Cheapest import

flnutt

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

are there any disadvantages to buying a full uk spec import when it comes to resale value?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends. If you plan to sell your car privately or px against a car in a dealer network other than VAG, I suspect not - as if your car is 100% UK spec and you have taken some added precautions such as getting VW branded plates on it and VW stamps at service, it is unlikely to raise suspicion at the time you come to sell.

(You should also remember that there is nothing illegal or untoward about selling an import car but not declaring it, they are all made in the same factory, the difference in price is purely the difference in national taxes and dealer commission).

However, there is some debate (to which I personally don't subscribe) that if you were to px it against another car in a VAG dealership, they are able to search by computer and establish which dealer the car originated from. And if it doesn't give those details, they'd assume it was an import. It definately doesn't say 'import' in big letters anywhere!

In this case the drop in value could be anything between £1K to £2K over an identical UK originating car, but that is not likely to be passed on to the next customer who buys it 2nd hand from VW! The bottom line is I know for a fact that there is no official policy from VW, so that would imply some margin for negotiation.

Personally if I found a dealer offering me a poor price for mine, I'd keep trying until I found one who did. Even in a worst case scenario I will be up as I saved £3.5K.

[ QUOTE ]

Are you sure they are laser blue? That colour was discontinued the end of 2005!

DBP has never been available as an option on the GTI, you'd be hard pushed to source one in the UK. I got mine in DBP because it was ordered via a German dealer where you can specify pretty much any colour you like for little more than the cost of metallic. This was through Select Automotive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know the DBP is only available for the R32, its a shame, but it is advertised on Motorpoints website web page

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah your correct oops - 17K -11K = 6K but not as much as had I bought from my local dealer - 9K - The figure I got for trade in was £11,300. It's worth a look at Euroimports as I said. Good luck

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you all for your input, I will possible order one from the 3 mentioned importers if my VW dont budge on price,

your inputs be taken on board.

I went with Motorpoint. It was 3 grand under list. Very happy with the car. Only things NOT to UK spec was the fact that I didn't get a spacesaver tyre in the boot (you get that glue stuff instead) and the dipped headlights are set to be on all the time (I have had this reset at the dealer for 40 quid).

You DO NOT get the red carpet when you deal with them or collect your car. The collection of your car is a pikey experience. The attitude of the sour faced scrubber who handed be the keys was unbelievably bad. But all in all, I'm not bothered. I have a handsomely specced 5 door GTI for £19,300.

And mine hadn't been in the yard for years either. I had to wait 3-4 weeks for the thing to be imported and actually be in stock.

I would use Motorpoint again, but don't expect 100% UK spec, and don't expect the red carpet and you will be fine.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

However, there is some debate (to which I personally don't subscribe) that if you were to px it against another car in a VAG dealership, they are able to search by computer and establish which dealer the car originated from. And if it doesn't give those details, they'd assume it was an import. It definately doesn't say 'import' in big letters anywhere!

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it does,if a VW dealer types the reg of an import into their system it will say on the first line that it is a personal import,that is if it has been registered with VW UK which it has to be to get any warranty work done.If it has not been registered with them for whatever reason the reg number will not come up at all and then immeadiatly they know it is an import or it's been on a private plate before and swapped back.

[ QUOTE ]

I'd still be very careful with Motorpoint. They seem to tell everyone different stories as to why they have so many. I went to look at a white one at the Burnley depot and I've got to say when you looked close you could see it was quite old.

The rubber gators that carry the wires and water washer pipes from the car to the boot lid were rotten. You just don't know how or where these cars have been stored for the las two years. I spoke to Motorprovider and Euroimports and they were offered these cars last year.

They are not UK spec cars (but will be if you use Motorprovider, SimpleDeal or Euro Imports).

If you push Motorpoint and keep asking them they will admit the cars were not intended for European Sale, (South Africa or Middle East) hence the BIG spec and low prices.

Many People on here have used motorpoint and have been happy. But Motorpoint have also been in trouble with Trading Standards quite a lot.

Tough decision but I decided to walk away and wait for the exact spec I want.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hiya all,

to clear the air on the imports at motorpoint, I have just rang then again and pushed and pushed for the reason why it only comes with 3 months warrenty.

the nice chap who i spoken to afvised me that the car only comes with the 3 months warrenty is because the cars were produced in 05 and the warrenty starts at the production date, so they have been sat at a Dutch compound unsold, it makes no sense because.

1, if produced in 05 that is over 2 years old, so no warrenty unless its produced late 2005

2, he said the market that the cars were intended was europe, but with a few forums on here it does say the cars was for africa,

3, i have spoken to a few sales persons at motorpoint each one gives different story.

so i think i will take my spec to VW and see if they will budge on the price if not I will go to motorprovider as they are about 30 miles away from where I live.

I hope this helps.

