Cheapest import

flnutt

[ QUOTE ]

No problem, Alan Day VW (Finchley Rd Dealership).

I know Paul Tanner personally (who is the MD of Alan Day Cars and he ok'd this for me, but when I visited the the garage I never got around to mentioning that and they did it anyway, so it should be fine - If not PM me and I'll call them myself.) ... Oh, hence I know what I am talking about with regards to the warranty registration and customer/car information held by VW.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks very much, that's really useful - I'll PM you if I need any more help.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

CMC950,it's you who doesn't know what you are talking about,how did you deduce i was 'dissing' imports from what i said?? i wouldn't hesitate to buy an import if the price is right and it is on the GTI.

You stated that a VW dealer wouldn't know if your car was an import and you didn't believe that they could type your reg into a computer and establish it was an import,i say they can and that is a 100% fact wether you believe it or not,it will say 'PERSONAL IMPORT' on the first line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now your desperately back tracking in an attempt to look less stupid. (1) You said that at the time a car is registered for warranty it would state if the car is an import. That is incorrect. 2) No you don't know it is fact that they can type my registration number into a computer and establish it is a personal import, although I note that your boundless ego extends to demanding that I accept that you are right because you say so.

[/ QUOTE ]

1.VW UK have a computer system which holds all information on uk supplied vehicles and the service history of them,if you type the registration of an import into this it will not be recognised.

For a warranty claim to be done on an import the car MUST be registered on this computer and the first page of service book showing data sticker and purchase date and dealer gets faxed off to VW UK.The car will then be added to this system and it will state that the car is a personal import.

2.Yes i do as i have worked at one for 12 years.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

CMC950,it's you who doesn't know what you are talking about,how did you deduce i was 'dissing' imports from what i said?? i wouldn't hesitate to buy an import if the price is right and it is on the GTI.

You stated that a VW dealer wouldn't know if your car was an import and you didn't believe that they could type your reg into a computer and establish it was an import,i say they can and that is a 100% fact wether you believe it or not,it will say 'PERSONAL IMPORT' on the first line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now your desperately back tracking in an attempt to look less stupid. (1) You said that at the time a car is registered for warranty it would state if the car is an import. That is incorrect. 2) No you don't know it is fact that they can type my registration number into a computer and establish it is a personal import, although I note that your boundless ego extends to demanding that I accept that you are right because you say so.

[/ QUOTE ]

1.VW UK have a computer system which holds all information on uk supplied vehicles and the service history of them,if you type the registration of an import into this it will not be recognised.

For a warranty claim to be done on an import the car MUST be registered on this computer and the first page of service book showing data sticker and purchase date and dealer gets faxed off to VW UK.The car will then be added to this system and it will state that the car is a personal import.

[/ QUOTE ]

Errrrrr... have you not read the previous posts. My Importer reg'd my vehicle with VW at a local dealership. That means that whenever I choose to take my vehicle into ANY dealership they could type my reg plate in the system and HEY PRESTO I am listed. No , NOT as an IMPORT but as someone with a UK VW Assist card and a UK FULL WARRANTY. Hey, guess what... this worked a treat when I had to claim against a faulty oil cap. No questions, No hassle with my local dealership even though my IMPORTER reg'd my vehicle 200 miles away! Now that magic!

Get your facts straight before preaching to the choir m8 wink.gif

fekr.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Errrrrr... have you not read the previous posts. My Importer reg'd my vehicle with VW at a local dealership. That means that whenever I choose to take my vehicle into ANY dealership they could type my reg plate in the system and HEY PRESTO I am listed. No , NOT as an IMPORT but as someone with a UK VW Assist card and a UK FULL WARRANTY. Hey, guess what... this worked a treat when I had to claim against a faulty oil cap. No questions, No hassle with my local dealership even though my IMPORTER reg'd my vehicle 200 miles away! Now that magic!

Get your facts straight before preaching to the choir m8 wink.gif

fekr.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Think you are getting your wires crossed,no dealer cares wether your car is an import for warranty purposes so of course you are not going to have any hassle claiming as yours has obviosuly been registered on the system i mentioned in my last post.

If i type your reg in now it will say it is an import thats all i was saying,nothing more nothing less.

Somthing worth mentioning is that not all importers register the cars with VW UK as yours has obviosuly done,if you register it with VW UK you get your 1 years VW assist and the warranty runs from the date the original dealer sold it.

