when he sold that TR6 frown.gif

Cheers

Ben

Do the buy to let ( buy exlocal ) then rent back to the council, best tennants you'll ever have! No management grief, no extortionate fees from agents beerchug.gif