tyres

caddy

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Certainly I'd probably not bother with GSD3's on my S4 again. Yes the grip in the wet is (marginally) better than the Conti's, but the wear rate on the front was very poor - through to the inside edge cords in 9k miles. The replacement Conti's on the front are a great deal better than the original OE ones were and I'll probably put another pair on the rear when they need doing in the next few 1000 miles. Certainly had good experiences of both PS2's and P Zero Rosso's on Porsche's though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've not had as bad an experience with Contis as others seem to have had. The grip in the wet is good and they don't wear too badly. Noisy though I find...

[ QUOTE ]

Certainly I'd probably not bother with GSD3's on my S4 again. Yes the grip in the wet is (marginally) better than the Conti's, but the wear rate on the front was very poor - through to the inside edge cords in 9k miles.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's interesting, as I've put 7k miles on my F1s now and there is no sign of excessive wear on the inside edges of the fronts. confused.gif I am very impressed with them overall - IMO their grip in the wet is significantly better than the Contis I had on my B6 A4 quattro.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Certainly I'd probably not bother with GSD3's on my S4 again. Yes the grip in the wet is (marginally) better than the Conti's, but the wear rate on the front was very poor - through to the inside edge cords in 9k miles.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's interesting, as I've put 7k miles on my F1s now and there is no sign of excessive wear on the inside edges of the fronts. confused.gif I am very impressed with them overall - IMO their grip in the wet is significantly better than the Contis I had on my B6 A4 quattro.

[/ QUOTE ]

All I can say is watch them carefully - and it wasn't poor alingment as I had this done just after the full set of GSD3's went on the car. The inner edge wear seemed to happen very quickly over about a 2-3K miles period - there was no discernable effect of grip or feel, and I never noticed it when washing the car (so didn't look often then!) but when Audi put it up on the ramps it was plain to see and quite a shock. The previous Conti's had done the same BTW, just took a lot longer to go. I don't know if Conti's have changed in some way recently but the ones on the front now are very quiet and have very good grip.

The F1's are very grippy, they hold on far longer than a PS2 does, the difference though is the PS2 you can feel when it is going, where as the F1 holds out longer and then just goes, so not as progressive.

Obviously this is not as noticable in Audis due to their tendancy to understeer, but get them on an M3 or something with lots of oversteer and it isvery obvious. I would think for 90% of drivers 90% of the time the F1 would be a safer tyre.