Cheapest import

flnutt

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was looking I found motorpoint were around the same price as most other import places, with the odd very one. However these were irish imports with manual air con and sunroof, and no dual climate control. Just make sure it's not one of those (unless you don't mind but might be harder to sell on).

• 1 month later...

[ QUOTE ]

cars4charity.co.uk might be worth a peek, don't know if they're quite as cheap as motorpoint but you can take the moral high ground if you buy from them... 169144-ok.gif

But I didn't... lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a quote from cars4charity.co.uk today not bad but here is my info.

3 door dsg

xenon

18" monza II

smoke pack extra cigarette lighter for plugging in gadgets.

arm rest

high line computer > dont know what this is

red

cloth

delivery

On the road

£20.523

VW quoted 23,900

does the spec sound ok ?

motor point even better, but as you say cant be sure what market its for

I hope this helps.

smashfreakB.gifbeerchug.gifbeerchug.gifbeerchug.gifbeerchug.gifbeerchug.gifbeerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

does the spec sound ok ?

[/ QUOTE ]

As a comparison I paid £21k for a GTI with all the above options plus leather, RCD500 with soundpack, metallic paint and winter pack.

[/ QUOTE ]

could you please let me know where you brought your car from ? I might even place an order. 169144-ok.gif

Be very careful with the Motorpoint GTI's... They tell you the are european made but they are not UK spec and a lot of them were for the middle east or south africa.

They are right hand drive and clocks are in mpg but thats it.... Plus most of them are MY05 and you will only get 3 months Motorpoint warranty.

Some of the GTI's are UK spec but not many. (the are R32's however are UK spec and come with 2 year VW warranty)

Best go for the other companies mentioned above.

Best in my opinion to buy a UK car from a VW dealer. Discounts are available if you try around and the problem with an import is that you buy it cheap but its always worth less when you sell and therefore the savings may disappear. Also a shorter warranty may mean that you have a problem in the 3rd year that would be covered if the car was VW UK but not covered if you have a 2 year european warranty. Also beware of the 18" Monzas if you buy an import. They all seem to corrode but if your car is imported you may find it much harder to get the wheels replaced. Just a few thoughts....

[ QUOTE ]

Best in my opinion to buy a UK car from a VW dealer. Discounts are available if you try around and the problem with an import is that you buy it cheap but its always worth less when you sell and therefore the savings may disappear. Also a shorter warranty may mean that you have a problem in the 3rd year that would be covered if the car was VW UK but not covered if you have a 2 year european warranty. Also beware of the 18" Monzas if you buy an import. They all seem to corrode but if your car is imported you may find it much harder to get the wheels replaced. Just a few thoughts....

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true but with a saving of 3 to 4 thousand pounds, no fault in the 3rd year is going to cost that much!!! Nor will a replacement set of wheels for that matter.

My two local dealer wouldn't budge more than £500?!?!?

Here's my experience 5 years ago I bought a MK 4 Gti PD150 from EuroImports. It was a pleasure dealing with them. The car cost me 17K from Euroimports - my local dealer 's price would have been just over 20K. I then traded in this car 3 years later for just over 11K for a Subaru. So my car cost me less than 4 K depreciation - had I bought from my local dealer this I think would have been 7K - I did consider a new VW from my dealer and my local dealer at the time to quote told me "we will give me the same trade in price for your car as a UK sourced car - a few years ago you would got less when trading in an import now you get the same". Back to now. Its 2 years later I have just traded in my Subaru to Richard at Euroimports and bought a new MK V Gti. I got a very fair price for my Scooby and saved approx 4K OR just over 13 % on VW UK list price list for my Gti. I can not recommend EuroImports highly enough.

