Whoops! Is this a write off?

Shrops_Paul

It was the merc equivelant of a transit. White van man came flying towards me. I almost stopped in time but he has left about 30m of slid marks and shoved me backwards. I am hoping this will go down as his fault.

I walked away with some bruising from the seatbelt and on one of my hands from the steering wheel. No breaks though luckily. It apears the van driver was not wearing a seatbelt so he was a little worse but still walking

Usually if the airbags are deployed and there's that much frontal damage it'd be written off. The van skid marks should hopefully indicate his speed and position on (your side of!) the road, so that should help in apportioning blame. Main thing is that you're OK, as Nelson recently discovered, these A4's seem to protect occupants quite well!.

The insurers will probably write it off based on the cars evaluation and the cost of reparing the vehicle and not the extent of the damage. It is repairable IMO based on the pictures provided and I can assure you it will be sold at a salvage auction and back on the road in 6 months.

I wrote off a Mondeo about 18 months ago. The insurers are pretty good with paying out.

What I did was look around in Exchange and Mark etc for cars around the same age and mileage and geet an idea of the current value of the car.

When they then ring up and offer you a price on your car you can bargain with them knowing what your car would be worth, this does work. I ended up getting slightly more than I expected for my car (and cheekily even got them to give me 2nd hand value for a towbar and bike rack! 169144-ok.gif)

Glad to see you got out ok.

Something else to take into account is to remove everything that you want to keep literally! once they agree a price they will take the car away before you know it (stereos CD's alloys etc etc)