Q7 fuel consumption .........ouch !

Stitcher

Just covered 300 miles now in my new 3L TDi S line Q7, average over 300 miles was 16.3 mpg. I've been told it will improve slightly as the car slackens off but this is worse than expected 23-24 ish !

Good job I work offshore on the Oil Rigs for TOTAL, keeps the share price up !!

[ QUOTE ]

I certainly hope it gets better or else would have been better off getting cheaper petrol version.

[/ QUOTE ]

A guy came in our shop the other day with a 4.2 petrol and he says he has not seen double figures on the DIS yet, so I guess 16mpg for such a heavy car is not too bad?

I only got 26mpg from the 3.0 litre 535d, and that is 2WD and a lot lighter, and I got 21mpg from the ML270cdi, so I would expect around 19mpg from a Q7 once run in.

It all depends on your driving. I had an allroad 2.7 TDI as a service loaner and could get the instant mpg into single digit figures easily, yet a longer run (30-40 miles) on country A-roads was turning an average of about 33 mpg. It's all about getting up to 70 or 80 and staying there.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

16.3 mpg from a TDi EEK2.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

Colleague at work has a 2.7TDi A6 and he's getting less mpg than I am, only just starting to scrape 20+mpg

[/ QUOTE ]

The courtesy 2.7TDi A6 did no more than 13 on the day I had it sekret.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That is ridiculous, I got more from the new S8. confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

And we wonder why environmentalists hate 4x4s coffee.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they're crazy? The S8 averages 20 mpg, and if I changed it to an allroad 2.7 TDI, I'd be averaging 33 mpg or better, yet I'd probably get more flack for the allroad.

Of course, if I hated the planet, I'd buy a Prius and then run so many miles on it that the batteries needed replacing every year, at great energy and pollution expense. coffee.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know where you guys are driving or what type of boots you are wearing but although I get 17 on my 7 mile drive to work (hilly terrain and slow speed for three miles before I hit the main road) I have averaged 22.7mpg over the last 8500 miles and can get 26-27 on a trip on the M1/M62. I have a reasonably speedy boot but try and keep away from the brake! Q7 3.0 TDI. S4 cab gives 21.5 average with 24.5 on motorways.

• 1 month later...

I got my 3L TDi S line Q7 on 1st March. It has done 800 miles. So far consumption is around 24.5mpg on a variety of town, running around and motorway work. Not as much as I had hoped but nowhere near the figures above. I am not a slow driver. For comparison my E39 523 Touring (2.5 petrol) averages 27mpg and even does 25mpg driving 40miles into Westminster.

I have noticed two things:

1. Consumption increases significantly above about 80/85 mph

2. Shell V Power Diesel has a marked (positive) impact on both economy and performance.

I expect the fuel economy to improve as the engine beds in - my BMW is better now with 180,000 on the clock than ever before

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...