I would not except a 3 month warranty on a washing machine, so I would not except one when spending nearly £20k on a car.

Sod the discount, if it goes bang after six months or needs a look at by VW, any savings will be gone, and you could end up spending a whole lot more.

just my 2p from a cautious man who believes in sods law. ices_blah.gif

[ QUOTE ]

thanks for your advice that has made things a bit clearer. you mentioned the vw branded plates and stamps, could you tell me more about getting this done?

[/ QUOTE ]

When a car is ordered from a UK dealer, the car is built in the factory in Germany. It is then sent to the UK dealer who, upon reciept of the car, do what is called a 'pre delivery inspection' which is a list of about 120 checks, including inventory checks, quality checks and valet to remove delivery wax and so forth, they also put the official VW branded number plates on the car (the ones that say what dealership the car was from). Assuming the car passes all this, the VW dealer stamps the book, 1st page, and completes all the dealer details.

In a nutshell, I took my imported Gti to my local VW dealer and for £110 quid they did this 'pre delivery inspection' on my car and produced VW number plates for me - and stamped my book - AND filled in all the supplying dealer details! I've even slotted the salesmans business card into the pocket in the log book!

For £110 this is a no brainer thing to do as it will prevent all but the most eagle eyed people from deducing that this car is an import. There's no point giving VW salesmen more credit that they deserve!!!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it does,if a VW dealer types the reg of an import into their system it will say on the first line that it is a personal import,that is if it has been registered with VW UK which it has to be to get any warranty work done.If it has not been registered with them for whatever reason the reg number will not come up at all and then immeadiatly they know it is an import or it's been on a private plate before and swapped back.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about mate, your just guessing here.

My imported car, like any UK car, was registered on the VW warranty list by the factory because the first 2 years of the warranty are a factory warranty, nothing to do with VW UK at all. Nothing whatsoever.

If you want to dis IMPORTS because you don't agree with it or your miffed you paid £3.5K more than you had to, then say so, but don't lie about it to put people off. Thats not what this forum is for.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about mate, your just guessing here.

My imported car, like any UK car, was registered on the VW warranty list by the factory because the first 2 years of the warranty are a factory warranty, nothing to do with VW UK at all. Nothing whatsoever.

If you want to dis IMPORTS because you don't agree with it or your miffed you paid £3.5K more than you had to, then say so, but don't lie about it to put people off. Thats not what this forum is for.

[/ QUOTE ]

VERY TRUE CMC950. My importer (Motorprovider) registered my car for me at a local VW dealership. Shortly afterwards I received my VW UK assist card in the post. I have took my vehicle in for numerous warranty work at different dealerships with no issues whatsoever!

There seems to be a lot of sour grapes from those people who paid 3-4k more for the EXACT same vehicle as those who acquired their vehicles using different channels.

CMC950,it's you who doesn't know what you are talking about,how did you deduce i was 'dissing' imports from what i said?? i wouldn't hesitate to buy an import if the price is right and it is on the GTI.

You stated that a VW dealer wouldn't know if your car was an import and you didn't believe that they could type your reg into a computer and establish it was an import,i say they can and that is a 100% fact wether you believe it or not,it will say 'PERSONAL IMPORT' on the first line.

[ QUOTE ]

CMC950,it's you who doesn't know what you are talking about,how did you deduce i was 'dissing' imports from what i said?? i wouldn't hesitate to buy an import if the price is right and it is on the GTI.

You stated that a VW dealer wouldn't know if your car was an import and you didn't believe that they could type your reg into a computer and establish it was an import,i say they can and that is a 100% fact wether you believe it or not,it will say 'PERSONAL IMPORT' on the first line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi all, CMC950 and Dsgwagen

I totally agree with Dsgwagen, I imported a golf back in 2003 and it came from holland, same spec as a uk car, but the VW computer will point out its an import, you can not get past the fact the the first sticker on the service book will the have foreign dealers stamp on it, no big deal if its an import, your just cutting the greedy stealer out off the picture, but the fact is it will show its an import on the computer and on your service book that is why you get a certificate off comformaty with the car. its great to save the extra 2-4 k off the uk list price, i would import again.

hapy motoring any one, BTW sorry if i have upset anyone, these forums are for the greater good off info so we all belong to a special group off car owners, jump.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now your desperately back tracking in an attempt to look less stupid. (1) You said that at the time a car is registered for warranty it would state if the car is an import. That is incorrect. 2) No you don't know it is fact that they can type my registration number into a computer and establish it is a personal import, although I note that your boundless ego extends to demanding that I accept that you are right because you say so.