If the car is not properly registered with VW UK or the original servive book is lost detailing when the car was pdi'd by the original dealer then the warranty runs from when the car left the production line,this potentially could lose someone a bit of time from the warranty.

Out of interest today i typed in about 30 different registrations of imports i knew of,27 were not on the system so that would immeadiatly tell me they are imports if i didn't know already,the other 3 which had been registered all said on the first line PI / MK5 GOLF GTI 2.0T 200PS 3DR and were sold by a dealer 969 which is a special dealer number for imports so i immeadiatly then know it is an import,it would possibly show up on a HPI report as well but that i can't be sure of.

Next time you go to the dealer ask them to type your reg into dialog and see if it says the same.

[ QUOTE ]

Somthing worth mentioning is that not all importers register the cars with VW UK as yours has obviosuly done,if you register it with VW UK you get your 1 years VW assist and the warranty runs from the date the original dealer sold it.

If the car is not properly registered with VW UK or the original servive book is lost detailing when the car was pdi'd by the original dealer then the warranty runs from when the car left the production line,this potentially could lose someone a bit of time from the warranty.

Out of interest today i typed in about 30 different registrations of imports i knew of,27 were not on the system so that would immeadiatly tell me they are imports if i didn't know already,the other 3 which had been registered all said on the first line PI / MK5 GOLF GTI 2.0T 200PS 3DR and were sold by a dealer 969 which is a special dealer number for imports so i immeadiatly then know it is an import,it would possibly show up on a HPI report as well but that i can't be sure of.

Next time you go to the dealer ask them to type your reg into dialog and see if it says the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your delusional. Now your claiming that you know more than the MD of Alan Day cars, the DVLA and the law combined.

This is most typical of the misinformation being peddled by the scaremongering Dealers, the very people who are most disadvantaged by the fact that it is now so easy, to save money by buying cars in mainland Europe. (Note. We have joined the EC incase you hadn't realised). Oh, you work for a dealer, so now we have your motive too...

One last time: NEW AT FIRST REGISTRATION Following a recent EC directive, there is no longer any reference to the car being an import. This is the law regarding declaration of a personal import. It would be unlawful of VW to deem a car to be an import, by speculation, as you appear to be doing, although frankly your entire 'story' above strikes me as absolute bulls4it.

Sorry if you find this post rude but I find your deceitfulness to be totally out of order on a forum that is meant to here to help people interested in GTI's, not to be harrased by dealers who want to peddle rubbish about importing. Hopefully the mods will note this conversation. I hope the other members can see through your drivel. I've got nothing more to say on the matter.

Isn't he saying though that the computer system would come up with no information, and from that, there would be a conclusion it was an import?

It is indeed true also that if it's not registered first in the UK then the warranty runs from when teh car left the factory. I know this because the broker who I'm trying to get the car from told me this. They'd have many reasons to tell me information to the contrary, but many not to say what they did.

HPI though - I'm baffled as to why that would contain any information to do with imports?

[ QUOTE ]

Isn't he saying though that the computer system would come up with no information, and from that, there would be a conclusion it was an import?

It is indeed true also that if it's not registered first in the UK then the warranty runs from when teh car left the factory. I know this because the broker who I'm trying to get the car from told me this. They'd have many reasons to tell me information to the contrary, but many not to say what they did.

HPI though - I'm baffled as to why that would contain any information to do with imports?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh come on, wake up!!! That would be deducing the car was an import by SPECULATION. I'm sorry but a reputable international car dealer are not going to lower themselves to that level, which would be breaking the law.

This is great stuff. Dsgwagon, as CMC950 has stated, you have clearly been rumbled and have a vested interest not to promote IMPORTS. I can confirm that a HPI report DOES NOT contain any info on imports. I am the first reg'd owner on my V5 which says NOTHING about my car being an import. So how the fook would HPI know. The asnwer is that they dont. As for the whole VAG thing then I would tend to side with CMC950 (due to his compelling and inside info). That said, I would always sell privately and walk into any dealership with cash.

[ QUOTE ]

Sorry if you find this post rude but I find your deceitfulness to be totally out of order on a forum that is meant to here to help people interested in GTI's, not to be harrased by dealers who want to peddle rubbish about importing. Hopefully the mods will note this conversation. I hope the other members can see through your drivel. I've got nothing more to say on the matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this comment absolutly ridiculous,you seem to have the impression i am on a one man mission to banish all imports or somthing.You have called me stupid,deceitful and a liar and all i have done is post facts,everything i have posted is true.Surely the deceitful one is a person who has gone out of their way to try to cover up the fact their car is an import hoping to gain financially?

