swirls and how do i remove them!!

bigface

As well as above; Yes you need a PC, SSR2.5 should have a good crack at it, you might require several passes depending on the paint type. You will need to find a lighter polish to finish the job, SSR1 for example. It is possible to go SSR2.5 to glaze or LSP but it requires some practise and to come off using a lighter pad.

Geoff

[ QUOTE ]

If its VAG paint SSR might struggle to shift them, you might want to try some of the menzerna cermiclear range instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree 100%. Forget the ssr did not a lot on my R32. The menzerna ceramiclear polishes are excellent and designed for such paintwork. They have a long work time and IP followed by Final Finish should shift them, it will take quite a while though, use a yellow sonus pad or better still get some of the megs or lake country ones.Finish up with a good glaze sealant and a long lasting wax like Collinite or megs 16.

Nice car.. bet you can't wait till March ! 169144-ok.gif

But how's it got so swirled confused.gif

I have a Diamond Black Golf GTi and can highly recommend Menzerna IP and Final Finish as suggested above. If your whole car is swirled I'd probably use the IP.

I use 4" Sonus pads with my PC and they work fine.

Just make sure you try out different combinations / methods on a test area until you are happy with the results before doing the whole car.

Make sure you keep polishing until the polish has fully broken down (ie. when it goes clear), otherwise you end up with a very slightly dull/marred finish (with IP) which is particularly noticeable on Diamond Black in the sun. This will be time consuming but worth it in the long run

Hi Alastair,

The first thing to do about swirl marks is top putting more in if you havent already!! On the main part of the cleaning forum there is a guide to washing your car. You can get a mitt and a drying tail on special offer from AlexC (see the special offers part of the forum).

When it comes to removing swirls you might want to check how bad they are and decided if you are going to want to buy Porter Cable swirl remover. It seems you have a lof of cars so it might well be a good investment of less then £200 for you.

Lots of products like Autoglym Super Resin polish do a good job hiding swirl marks. It all depends on how adventurous you want to be!! Let us know!!

Geoff

PS. How far did u get with sorting the fiesta??

Thanks for the quick reply Steelwind 169144-ok.gif

eek looks like i should stop using a sponge then!! My son washes the car in question but i know he uses the sponge and bucket method. Will have to look into getting a Mitt.

The Fiesta has gone into a garage and they are going to give me a quote soon. If its over 2k then I'll buy a replacement.

Just a quick note on the Menzerna S34A Power Gloss that was mentioned... Please be aware that this is a very aggressive compound and should be used with care and only when absolutely necessary (that is, only if a few hits of PO85RD3.01 Intensive Polish is getting no where...).

It will leave its own micromarring, especially when being used by PC as it wasn't really designed for use on a DA machine, and the PC struggles to effectively break it down. So do follow up with a finer abrasive such as Final Finish PO106FF to remove this marring.

Also, the older Menzerna products, of which S34A is one and PO91L is another, suffer from dusting and drying out - they are best used with a slow cutting method to keep the polish lubed so you can fully break the polish down.

Personally, I would kick off on a test spot by trying PO106FF Final Finish thoroughly worked, as if the swirls are light, chances are this is all it'll need even on harder paints. I have achieved excellent correction on hard paints with PO106FF alone when thoroughly worked. If the PO106FF doesn't remove the swilrs on the test spot, step up to PO85RD3.01 Intensive Polish and I would be surprised if this doesn't get you anywhere... Only if the IP really isn't getting you anywhere, step up to S34A Power Gloss on a 4" cutting pad, and follow with the 106FF.