High Revs?

Clembo

Folks, I have a 2002 TDI sport Passat with 62k miles. Intermittently when I turn the key the engine starts up as though I have my foot fully on the accelerator for litterally about a second. Then after about 5 mins of driving I notice the revs rise to just over 1000. Then after about 5 mins all is well and they are at a steady 900. Has anyone else had this? Could it be the MAFF? I have the car booked in for a cambelt change mid March and so I hope to have the local dealership take alook. But in the meantime if anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Sorry, don't have an answer, but do have the same problem!!

Our 2000W TDi 115 4dr se Passat with 80k mls occasionally revs its nuts off at start up for a second or two, then settles down to normal idle.

Will wait with you for some kind soul to post diagnosis and cure!!

I have a 2002 54 plate Passat Sport TDi Est with nearly 95k and had a similar occurance a couple of weeks ago but no problem since.

On start up from cold the engine revved slightly and then settled back to above its usual 900rpm for just a few seconds. No problems since.

I have a new Air mass and MAP in the boot that I haven't fitted as yet as I haven't had a recurrence of the lack of power I had before Christmas which I posted on the site. The problem is sorted simply by restarting the engine. It may be MAFF or MAP or just a bad day but it does have this personality that I think I can live with if it is so easily cured.

It still flies and is a joy to drive since I chipped it. And new Conti's tomorrow........