Please answer me one thing,if there is a system with every car VW has sold in the UK in the past 20 years or so on it,and i type a chassis number into it and it is not there,what other reason could there be for it not being there? i would have to assume it was an import surely? and then take steps to prove it?

Lets not get away from the bigger picture here though,if you take an import for warranty work you are not going to have any problems,the dealer doesn't care if it's an import,they get paid the same for repairing it.

The problem i've got is you seem to be suggesting to people that when they trade it in at a VW dealer they aren't going to know it's an import and offer more money for it,i say there are ways they will know.

[ QUOTE ]

This is great stuff. Dsgwagon, as CMC950 has stated, you have clearly been rumbled and have a vested interest not to promote IMPORTS. I can confirm that a HPI report DOES NOT contain any info on imports. I am the first reg'd owner on my V5 which says NOTHING about my car being an import. So how the fook would HPI know. The asnwer is that they dont. As for the whole VAG thing then I would tend to side with CMC950 (due to his compelling and inside info). That said, I would always sell privately and walk into any dealership with cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes if you were to sell it to a dealership of a different brand or privatly there is a chance you would get away with it,that i agree with but not what we were discussing.

Feel free to send me your chassis number and i will tell you where it came from,if i am able to do this then that is ilegal going by previous posts?

Ive not read the whole thread as it got abit argumentative. So this may have already been asked.

[ QUOTE ]

I would always sell privately and walk into any dealership with cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious

If someone phoned up about your car when you had it for sale and asked

"Is it an import ?"

How would you reply ?

I know its normally the first think i have been asked in the past both by private buyers and also dealers if asking for a cost to change.

[ QUOTE ]

Ive not read the whole thread as it got abit argumentative. So this may have already been asked.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious

"Is it an import ?"

How would you reply ?

I know its normally the first think i have been asked in the past both by private buyers and also dealers if asking for a cost to change.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose you had to be truthful and say yes its an import, or and if that person looks in the log book it will poss got stamp from foreign deal in it.

Quick story - I have just sold my GTI.

It was an import - put it on Autotrader and advertised it as an import that was fully registered with VW UK and gave the expiry date of the warranty (IE two years not three). I priced it against the other cars on there that were the same year / spec, not cheaper (IE than ads stating UK CAR NOT AN IMPORT).

Anyway I put it up on Friday, got a call and viewing on Saturday, and the car had gone by Monday. I got lucky maybe as cars can be difficult to shift sometimes. But one things for sure, if I was buying new and could make another big saving buying an import, I'd do it tomorrow.

I would make sure that in my ad for the vehicle that I stated 'Full UK VW Specification'. That should hopefully divert any import related questions. TBH before I owned a GTI I would have never put it in the catagory of a typically imported car. If someone has obviously done their homework and asks the question I would say that the vehicle is NOT a grey import and that it wasnt acquired via a VW dealership.

[ QUOTE ]

I would make sure that in my ad for the vehicle that I stated 'Full UK VW Specification'. That should hopefully divert any import related questions. TBH before I owned a GTI I would have never put it in the catagory of a typically imported car. If someone has obviously done their homework and asks the question I would say that the vehicle is NOT a grey import and that it wasnt acquired via a VW dealership.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you're presuming that most punters are a bit thick mate. If they are shrewd enough to ask you the question, they are going to know when you are answering it like a politition.

Why is it that people who import cars (and make great savings in doing so), seem so put out at the mere suggestion that their cars potentially aren't worth the same as a UK sourced vehicle come resale. The differences would always be smaller so you will always be quids in. ices_blah.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Why is it that people who import cars (and make great savings in doing so), seem so put out at the mere suggestion that their cars potentially aren't worth the same as a UK sourced vehicle come resale.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe because over 3 years old there is absolutely no difference between a UK car and an import.

But I guess if you know something was originally purchased at a healthy discount you feel less willing to pay current market value for it and are entitled to a portion of the saving.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious

"Is it an import ?"

How would you reply ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Legally I would not have to declare it as an import, so I would not. If the law was I had to, I would.

Answer me this. Why should my IMPORTED Gti (full UK spec) be worth any less than a UK Dealer one?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious

"Is it an import ?"

How would you reply ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Legally I would not have to declare it as an import, so I would not. If the law was I had to, I would.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would check up on that if i was you.