Audi R8 Driven... and its good !

CarMad

R8 Driven arcticle from Car Magazine

Verdict below just about says it all. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

An Audi supercar was a big risk, even though it was ameliorated by piggy-backing an established heavyweight like Lamborghini’s Gallardo. But Ingolstadt has pulled it off – spectacularly.

The R8 is handsome, dynamic and its refinement level carves out a new niche. If you want a supercar that rides well, and won’t wear you down on a long motorway drive, the R8 is your car.

[/ QUOTE ]

notworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

1057422-AudiR8.jpg

post-5401-137914388136_thumb.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

R8 Driven arcticle from Car Magazine

Verdict below just about says it all. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

An Audi supercar was a big risk, even though it was ameliorated by piggy-backing an established heavyweight like Lamborghini’s Gallardo. But Ingolstadt has pulled it off – spectacularly.

The R8 is handsome, dynamic and its refinement level carves out a new niche. If you want a supercar that rides well, and won’t wear you down on a long motorway drive, the R8 is your car.

[/ QUOTE ]

notworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, but according to some journos, the R8 cannot be classed as a super car becasue:

a) it will be reliable

b) its virtually plug and play

c) build quality too good

d) you don't have to contour yourself to get in and out of it

[ QUOTE ]

Ah, but according to some journos, the R8 cannot be classed as a super car becasue:

a) it will be reliable

b) its virtually plug and play

c) build quality too good

d) you don't have to contour yourself to get in and out of it

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I'm concerned, it can't be classed as a supercar because it isn't fast enough - the V10 version may well qualify as a super car, though.

As much as I want one, I've told my dealer that I'm not interested in the V8 because it's simply too expensive - a similar spec to my Porsche would be £90k+ and that's simply too much......

sidicks

Autocar R8 review

Their summary - Should you buy one ?

[ QUOTE ]

Definitely. If you’re already on the waiting list then well done, the R8 looks set to become 2007’s must-have supercar and we reckon early buyers are likely to enjoy substantial premiums come resale. And if you’re not on the list already? Well, presuming you’ve got £76,000 burning a hole in your pocket and a sports car-shaped space in the garage then join the back of the lengthening queue…

[/ QUOTE ]

All sounds good to me. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Four out of five stars won't help residuals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wondered what you meant by that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I presume that CAR would give the 911C4S five stars? If its more than four then that's another reason why people will not jump out of their 911's and into R8's.

[ QUOTE ]

As far as I'm concerned, it can't be classed as a supercar because it isn't fast enough - the V10 version may well qualify as a super car, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Near on 190mph is no slouch and if the chasiss allows all the horses to be applied it will be a potent package.

[ QUOTE ]

As much as I want one, I've told my dealer that I'm not interested in the V8 because it's simply too expensive - a similar spec to my Porsche would be £90k+ and that's simply too much......

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree it is a tad expensive. Wasn't the initial prices supposed to start at £54K? This I think may well be its achilies heel. The NSX was a very good car but its price was the thing that effected sales.

You are spot on, its the price. Its fast enough for me but for nigh on £90k its bordering on the price of faster cars.

I've actually now cancelled my order as I can't justify paying £35k more than an RS4 for the same engine and performance which is very similar. Roll on the RS5.

[ QUOTE ]

Merlot you said it yourself in your previous thread far too expensive for what it is!

[/ QUOTE ]

I can afford an R8, and I would like one.

However, I don't see much point in going down a litre and two pots, not really gaining much in the way of performance, losing three (ok, two really - the S8 isn't a very comfy 5 seater) seats, losing luggage space and losing lots of toys and comfort, plus paying both the steepest part of the depreciation curve on the S8, and the extra for the R8 to do so.

Perhaps when the V10 comes out, there might be some sense in having an A8 4.2 diesel for work and an R8 for weekends. Or perhaps the other way round...

A lot of people seem to be complaining about the performance not being blistering or on a par with the RS4, which is harsh. Take say a Boxster or Boxster S. Not the quickest cars around, but when you couple that performance with the chassis, suspension, feel etc they are very hard to cars to better.

Even though on paper the R8 appears not to be much quicker than the RS4 if it has the right setup chassis, suspension, feel etc it will be much quicker in reality. One thing that already gives it a performance advantage over the RS4 is the position of the engine.

Still thinks its overpriced though......

I know the car isn't cheap compared to some cars but its also cheaper than many. Its £20k cheaper than a Merc SL55 for goodness sake, surely its faster and more of a car as well. In my view anyway.

Lets face it Audi are trying to move more upmarket with each new car they release. Options are fewer and more expensive, they are becoming the Mercedes of the car market, not a good thing for me the consumer thats for sure. But at least they are getting better to drive and more attention is going into the quality of the engines, something they have lacked compared to the likes of BMW for a good while.

If I had the money I think I would go for an R8, everyone has a 911 and this is a stunning car that goes well and handles very well by all acounts. Whats not to like. 169144-ok.gif

I think its fairly good value too. Even better after a year! wink.gif

I doubt its faster than an SL55 though. That has 100bhp and a hell of alot more torque. More than enough I would have thought to compensate for the weight increase.

I would however take the R8 over the SL55. Id like it with a supercharger and extra 200bhp though to be honest. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Autocar R8 review

Their summary - Should you buy one ?

[ QUOTE ]

Definitely. If you’re already on the waiting list then well done, the R8 looks set to become 2007’s must-have supercar and we reckon early buyers are likely to enjoy substantial premiums come resale. And if you’re not on the list already? Well, presuming you’ve got £76,000 burning a hole in your pocket and a sports car-shaped space in the garage then join the back of the lengthening queue…

[/ QUOTE ]

All sounds good to me. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Auto5hite don't have a clue about the REAL market. This story is utter rubbish IMHO Flush.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Audi are trying to move more upmarket with each new car they release. Options are fewer and more expensive, they are becoming the Mercedes of the car market

[/ QUOTE ]

What, you mean they look awful and drive just as bad? Nah, can't see Audi going down the route MB have! tongue.gif

No just that each car they launch seems to be more expensive and worse value for money. Kit that used to be standard is getting dropped off not added.

It seem now they have matured as a premium brand its going to cost us all more money to stay in the club and I'm not sure the depreciation is getting any better either costing more at both ends of the deal.

As for dynamics they are improving a lot, thats not what I meant with the MB comment. tongue.gifgrin.gif