18" wheels changed?!?

JoeGTI

Hi guys,

as posted in my other thread, I'm due to get my new GTI next week. Haven't seen it yet.

But I've just read this on another forum -

http://www.forum.golfgti.co.uk/index.php?topic=55169.0

Seems like VW may have cheapened the 18" monzas, and now they are just a bigger version of the standard 17" wheel! I hope this is not true - or least I hope its not like this on my car mad.gif

Please tell me this is not the case?!!! Anyone know otherwise?

I know as they said the broucher is different but its a print thing been like that a while now. Not seen one with different wheels yet or local dealership still has the current ones in. If i get time tomorrow i will pop down to the VW compound and see what i can see of the ones coming in.

I could see VW changing for MY08 thats about June delivery but so late in MY07 seems odd.

[ QUOTE ]

Dare i say i like the concepts painted 18s too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they look good also. Thing is, nobody dislikes the 17" design, they just dont fill the arches as well as the 18". I do think the 18" monza's are one of the nicest wheels available today, i cant think of one wheel i'd swap mine for.

I don't think the wheels on the concept are painted versions of the 18" Monzas on production cars. The spokes appear to have some curvature and the centre is slightly concaved. I suspect these are cast and painted wheels (as per 17" Monzas) where as the production 18" Monzas have a perfectly flat profile (which appears to have been finished by a lathe).

Although the production 18"s are susceptible to the elements, aesthetics wise they are second to none.