[ QUOTE ]

Here's my experience 5 years ago I bought a MK 4 Gti PD150 from EuroImports. It was a pleasure dealing with them. The car cost me 17K from Euroimports - my local dealer 's price would have been just over 20K. I then traded in this car 3 years later for just over 11K for a Subaru. So my car cost me less than 4 K depreciation - had I bought from my local dealer this I think would have been 7K - I did consider a new VW from my dealer and my local dealer at the time to quote told me "we will give me the same trade in price for your car as a UK sourced car - a few years ago you would got less when trading in an import now you get the same". Back to now. Its 2 years later I have just traded in my Subaru to Richard at Euroimports and bought a new MK V Gti. I got a very fair price for my Scooby and saved approx 4K OR just over 13 % on VW UK list price list for my Gti. I can not recommend EuroImports highly enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've lost me a bit....doesn't 17K less 11K mean a depreciation figure of 6K ( & not 4K ) ?

Get the general picture though. 169144-ok.gif

Thank you all for the advice, will keep shopping around but i do love the laser Blue or dbp paint job, buts its not around any more, I have spoken to VW yesterday and they said its only for the R32 and not available as an options and take it or leave it.

and the dealer wont budge on the price,

I went to motor provider today and they quoted me for £20.215

Dsg 3dr in red

Xenons,

18",

front arm rest,

parking sensors,

kerb view mirrors,

highline computer

cars4charaties

quoted me £20,523 for the same spec without the parking sensors.

Vw quoted 23.890 without parking sensors for a 5 door dsg.

Motorpoint quoted £19.400

5 door dsg in lazer blue,

cd changer

arm rest

Parking sensors

electric mirrors

18" Monza II

Xenons

i asked Motor Point why they have so many and also the warrenty issue, they said the cars were made in the dutch market and VW over produced so they ask Motor point if they would bulk buy for a cheap price but no warrenty, motor point is selling the 3 warrenty for "500 and will get it stamped by VW and have them do any work.

so where do i go? dealers wont budget, importing is a mind field.

my heart says love the three door shape

brain says 5 door incase we need to carry baby seats in the future.

as regards to the import loose money here is my story, in March 03 i imported a Golf MK IV GT tdi pd 115bhp with lowered suspension sports wheel, climate control for a total off 13,700 from oneswoop VW wanted 18k so a saving off £4300 and less depreciation is ok by me., a year later i part ex the car and i got 12,00 for the car, so i didnt do bad then only problem was it didnt come with the VW stearo but a sony after market fit stereo. so my forum friends what is your advise ??? smashfreakB.gifsmashfreakB.gifsmashfreakB.gifsmashfreakB.gifsmashfreakB.gif

Are you sure they are laser blue? That colour was discontinued the end of 2005!

DBP has never been available as an option on the GTI, you'd be hard pushed to source one in the UK. I got mine in DBP because it was ordered via a German dealer where you can specify pretty much any colour you like for little more than the cost of metallic. This was through Select Automotive.

I'd still be very careful with Motorpoint. They seem to tell everyone different stories as to why they have so many. I went to look at a white one at the Burnley depot and I've got to say when you looked close you could see it was quite old.

The rubber gators that carry the wires and water washer pipes from the car to the boot lid were rotten. You just don't know how or where these cars have been stored for the las two years. I spoke to Motorprovider and Euroimports and they were offered these cars last year.

They are not UK spec cars (but will be if you use Motorprovider, SimpleDeal or Euro Imports).

If you push Motorpoint and keep asking them they will admit the cars were not intended for European Sale, (South Africa or Middle East) hence the BIG spec and low prices.

Many People on here have used motorpoint and have been happy. But Motorpoint have also been in trouble with Trading Standards quite a lot.

Tough decision but I decided to walk away and wait for the exact spec I want.

Euroimports are in my experience and opinion the best overall in terms of quality of service, Richard really knows every last detail insofar as importing a car is concerned - through him you can be sure that your car is speced and appears exactly as a UK car would be. The savings with Select are very marginally improved but the trade off is that you have to do more of the paperwork and mess about with exchange rates yourself.

If people prefer to buy direct from their local VW garage for piece of mind and the feeling of 'buying a new car' and benefiting from the extra years warranty then I fully respect that. But anyone who thinks that there isn't actually a real money saving in buying an import is kidding themselves frankly!

PS. Little tip for you. For £110 my local VW garage did a pre-delivery inspection on my car (as they would do for any new car they sell), stamped the book and changed my plates from Euroimport ones to VW ones.