Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FunkyJon

Sporty(ish) and reliable for 3 grand?

24 posts in this topic

Hey chaps I could do with a bit of advice.

I'm finally in a position to replace my lemon of a Bora with something hopefully more reliable! I'd also like a bit of sportiness if possible (just fun handling would do, not too fussed about straight line speed to be honest).

Thing is I just don't know where to start!!

Bit of criteria for you, these ain't exact so i'm prepared to give a little just think of them as guidelines...

ok so I have 3 grand to spend, car should be:

Relatively cheap to run (servicing, fixing things should they go wrong)

Reliable (plan to keep it at least 2 years maybe more)

Seat 4 (2+2 considered smile.gif )

Fun to drive and/or a bit nippy smile.gif

Insurance group no higher than 12!!

Now based on this I could go for a second hand Puma, probably about 6/7 years old but it will have a few miles on the clock and I'm unsure about long-term reliability. Also do you recon I could fit a couple of 5' girls in the back for shortish trips without giving them chronic back pain?

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

ta

Jon

P.S Don't suggest a volkswagen unless you want to to start puking blood!

I'd go with the Puma for that money. A great handling little car that will make you smile. Dirt cheap to maintain (it's a fiesta underneath afterall), and (well maintained) should last you a couple of years no problem at all 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I'd go with the Puma for that money. A great handling little car that will make you smile. Dirt cheap to maintain (it's a fiesta underneath afterall), and (well maintained) should last you a couple of years no problem at all 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

True a decent car but a tad hairdresser-ish.

That is possibly true, but there are good reasons that some big manufacturers have used the Puma's dynamics as a bench mark when designing sporty cars 169144-ok.gif

Not sure what else would meet the requirements for 3K though...

hmmm....might i suggest the Audi Coupe? This is provided you dont mind higher mileage and something a bit older....

I know they're pretty chavtastic, but a VTS Saxo is great fun and cheap to run. A Pug 106 GTI is also great fun, as is a 306 GTI-6 or a 306 Rallye. All can be sourced for less than £3k. 169144-ok.gif

I'd take the 306 Rallye from the above. Little more cachet in the eyes of the true connoisseur, plus the 306 was always a lovely looking little thing.

318i isn't very sporty, but it does look good. With 69k miles that price seems very fair.

So a Corrado isn't likely to go down well then?

MX5, Baby Alfa ??

Not perhaps the obvious choice, cos it's too ...er ... obvious, but to fit your criteria I'd look at a Focus Zetec. Cheap, practical and great fwd handling.

definately the 306 gti6. I have owned one for 6 years and it is fast , handles superbly (passive rear wheel steering i heard)167 bhp, Reasonable to service and looks lovely for an older car. No major probs, a few small electrical probs. You wont get anything quicker for the money and age. Cant rate it enough, will be keeping mine forever as it will be a cult classic. Also it is quite rare now, could go up in value like an old ferrari. lol

i'd go for the Puma too. I'd remove Saxo from the list purely cos they're so damned unreliable but admittedly, they're a great drive and not too far off the Puma, dynamically.

Puma gets my vote! I love em.

If you can find a good 306 GTi6 I'd be very tempted. I suspect they're over group 12 insurance though, and there's probably alot of tatty ones out there. Basic reliability should be good though... and all the trim rattles usually stop after ten years - cos the rattling trim has finally fallen off. grin.gif

Saw a nice burgundy 306 GTi6 the other day. Cheeky bugger acknowledged my appreciative nod, then left me for dead! yelrotflmao.gif

I'll go with Garcon on the Focus Zetec. I am using my wife's one at the moment a 5dr zetec 1.8, cheap to run and insure. not the fastest I admit, but it always makes me grin on the twisties. Huge boot to.

You can easily pick up 900 Turbo or 93 for that money.

Im not sure of the INS. group they have a nice big boot though.

Some good replies here chaps!

I think I've norrowed it down to a few options and I'll do a bit more research into them, i'll be looking at Pumas, Focus Zetecs and Sporty 306s. I'm intrigued by the 306 rallye, might be a bit too spartan though but i'll give it a look!

thanks again guys, i'll let you know how I get on smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

i'd go for the Puma too. I'd remove Saxo from the list purely cos they're so damned unreliable but admittedly, they're a great drive and not too far off the Puma, dynamically.

Puma gets my vote! I love em.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to have a Saxo VTR, and they're great little cars, mine wasn't too bad on the reliability stakes, and they're fantastic fun to drive, but would I ever have one again? no... The sheer amount of hassle you get off other drivers and the ridiculous insurance would put me off, afterall they are mostly owned by chavs now so you kind of get bundled into the same group crazy.gif

I'd go with the GTi6 or the Puma too, or a Puma RS if you can stretch to it ECLIPSe.gif

The Puma is a great car but is more of a 2+1 if you're lucky and if the back seat passengers don't have any legs.

An old E36 shape BMW. Top notch motors with engines that go on for ever.

i'm selling my vauxhall vivaro 1.9 dti, if you need a bit of room confused.gifjump.gif

The 306 Rallye is spartan, but you'll be grinning too much to care! 1199 kilos, 167 bhp, 6 speed gearbox. Definitive Peugeot. bowdown.gif

The Puma is regarded as a tool by enthusiasts, but indeed sadly branded as a 'hairdresser' car by reps in their Vectras.

Ian

Buy an MX5, simple, tough, fun, and you'll never lose a penny if you buy now in the rainy season...