I only went in for a service...

Wrax

So.. I just got me bonus at work and thought its high time I got the cam belt changed and lets do the service at the same time. No probs there... it was just the list of things that met me when I returned to pick it up... 9 things ranging from a side light and wipers need replacing (a bargain for £56!!! not) to both your front and rear brake pads and disks are starting to corrode (£520!!!).

Most things I can take care of myself... changing wiper blades and bulbs... snigger. But on the brakes and disks front I don't know. Firstly should I be unduly worried? At a quick inspection when I got home in the fading light I didn't see evidence of corrosion... so what do they mean? How can I tell if its necessary to replace the disks? How hard is it to replace the disks yourself? If its easyish does anyone have any recommendations?

As ever cheers for any help

Brakes and dealers... hmmmm...

Since I had my car in the Audi dealer to look at a brake warning light, they came back and said it was the front pads that had gone. Strange - 10k seemed a bit low for front pads. So I took the pads off and it turned out the reason the light was on was the sensor wire had snapped - the pads were 50% worn at most. Anyway, since that I do my brakes and thats that...

Its not difficult mate, I don't know how best to explain it without photos, will try and write something up in the next couple of days!

Chaz

[ QUOTE ]

the discs and pads, are a handy job. how big a lip is there on the out edge of the disc? a good idea is to always get a second opinion

[/ QUOTE ]

And for the corrosion on them get the wheel off and look. If the faces of the discs are rusty around the edges they probably need changing... I had to replace the front disks on my Audi 80 at the weekend cos they were corroded but had loads of life left in respect to the lip on them...

Chaz

[ QUOTE ]

the discs and pads, are a handy job. how big a lip is there on the out edge of the disc? a good idea is to always get a second opinion

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain how to tell if your discs/pads need replacing! I have been told in the past and I've forgetten.pengy.gif

Forgive my incompetence smashfreakB.gif

Pads need replacing when the light comes on! And change all four while your at it.

Discs - change every second set of pads.

Pads should last about 25kmiles.(maybe more)

The amount of people that change pads because the dealer says so! Why do you think they have a warning light. It will give you plenty of warning too! 169144-ok.gif

Providing pads wear evenly (pairs on each axle) you should consider changing them when they are down to the last 2mm. The warning light may or may not be on at this stage

If your pads are not wearing evenly you have a problem with your calipers which IMO should be resolved ASAP and pads changed. When the pads are changed this is a good time to fully assess the condition of your discs. As people have said above if corrossion creeps into the face of the disc (the edge will always be rusty)or the discs have worn to (or beyond) their minimum thickness (this will vary on model - I don't have the info) the discs will also need changing.

Also I would never change discs and re-install part worn pads