R32 & kids??

anthonypb

Hi I'm currently thinking of swapping in my BMW330i Sport for a DBP Mk IV R32 and wondered whether they all came as standard with Isofix mounts for kiddie seats? My little lad is only 7 months old at the moment but it's not going to be long before I can put him in a fixed seat. Also does anybody have experience of different car seats and experience of kids and 3 door cars (I prefer the look of the 3 dr to 5 and he's only in there once or twice a week as my wife has an estate). Sorry for the multiple questions in 1 post but it's my first time on here, and I'm sure there will be plenty more! Any feedback gratefully received. Thanks.

Welcome 169144-ok.gif

Try a post on this gti thread looks like a bit of nipper experience here ! grin.gif

No nippers but this is my first ever 5 door car i've actually owned and it is soo much easier when providing taxi services grin.gif

Nothing wrong with a 3dr but now i have a 5 wouldn't go back. depnding on colour i dont think it looks too bad if you add the very reasonable factory tints 169144-ok.gif

we have our first on the way in a few weeks. I bought a car seat last week, and they told me having tried to struggle to fix a maxi cosi seat using the seat belt that my car had isofix.....so it is fitted as standard in a mkiv......

...so i'm now another eighty odd quid lighter.

I have a five door MKIV and 16 month old baby. I originally bought the car as my second car, but I loved it so much it became my daily driver.

I am really glad I got the five door, especially when he was younger and had a group 0 car seat. WOuld have been a right pain to lift him in and out.

My stealer told me I didn't have ISOFIX points!!! but I think they have been standard for a while. Just goes to prove the stealers know so little about our cars!!

I've got the MAXI-COSI Priori in mine, great seat and my little 'un loves it. They do an ISOFIX version too, but to be fair the seatbelt one I have is very secure and doesn't move anywhere. I've also got a Prince Lionheart seat protector underneath it. Glagow Pram Centre are very good on price.

I personally find it easier to get kids in and out of 3 door cars, due to the fact you can get inside and in front of them, rather than reaching across from the side. Also generally getting in and out of the front doors is easier on a 3 door as they open further and are about 6" longer.

If you're ferrying about any elderly people, then a 5 door would be the best option to make life easier for them.

I bought my Mk4 5-door R32 specifically as a family car, after we had a child.

We struggled for a while with a 3-door clio, the 5-door Golf was SO much better. My wife is small and none too strong and used to struggle to lift the baby in our old 3-door car. Opening the back door of the Golf makes it a doddle to fit the little lad in (who is now 2 and weighs a lot more!). Not sure why geetee thinks a 3-door car is easier to lift babies in and out of? How can a door in the back be worse?!

I agree your point about 3-door cars looking nicer than 5-door, but to be honest I'd never change my hassle-free 5-door! Also there are issues with the front seats hitting the roof on 3-doors, which may make it harder getting accessability in the back, maybe a 3-door owner can clarify this.

As for the ISOFIX, I've never found any mounting points, but maybe they are there? I have a Britax car seat, which suits the black leather perfectly. Oh yeah, I'd also recommend you get a seat protector to stop getting indentations (or spills!) on your seats, mine is this one: http://shop.babyworld.co.uk/DisplayDetail.aspx?prodid=706&secid=69

[ QUOTE ]

I Also there are issues with the front seats hitting the roof on 3-doors, which may make it harder getting accessability in the back, maybe a 3-door owner can clarify this.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true when you have the leather seats, they get stuck under the sun visor, and need a good push/pull to get them past it.

We have the ISOFIX Maxi Cosi in our Mkiv GT TDI. The isofix is like a metal bar between the bottom, and back cushion. The ISOFIX base comes with some adapters that help lock it on to these.

When I went to order my MkV R32, I asked if I could try putting the baby carrier (using seatbelt) in the back of their 3dr R32 they had in the showroom. I found it easier putting it in the 3dr. If I remember, the car has sockets in the back seat for the ISOFIX base to fit into.

Thanks for all the replies guys much appreciated.

I think I'll just have to have a poke around in the back of whichever car I'm considering, as I'm assuming from the last post that you just need to put your hand between the base and the back of the seat to find if the mounting bar is there?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Hi & welcome anthony. I have a neice and a nephew who are in and out my 3dr regularly 169144-ok.gif no probs whatsoever.

Your spot on...The 3dr is the bollox for the R.

er, sorry silverarrow coffee.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesnt bother me if you talk bollox fastlad coffee.gifgrin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I know where you can get a 3 door bodyshell, cheap the_finger.gif