R32 ARBs on the TT

lottiefox

I'm not sure how it would affect your QS but on "normal" TT's it certainly has an effect.

Have you seen Wak's video where I caught him at Castle Combe. He pushed to hard, ran wide and then it appears the back tried to overtake the front. I'd virtually guarantee it wouldn't have happened with stock ARBs.

Do you feel the need or is it just coz someone recommended doing it?

Scotty, I've not seen that clip, do you mean the R32 ARBs had a negative effect on Wak's car? I don't want my rear end overtaking my front! shocked.gif

I went out in a TT the other week with them on and felt it was flatter through corners and just had a slightly tighter turn in, which felt good. Just pondering really, I like experimenting with the turtle! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Have you seen Wak's video where I caught him at Castle Combe. He pushed to hard, ran wide and then it appears the back tried to overtake the front. I'd virtually guarantee it wouldn't have happened with stock ARBs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I *think* Wak for a while had a standard front/uprated rear ARB set up on whiTTe for a sort while which would explain the snap rear end overtaking the front action.

I've had the R32 ARB upgrade on the S3 for a few months now and it's great! Body roll is significantly less pronounced.

The S3's ARBs looked like pieces of string next to the R32 jobs. Try and find out what diameter the QS ARBs are Lottie.

Word of warning however - make sure you have deep pockets as you'll want to upgrade the springs and dampers once you get used to the new ARBs.

[ QUOTE ]

I *think* Wak for a while had a standard front/uprated rear ARB set up on whiTTe for a sort while which would explain the snap rear end overtaking the front action.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could be right.

Lottie - I wouldn't say it's a negative. In the same way that a RWD cars isn't a negative when you can provoke the backend out but it comes down to degrees of how it does it.

Changing the ARBs for stiffer ones will dial out more understeer. Understeer is safe and hence you're moving towards a neutral or tail happy car.

I swapped the ARB on my S4 for the RS4 one and I love the difference.

All I guess I'm saying is why do you want to do it? It doesn't just reduce roll. You'll need to relearn the cars handling afterwards...if you push it hard enough. If you don't then it's probably not worth the cash.

[ QUOTE ]

Changing the ARBs for stiffer ones will dial out more understeer. Understeer is safe and hence you're moving towards a neutral or tail happy car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, but just want to expand on this a little (Lottie, get an ice pack as your head will now surely be thumping!)

Increasing ARB thickness at front = more understeer (no thanks)

Increasing ARB thickness at rear = more oversteer (yes please, but not too much)

The trick is to match a suitable rear ARB with a thicker than standard front one to provide a slightly oversteer biased or neutral setup without the snap tail-out action.

R32 ARBs are nicely matched, provide excellent control and you will notice a difference.

Fit and enjoy 169144-ok.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You could also try the Mk4 Golf 4Motion rear ARB only. It's a few mm thicker than the std 225/QS item and works nicely to improve turn-in. Ran my TT like that for 20k miles and it was great. Until my front ARB cracked (like everyone elses) so I got R32 bars F&R a few months back. It rids a bit flatter throught the twisties now but feels a bit more crashy. If I were you i'd try the £40 rear ARB only and see how it goes - it's also pretty easy just to change on your driveway.