Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
geetee

how many cells are the milltek sportcats

18 posts in this topic

there is a custom exhaust builder in my town and i took my r32 down the other day to have the resonator box removed from my milltek ( what a sound now ) and i enquired about making sportcats £360 for a pair of 200 cell sportcats fitted and £500 for 100 cell.

he does loads of performance exhausts for all sorts of performance cars and his work is 1st class, is that a good price comared to say the milltek sportcats

ta (again) ices_blah.gif

Go for the milltek 100 cell race cat. As far as i'm aware they will meet MOT standards....just.

That's my understanding too - Millteks will just slip you successfully through the MOT. I wonder if the law will change re exhaust cats due to all the fuss about carbon.

Sorry for asking a stupid question but how do you get the resonator box removed from the Milltek? Is this something most places can do?

Does it sound a lot different as well?

I'm assuming it aids breathing thus helping performance?

Hmmm now the Milltek worm is in my head....race cats....mmmmm now that's a plan!! 169144-ok.gif

he just took the centre section off cut out the resonator box and welded in a new piece f stainless steel, i daresay if i had asked him he would have made me a new centre section and i still have the resonator box that he says he will ut in again if i dont like it. it does have a much better noise of it now. went home via the clyde tunnel from work tonight 5 minutes longer to get homebut had the window down going through the tunnel and stepped on the loud pedal, sounded amazing and had a grin all the way home. the guy says he has used the 100 cell cats on turbo charged cars mostly and they have all passed emissions tests no bother and the 200 cell ones would do the trick for a normally aspirated car

Chris - Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the Milltek system doesn't usually have any performance difference between the Resonated and Non-Resonated version. The Resonated is just a means of slightly reducing the sound levels and it's only slight.

Milltek can supply a straight section to replace the removed box. It's best to use their components and not DIY if you want to preserve Milltek's 'life-of-your-ownership-of-the-car' warranty.

HTH

My understanding is that cars that use OBD 2 setup (twin lambda sensors) need 200 cell cats, but OBD 1 (single lambda sensor) cars can get away with 100 cell cats.

That said, I know of a few Astra turbo's which are OBD 2, that have passed MOT's with 100 cell cats on confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Chris - Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the Milltek system doesn't usually have any performance difference between the Resonated and Non-Resonated version. The Resonated is just a means of slightly reducing the sound levels and it's only slight.

Milltek can supply a straight section to replace the removed box. It's best to use their components and not DIY if you want to preserve Milltek's 'life-of-your-ownership-of-the-car' warranty.

HTH

[/ QUOTE ]

znaika.gif As always Red, great bit of info 169144-ok.gifgrin.gif

To be honest, after a long drive yesterday (200 miles or so), I've decided that I probably wouldn't want the exhaust any louder. In fact it sounds spot on!

I would be interested in hearing what the no-resonated system sounded like, but I think I'll wait to hear one first before deciding.

To be honest, the Schrik cams will probably be the last thing I do to the car....well...that's what I'm telling the misses yelrotflmao.gif

Cheers beerchug.gif

Hi Chris 169144-ok.gif.

My Milltek experience is of course limited to the GTI, but being one of the first TSNers to Milltek a Mk5, I was asked a lot of questions by others in that forum. Like some other TSNers, I have met and had numerous conversations with Phil Millington (boss of Milltek) and can state that their 'mission' is to offer a durable performance exhaust but one which does not sacrifice driveability by sounding too loud. I have driven Resonated and Non-Resonated Mk5 GTIs back to back and, though audibly different, it's very subtle. Millteks don't really start getting louder until the engine is warm and working hard.

Sound recordings are simply not accurate enough to be reliable. The best way to judge is to hear live. The sound inside the car is also going to be different from the outside. I'm going to ask rs32 to do a drive past for me at a future meet - He has driven my car with me as passenger and I have complete trust in both his driving and care for my beloved GTI.

You best not attend any meets where there are Milltek'd R32s!! The V6 sounds awesome notworthy.gif

Doubtless your missus has told you that she has bought her last pair of shoes or handbag or whatever excites her to buy! wink.gifgrin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

HTH

[/ QUOTE ]

On my Mk4 I had the non resonated miltek first, then my cats exploded and got stuck in the Milek pipes I had to buy a whole new set. I went for the resonated and there was a huge difference in terms of sound. THe ST is MUCH louder, but in terms of performance there is nothing in it...

Hi Woppum, I am only able to comment on the sound difference on the Mk5 GTI. I know this is the R32 forum.

Why did you have to buy a whole new set? Wouldn't have your Millteks been changed under their warranty if you were their first owner?

I didnt change the cats to Miltek, only the pipes. There was a serious reduction of power and the amber emissions light went on the dash. I took it in to VW and they told me my cat had exploded and fragmented in to the exhaust which was causing a serious blockage. They told me if they didnt change the whole exhaust there was a risk I could blow my engine.

There was no evidence to show why the cats had blown, but VW's guess was I went through a puddle which splashed the red hot cats making them explode?! Your guess is as good as mine why it really happened. But I seem to remember a rather hefty bill for new cats and new Miltek!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

Hi Chris 169144-ok.gif.

My Milltek experience is of course limited to the GTI, but being one of the first TSNers to Milltek a Mk5, I was asked a lot of questions by others in that forum. Like some other TSNers, I have met and had numerous conversations with Phil Millington (boss of Milltek) and can state that their 'mission' is to offer a durable performance exhaust but one which does not sacrifice driveability by sounding too loud. I have driven Resonated and Non-Resonated Mk5 GTIs back to back and, though audibly different, it's very subtle. Millteks don't really start getting louder until the engine is warm and working hard.

Sound recordings are simply not accurate enough to be reliable. The best way to judge is to hear live. The sound inside the car is also going to be different from the outside. I'm going to ask rs32 to do a drive past for me at a future meet - He has driven my car with me as passenger and I have complete trust in both his driving and care for my beloved GTI.

You best not attend any meets where there are Milltek'd R32s!! The V6 sounds awesome notworthy.gif

Doubtless your missus has told you that she has bought her last pair of shoes or handbag or whatever excites her to buy! wink.gifgrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Red grin.gif

I've had the resonated Milltek system on my car since about 500 miles 169144-ok.gif However I was just interested in the difference in sound between the non-res and res smile.gif

Cheers,

ECLIPSe.gif

....You know what I'm like, Chris - Why use 2 words when 250 will do! grin.gif.

Regardless of which car, the consensus of opinion on TSN is that Millteks take about 1,000 miles to 'mature'. So the best is yet to come 169144-ok.gif. Ooops! I've just realised that "since 500 miles" means since 500 miles and not that you've only done 500 miles on Millteks.

yelrotflmao.gif yeah I had it put on early 169144-ok.gif

Done around 8200 miles on the car now and she's lovely!! I'm actually running pretty much the same spec as Richard in terms of the ARB's, Milltek, APS Remap, Short Shifter etc and Richard said that my Milltek sounded different to his. I think it's because his car has the dynomat in it for the stereo whereas mine is standard.

grin.gif