GTi Turbo..

Specific07

Hi.. im a new boy to this site, just joined.

Only joined for my passion of VW's.. i'm looking at getting a Mk 4 GTi T (150).. Im learning mechanics at the moment so i thought it would be a nice project.

if anyone could give me any opions on these cars and if anyone has owned one any info on them would be great. Once i have it i will be having it remaped to 180 bhp then superchipped then the turbo upgrade to the K04 so should be looking around a total of 240bhp.. I know these engines are good to around 300hp without any major work like pistons.

If someone could guide me it would be a help tho.

THANKS FOR THE WELCOME.. cool.gif

haha yeh i've test drove the 180bhp but thats too expensive on insurance for me.. The 150hp is still expensive as im only 19 with 1 years no claims.. its gona cost me £160 a month over 10 months so around £1600 in total but i cant wait to do it.. i know they are abit dodgey on corners and have abit of body roll but im sure that can be easily adjusted by messing with the suspension and adding a strut brace. lol.gif

I too owned a 99 Mk 4 GTI (150). It was a great car and I felt that the power was in line with the car's handling. Personaly, I think increasing the bhp to 180 would be ok, but as you said, you would need to beef up the handling department if you go for 240!! Is the £160 a month based on the car prior to you modifying it?

[ QUOTE ]

yeh i did think of that, aint too sure if i'll declaire the engine mods.. bit of a risk i know but im young and want decent power lol..

[/ QUOTE ]

....Obviously it's entirely up to you, but you need to be aware that if you don't declare your mods to your insurer, your insurance could be totally invalid and if, for example, some kid steps out and it's clearly not your fault, that won't matter regarding blame but you'll still be in seriously deep sh!t. It's just not worth not declaring.

Wouldn't your Mk4 be out of its 3-year warranty anyway?

Some mainly the late 150 TDIs were only badged GT TDI though. Theres a green one at the end of my street.

I also agree with you the TDI if not going too mad on tuning would be my choice mainly for fuel reasons. But the 130 will goto 180bhp and the 150 to near 200bhp with a map and i have driven a chipped 150tdi and its quick it also helps smooth the power delivery out too.

Less thirsty, better mpg, more touqre and Cheaper car insurance guaranteed. I think they are like a group 12 for a diesiel, you could go up to 220 bhp with a Revo re-map stage 2 diesiel engine. either way i would up-grade your braking system all round cos you might just end up mashed smashfreakB.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I too owned a 99 Mk 4 GTI (150). It was a great car and I felt that the power was in line with the car's handling. Personaly, I think increasing the bhp to 180 would be ok, but as you said, you would need to beef up the handling department if you go for 240!! Is the £160 a month based on the car prior to you modifying it?

[/ QUOTE ]

The £160 a month is the car without the mod's.. the mod's as far as the turbo upgrade are just options at the moment.. Will deff have a remap tho, surely insurers cant tell if its been remapped?

Yeh the TDi's are a group 12 i think but i am in two minds about the TDi and GTi petrol.. to be honest the petrol would probably be my choice, sounds like the wrong one tho but thats just me..

[ QUOTE ]

Will deff have a remap tho, surely insurers cant tell if its been remapped?

[/ QUOTE ]

....If an accident or claim is serious enough they can send the ECU away for checking. They can find out - I know someone who has been offered such work by an insurance company! Be warned - It's NOT worth it - How would you feel if you ran over a kid who subsequently died or became a vegetable and you weren't insured? (even if not your fault) Let alone the private legal proceedings you would then potentially face.

Do you still think it's worth your saving on your premium? znaika.gifNONO3.GIFopenfire.gif

rightly or wrongly, i have not declared a remap before and i wouldnt blame him if he took his chances and done the same...i certainly wouldnt let it put me off buying the car....i too would rather go for the petrol, the diesel may make more sense, but if that was the primary factor we would all be driving a jumped up tractor and not the cherished toys we have 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

rightly or wrongly, i have not declared a remap before and i wouldnt blame him if he took his chances and done the same...i certainly wouldnt let it put me off buying the car....i too would rather go for the petrol, the diesel may make more sense, but if that was the primary factor we would all be driving a jumped up tractor and not the cherished toys we have 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you.. I do like the diesel's but personally i dont think i want one at this stage in life.. I've driven a couple, like the Focus TDCi and the Astra TDi.. fair enough they are quick.. ideally i'd like to get a Seat Ibiza Cupra TDi they do 0-60 in 7.4 seconds.. but are insurance group 15 and too expensive for me.. atleast with the GTi T i can get one for 4k with decent mileage then spend a little each month on insurance.. laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]

i wouldnt blame him if he took his chances and done the same...

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet you would if he crashed into you and it had to come off your policy. Sorry but i have no sympathy, it's no better than having 'one too many' IMO. Your increasing your cars power, thus invalidating your insurance. Might be tempting right now mate, but if you have a crash (which you probably will because we all have) you won't be smiling I can assure you - and it will come back and bite you on the arse for years to come. suicide.gif

I'm with you Red Robin.

Besides the dubious insurance position, what is the point in a 240bhp diesel? No doubt it'll be great in a straight line, but the mark 4 was never known for its handling....so what happens when a bend comes along? Speaking as someone who's woke up to find a modded Saxo parked upside down in my garden, all I can say is leave well alone...or save your pennies for something that can handle the extra power.

(Better still, spend your money on brakes and suspension geometry...)

[ QUOTE ]

....errr something I should know?!

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe, he often mentions or alludes to his mods that include an AP big brake kit, eibach springs with koni fsd shocks and of course his milltek exhaust in his postings.

no doubt he will reply to this posting pointing out I've left out the revo remap and eibach ARBs... grin.gif