Now your desperately back tracking in an attempt to look less stupid. (1) You said that at the time a car is registered for warranty it would state if the car is an import. That is incorrect. 2) No you don't know it is fact that they can type my registration number into a computer and establish it is a personal import, although I note that your boundless ego extends to demanding that I accept that you are right because you say so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mate all this says it that you have not owned much cars or even a new one, Any main dealer can find out the history of your car when putting information through there system. fekr.gif

The easiest way to solve this is to go into a main dealer and ask for a p/x price on an ED30 or R32. The p/x value given SHOULD reflect if they have determined that it is an import. I will be the guinea pig on this because I have VW dealership number plates and no foreign stamp in my service book other than the manufacturers 'data' sticker and a dealership oil stamp. I will post the results.....

Apparently it does to some. smile.gif There must be people here that work for VW dealerships and have had some experience of dealing with px imports.

I bought a uk based car through the internet and saved quite a bit off the list price (not as much as the 3 or 4k saving of an import) but i'm using my car primarily for work so it was important to me that I had a 3rd year warranty and I couldn't be arsed with the hassles of getting a third party one.

Plus i've suffered really badly with depreciation on my last car and didn't want to take the risk of an import which may or may not have given me a bad trade in value.

I'm happy to pay that little extra for a litle bit more peace of mind and less hassle. Each to their own. It's a free world. -> Actually if it was I wouldn't be worrying about depreciation!! smirk.gif

If the car was primarily for personal use i'd probably have been more happy to go for an import and save £££'s

[ QUOTE ]

Euroimports are in my experience and opinion the best overall in terms of quality of service, Richard really knows every last detail insofar as importing a car is concerned - through him you can be sure that your car is speced and appears exactly as a UK car would be. The savings with Select are very marginally improved but the trade off is that you have to do more of the paperwork and mess about with exchange rates yourself.

If people prefer to buy direct from their local VW garage for piece of mind and the feeling of 'buying a new car' and benefiting from the extra years warranty then I fully respect that. But anyone who thinks that there isn't actually a real money saving in buying an import is kidding themselves frankly!

PS. Little tip for you. For £110 my local VW garage did a pre-delivery inspection on my car (as they would do for any new car they sell), stamped the book and changed my plates from Euroimport ones to VW ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi all - my first post on here. I am expecting delivery of a GTI (import) in the next few days (and seriously looking forward to it!). It will already be PDI'd but I'd like to get it done in the manner described above by CMC950, so that I have full English stamps in my English service book from the start. So the question is this - CMC950, could you let us know which dealer was prepared to do your PDI and 'Supplying dealer' stamps etc for £110, as this seems like a VERY sensible thing to do. Happy for you to PM me if you'd prefer not to name the UK dealer on here.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm also picking up my imported GTI in the next few days, where are you getting yours from?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's from Motorprovider - one of their cars in stock, they just happened to have exactly what I am after so I haven't had to wait the usual 12-14 weeks for one.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Euroimports are in my experience and opinion the best overall in terms of quality of service, Richard really knows every last detail insofar as importing a car is concerned - through him you can be sure that your car is speced and appears exactly as a UK car would be. The savings with Select are very marginally improved but the trade off is that you have to do more of the paperwork and mess about with exchange rates yourself.

If people prefer to buy direct from their local VW garage for piece of mind and the feeling of 'buying a new car' and benefiting from the extra years warranty then I fully respect that. But anyone who thinks that there isn't actually a real money saving in buying an import is kidding themselves frankly!

PS. Little tip for you. For £110 my local VW garage did a pre-delivery inspection on my car (as they would do for any new car they sell), stamped the book and changed my plates from Euroimport ones to VW ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi all - my first post on here. I am expecting delivery of a GTI (import) in the next few days (and seriously looking forward to it!). It will already be PDI'd but I'd like to get it done in the manner described above by CMC950, so that I have full English stamps in my English service book from the start. So the question is this - CMC950, could you let us know which dealer was prepared to do your PDI and 'Supplying dealer' stamps etc for £110, as this seems like a VERY sensible thing to do. Happy for you to PM me if you'd prefer not to name the UK dealer on here.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem, Alan Day VW (Finchley Rd Dealership).

I know Paul Tanner personally (who is the MD of Alan Day Cars and he ok'd this for me, but when I visited the the garage I never got around to mentioning that and they did it anyway, so it should be fine - If not PM me and I'll call them myself.) ... Oh, hence I know what I am talking about with regards to the warranty registration and customer/car information held by VW.

For the record I called Paul this morning and he said that regarding 'NEW AT FIRST REGISTRATION', following a recent EC directive, the LAW is that there is no longer any reference to the car being an import on vehicle documentation and so it would be unlawful of any dealership to register as such. The most information that VW are permitted to hold about a car if they do not know what dealership sold it is NOTHING. Furthermore, it is not the Law that you have to declare that your car is as a personal import. I didn't know that. Great!

I implore you not to listen to these people who continue to express these falsehoods regarding the ease with which VW can determine if a car is an import. I've said all I can say on the matter. If people still disagree, let them.