Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kazi7860_1

running problems with 1999 passat 1.9 tdi

9 posts in this topic

confused.gif i have a 1999 passat 110 bhp with engine code afn. yesterday, whilst driving on the motorway the car went into limp mode and the glow plug light started to flash. After a little while driving in limp mode and the car not revving over a certain amount the car just completely conked out. Upon starting the car again it would start with no problems and idle fine but when you'd set off the car would just knock itself off. Today, i tried the car and it drove fine, still with the glow plug light flashing but after a litle while the same problem started to occur and the car started to knock itself off.

IF ANYBODY ELSE HAS EXPERIENCED SOMETHING LIKE THIS OR IF YOU CAN HELP WITH THIS PROBLEM EVEN BY SHEDDING A LITTLE LIGHT ON IT WOULD BE MORE THAN GREATLY APPRECIATED.

beerchug.gifjump.gif

NO BUT HAVE GOT IT BOOKED IN WITH A MATE OF MINE TO PUT ONTO SCANNER TOMORROW. LETS FIND OUT WHAT IT SHOWS

Check the brake switch. The flashing glowplug is usually an indicator of the brakelights not working, and in this case the engine ecu thinks that you have your foot on the brake and is shutting down the fuelling to the engine. It's a few quid from the dealers and a few minutes to fit. 169144-ok.gif

thanks will try and see what happens. could not put on scanner until next week wednesday but will try what you said and see what happens.

The brake switch has 2 channels through it. One switches the brake lights, and the other switches back to the ecu so it knows when you're braking and shuts down fuelling. Either one of the switch channels can fail.

I HAD THE VEHICLE PLUGGED YESTERDAY AND THE FAULT CODE IT CAME UP WITH IS 16705, CRANK POSITION SENSOR SO I'LL HAVE A GO AT THAT AND CHANGE THE BRAKE SWITCH AT THE SAME TIME AND SEE HOW IT GOES. I,LL LET YOU KNOW ON HERE WHAT HAPPENS. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

[ QUOTE ]

I HAD THE VEHICLE PLUGGED YESTERDAY AND THE FAULT CODE IT CAME UP WITH IS 16705, CRANK POSITION SENSOR SO I'LL HAVE A GO AT THAT AND CHANGE THE BRAKE SWITCH AT THE SAME TIME AND SEE HOW IT GOES. I,LL LET YOU KNOW ON HERE WHAT HAPPENS. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the same problem with a Vectra Sri I used to own a few years back. Ran perfect after I had a new crank position sensor fitted!

CHANGED CRANKSHAFT SENSOR AND RESET ALL FAULT CODES, CAR NOW RUNNING LIKE A DREAM. THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE AND HELP EVERBODY GAVE.