Passat Boot Lock Issue

rakster

Hi,

I have a 2003 passat TDI 130. Over the past couple of days i've been having problems with the boot. It will not lock. Decided to have a go myself. I have managed to get to the lock mechanism and can see that there is a coil like spring which is just loose (it's not broken i don't rhink but just loose). Now at the back of the lock there are 2 cables connected to it, one is an ISO type connector and the other one the end bit is silver and it just sits in a hole on the lock.

If i disconnect the cable with the silver end from the lock, the boot will close/lock but cannot be open. I can only open it from the inside as i still have access to it from the boot (i haven't put the lining back yet). As soon as i connect that cable the lock mechanism stops functioning.

I am hoping that someone could tell me what is the functions of those cables that connect to the lock and also what the issue may be. Is it the lock mechanism itself or something wrong with that cable?

Many thanks.

• 3 years later...

:)..Hi am new to this forum and `hope to help when I can.:grin:..

I was a bmerdriver for long-time but alas old Betsy has gone to the road to heaven via the local scrappy:eek: .any way I have also recently had issue with boot not closing. after many a minute taking the lock to bits and `my own knowledge of cars from many hours trawling the forums , I have noticed maybe something you have missed ,first of all I have found two springs , and as you have said one spring is loose and when I took mine apart I found a tiny one inside the workings loose and fell to the floor of boot ,now don’t ask cos at this point I don’t know where it comes from it was loose inside the works and when I removed the lock mechanism and investigated it fell out loll.:ffs:.so at this point am as lost as you .but, I may have an idea as to your issue being the same as mine .now when you look at the catch that actually does the locking on yours and gently move it does it return on its own? Cos mine don’t and that’s what is wrong with mine and I recon yours too. there fore the spring .must be off a catching inside me and as it’s not attached it is therefore not returning the catch to the correct locking position:(. if your spring is still inside then you may only need to adjust the spring you have slightly to connect to the catch ,and as mine don’t, then I recon it has two snapped springs, one inside the mechanism and as you have said one out side .

now if as you and I agree then we aren’t that far from a fix ...so next, you need to gently remove the lock mechanism and carefully remove the plastic housing (be gentle or you will snap the plastic and well who knows.

then let me know if you see the spring inside about 25 mill long and maybe 5mil thick ,you will hopefully still have yours attached inside ...if not then we are both F£%$£^$$£^ ed loll and I will refer back after I made a new one .if however it is attached then we can also test the catch returns

then this means to me you only have one to worry about as am pretty certain its all down to these crap springs snapping .and in your case easy fix as the snapped spring in your case is outside and to me it was easy fix as I removed it gently and modified it and now works as a spring and not a silly extra spring that just seems to spin round and round .how? well here goes ...remove the external spring that you said you can see and very gently bend the straight end back one full turn and bend the end bit into the shape of a hook. replace it back and hook back up if am right then your problem will hopefully be resolve and mine is not.lol

if how ever you like me also have a spring inside floating about and fall to boot floor when dismantled then you like me are in the same boat. in this case wait for me to write again ....how ever do tell me what you find so I can then follow what I told you after I work out where the internal spring should be .......

I would finish here and say if you cannot see where it belongs and I cannot decipher where it goes inside then I may get a spare from scrappy as I deffo recon its the springs causing this issue ...god luck ..and do let me know if you can how it goes ..

supercoop:roflmao: