DSG and it's future

Simonl

OK so we're all driving around in DSG cars covered by warranty etc. But what happens in years to come when a clutch(s) need changing, or a component breaks. IIRC it's a sealed unit is it not?... so if one bit goes, or a clutch needs replacing... are we looking at a whole new unit at huge cost? confused.gifEEK2.GIFUHOH7.GIF

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will of sold it well before then,moving on to something different.What for I dont know have had so many..............Its like anything once the warranties have expired the 3rd or 4th person down the line pays the higher costs,take buying an E55 AMG Merc secondand hand with several thousand miles on it,something goes wrong serious money...........

[ QUOTE ]

But what happens in years to come when a clutch(s) need changing, or a component breaks. IIRC it's a sealed unit is it not?... so if one bit goes, or a clutch needs replacing... are we looking at a whole new unit at huge cost?

[/ QUOTE ]

....In a word: No - The DSG consists of a number of compoments which are separately replaceable. There's a recent link in one the threads which gives more specific information.

Hi, i worry about what happens generally to the current generation of cars once they get to maybe ten years old and start reaching the bottom of the ownership heap. There's sooooooo much technology going on that they just aren't fixable by amateurs.

As a kid, the kind of cheap old cars we owned got cobbled back together with a couple of flat spanners and a mole wrench*, but in the future any kind of repair is gonna start with plugging in the diagnostics and connecting online to the manufacturer - not really a home maintenance possibility.

* OK, i own up, a couple of flat spanners, a mole wrench AND A HAMMER.

^ Its like that now mate play with late 90s cars most 1997 on cars are heavily computerised. I know i fix the damb things every Sunday.

ALL the political parties have plans to make cars be compulsory scrapped as soon as they reach 10 years old anyway so it will soon be a thing of the past. All under the global warming banner of cause they have found WMDs there called cars.

Hi, i must confess that all i've done to cars made in the last 15 years is stick washer water and, very occasionally, oil into them. I've built/rebuilt classics from the last nut and (polished, deburred,stainless) bolt and built many a classic race engine, but i lift the bonnet on a modern car, think "WHAT IS THIS STUFF" and then put it down again. frown.gif

i can do micrometers and dial guages and engineer's blue and stuff, but a whiff of vagcom and i'm lost.

Naah. outa warranty, i'm selling it!

"How big?"

Ok, you got me,

it should have read HammerS.

there was the precision half-pounder for electrics and instruments and stuff, going up to the really big one used for major overhauls.

If you read 1960's workshop manuals, there really are procedures where, for instance, removing a ball race says "drift out", polite way of saying 'get copper rod, it wiv ammer"

There seems to be quite a lot of folks on here who have had DSg faults / issues which have been resolved under warranty. My concern is not 10 years down the road but at the end of the 3rd year of warranty. I've owned some very troublesome low ,mileage cars under 4 years old in the past and could have run Porsches for the money I've spent on repairs 'just out of warranty'.

Some GTI's are about to reach 3 years old and I'll be interested to read how many DSG faults occur and associated costs to resolve.

[ QUOTE ]

Some GTI's are about to reach 3 years old and I'll be interested to read how many DSG faults occur and associated costs to resolve.

[/ QUOTE ]

My original point, and my main concern 169144-ok.gif

On the 10yr scrapping issue (which i have read elsewhere) what about the effects of carbon emmissions on building/shipping new cars (greater than the cost of CO2 in an old cars continued use?) Or what if you want to keep a car for it's rarity or classic status. I can't really see them taking a 10yr old Gallardo to the crusher can you?!? confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Will of sold it well before then,moving on to something different.What for I dont know have had so many..............Its like anything once the warranties have expired the 3rd or 4th person down the line pays the higher costs,take buying an E55 AMG Merc secondand hand with several thousand miles on it,something goes wrong serious money...........

[/ QUOTE ]

.... but in the case of the GTi nothing like the twenty thousnad plus pounds it cost to buy the car.

The "cheapest" thing you can do is keep it once you've paid for it.

But no one evry seems to see it like that grin.gif

BTW I think I read on hear that a DSG box complete is around £1500 so it's not exactly mega expensive 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

BTW I think I read on hear that a DSG box complete is around £1500 so it's not exactly mega expensive 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's still £1,500 people would prefer to spend on something else - like a holiday! I can just imagine the rows in some households - "Sorry, dear, we can't take the kids on holiday this year cos my DSG box needs replacing".

I agree, having had previous unreliable cars where I'm constantly putting my hand in my pocket for £350 a go every other month I decided to go for VW for some reliability. So far so good, but the idea of potential £1500 repair bills is off putting - happy I got manual as I plan to keep my GTI 4-5 years. With 2 kids and an expensive wife, £1500 could quite possibly put the wife in Bognor for the Summer hols instead of the Bahamas tongue.gifgrin.gif

Don't worry about it till something goes wrong. Or sell you car before the end of the warranty. I'm sure by the time problems begin to occur someone will have brought out stronger replacements. Is there any suggestion from TT owners that thing will get expencive?

There is probably as much chance of the manual box failing as there is with the DSG. There were problems reported about the manual box in the begining with issues selecting first gear. Something to do with the dual mass flywheel which had to be replaced. Due to the cost of labour the cost of replacement is probably not much different.

If I was buying again I wouldn't hesitate to buy DSG and it looks like I might keep this car for 4 or 5 years as well.

169144-ok.gif