Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
s1brt

'05 (55) Golf GTI 3 Door For Sale.

49 posts in this topic

....She's fully loaded! [the car]

Hope your family is doing well and enjoying your new arrival. Breast is best! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

SiBurt - what are you considering replacing it with?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe a 5 door R32 or 335i/d M-Sport saloon.

SiBurt - a PM to NickS3 may well help you out with your choice.

GTI looks good in black with the AP calipers cool.gif

Just my 2p, but i dont think you will get back anything from the performance upgrades. In fact, I think they shrink your market audience, as people are put off (not saying they are right), possible warranty issues etc. I would take them off and sell them separately. Good luck!

[ QUOTE ]

SiBurt - a PM to NickS3 may well help you out with your choice.

GTI looks good in black with the AP calipers cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Aleady ahead of you there rs32! wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Just my 2p, but i dont think you will get back anything from the performance upgrades. In fact, I think they shrink your market audience, as people are put off (not saying they are right), possible warranty issues etc. I would take them off and sell them separately. Good luck!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point edowen. 169144-ok.gif

I have considered that situation, but I thought I try to sell it as is just on the off-chance that the right somebody fancies it!

Obviously, if I return it to stock spec all the performance bits are available for sale, guys! smile.gif

i agree with ed! sell it as a standard car...people shy away from tuned stuff in my opinion...

When you consider what some of the mods are - Suspension and brakes and stainless steel exhaust, someone would be crazy not to want those! The ECU will have settled into what efficiencies the Millteks give. When the day comes to sell mine I won't be putting her back to standard - Far too much hassle imo. I too have all the original equipment to include in a sale but I would stick out and wait for an enthusiast. Modded cars are often more loved and looked after.

I know another TSNer who was especially pleased that the second-hand V8 S4 he was buying had Millteks and probably would have chosen it over one that didn't.

But it limits your market IMO. I personally would never buy a car with mods. I'm not expecting a sympathetic view, seeing as though i'm on an enthusiasts website... but mods are fitted to increase the performance of said car. That tells me that the current owners weren't satisfied with the stock car (usually after much trying crazy.gif) and needed more power/ability.

Of course they are all looked after, but loads of polishing and cleaning and regular servicing, normally comes at the cost of hard driving and/or track use etc. It's just my view and don't expect many on here to share it.

BTW it's not just modded cars, i would never buy a high performance car off a young twenty something, period.

You're not wrong, LeMan, and I agree with you about the young twenty-something seller. However, mods don't mean that a car is driven hard all the time. In my case, it will never be track used and I take the view that occasional performance use is actually good for the car. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

You're not wrong, LeMan, and I agree with you about the young twenty-something seller. However, mods don't mean that a car is driven hard all the time. In my case, it will never be track used and I take the view that occasional performance use is actually good for the car. 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The funny thing is i don't disagree.

I've just had a couple of bad eggs with regards modded cars... never ever again. 169144-ok.gif

There's nothing wrong with buying a modded car as long as it has been modified in a good way.

There are some terrible modded cars out there however (just look at ebay)

Si should have no probs selling his car in its current spec in my view.

Dont disagree, but you are in a minority. A minority of people mod their (newer) cars. Ergo, less people will want to buy a modified car over a non modified. Secondly, mods increase insruance (if you admit to having them - and if you dont you run the risk of no pay out/cancelled insurance). Finally, they cause problems with manufacturers warranties where they are still within the manufacturers warranty period.

I bought a golf gti with APR remap already applied. I removed it before I sold.

I think you'd be surprised how big the modified car sector is these days.

There are plenty of people out there who will not mind one single bit someone spending the money on mods in which they might do themselves after buying a standard car.

My old Ibiza Cupra modified with 5k worth of mods was snapped up from a Seat garage 2 weeks after I traded it in.

And you'd be surprised how many new cars (VAG too) have mods on them before the new owner takes delivery (at their request of course)

Courses for Horses I guess. To a certain degree, I'm a bit of an OEM freak on certain types of cars. But, if I had plans to mod a car then there would be two things I would look for:-

1. A single owner car that has been used generally as a daily driver.

2. Standard OEM spec with dealer history.

Why...well if I had the appetite to mod a car then I would ideally like to identify one that to date had been carefully driven to so I could enjoy making the mods myself in the hope / knowlege that although I was exploiting extra power / dynamics from my car, it would have a better chance of standing up to the upgrades without failure for longer.

Of course, a modded car doesn't mean it's been thrashed...but you are only increasing the chances of acquiring a hard driven example.

Just my two pennies grin.gif169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Of course, a modded car doesn't mean it's been thrashed...but you are only increasing the chances of acquiring a hard driven example.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. 169144-ok.gif

True...but why spend all that extra dosh when someone has already done it for you!

And as long as the mods are those you would have done yourself, I don't see a problem with buying a modded car in all honesty!

If the car was modded in a bad way i.e. products you would not have chosen and never heard of then I can understand the wish to seek out a standard OEM example.

[ QUOTE ]

True...but why spend all that extra dosh when someone has already done it for you!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing, but in the 'grand scheme' of the car buying public, those type of buyers are few and far between. If it were a 5k Pug GTI it wouldn't make much difference either way, but on a 2yr old £20k+ GTi, it massivley limits your market for all the reasons above. It's just personal preference... i like my cars purely OEM (exactly as they would have come out the factory). Man - I'd even be wary if there was a REVO sticker on the rear window! grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Man - I'd even be wary if there was a REVO sticker on the rear window! grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

.... sekret.gif

RevoSticker.jpg

I wonder who this GTI belongs to? grin.gif

Each to their own, and I do mean that most sincerely. Fortunately we each have our own individual preferences about what we will or won't want to buy.

I don't buy a car and then constantly spend my life in it doing what I think is best for the next owner. Whether a car is modded or OEM, it's guaranteed to lose money on resale. I mod my car for me to enjoy....I look after it as best as I possibly can - for me to enjoy. As a result, it's a much loved and well maintained car that may one day also make someone else happy. I accept losing whatever money I lose with no regrets but with every joy in what I have from driving her. Anyway, I stand by my mods as being good ones, as are SiBurt's mods.