2 quick questions a la GTI

njc851

Hi there

Missus is in the verge of buying a 2nd hand GTI (Mk5) on a 54 plate, looks the bees knees and drove well, so we're gonna go for it, however I noticed it didn't have a roof aerial.

Why is that?? my R32 has a bee sting one and thats an 06 plate

2nd question is it has the armrest cd changer combo already in, does that make it easier to get an ipod adapter in there (ie the hard work round the back of the radio and under the gearbox has been done) or is it still start from scratch?

All knowledge appreciated

thanks for the superquick responses!

right i get the aerial then that's ok, and i think it loooked quite clean too without it, less to snap off.

the stereo was the standard one , not the satnav, however the changer was there, so i assume it's an easy swap then.

I fitted the satnav on mine and it wasn't too hard, but i don't want to ruin the missus's new motor so the ipod kit being easy is a real bonus.

Siburt, your kind offer is appreciated, but it's a 54 plate 20,000miles and is £14,000, that's her budget limit, plus i dont want her having a cooler car than me!!

£200 , robbing swines!!

Its just a bit of plastic!! Short and curlies though eh?!!

It better be easy to fit then.

Think the car is gonna be ours mid week, so will have a look see at how it's all put together.

I said ours, should say hers!!

Cheers again folks.

Oxford lad,- yeehah jester's dead!

It was £150 but then VW noticed how many people started ordering it so upped the price at end of 2006.

It is just a bit of plastic yeah and the special Ipod interface (can't believe that would cost much)

So it is a rip off but flexibility in listening to a lot more songs than can be held on 6 CD's and the fact you have to keep changing them meant I was more than happy to spend that £200! laugh.gif

It's a 5 min job to fit. You just need to have the keys to unlock and pull out the CD Changer. This I got the Parts dept to do for me as you can't buy the keys off them.

Make sure you order the 2nd part which is the adapter plates to hold the different sized Ipods in place.

Chungster - you don't even need keys as far as I can remember... you just take the screws out that are holding it in place, it is that simple. (torx head)

You can do this yourself if you get the cable, took me about an hour or so.

I placed my ipod on the small little glove box to the right of the steering wheel, fits great in there and not so obvoius as the main glove box.

I got the lead from ebay for about 80 quid so saved a little bit at least - genuine VW part.

njc851 - "Slider............ you stink"

Right, sorry I thought he wanted to possibily bypass the arm rest totally.

Included in the 200 pounds is the arm rest "blank" which is the expensive bit, as you would just be left with a hole if you take the CD changer out.

So 150-200 quid it is not too bad, remember you can sell the CD changer on ebay or whatever.