UK Insurance groups expand to 50?

Atomic

Just reading this over at Yahoo... Came as a surprice to me, as I'd not heard of the change: Linky

Also quotes the RBS saying that premiums need to rise 10% for companies to make any money at the moment.... I found that surprising too.

Anyways, any idea how I can find out my car's new insurance group?

Cheers,

AG>

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ QUOTE ]

Crucially, the weight of vehicles will be taken into account for the first time. It stands to reason that the heavier the vehicle, the greater the potential for the driver to be liable for injury or damage to third parties in a collision. This could mean insurance price hikes for 4x4s or so-called Chelsea tractors and will come as a blow to those who genuinely need 4x4s because of their work or location.

'Certain 4x4s, although sustaining little damage themselves in a collision, can inflict considerable injury/damage to others. Vehicle manufacturers are becoming ever more sophisticated in the way they segment the market, creating more and more niches,' says an ABI spokesman.

The changes are likely to hit drivers of 'super-mini, multipurpose vehicle (MPV), compact-executive and lifestyle 4x4s' as well as those who drive sporty diesels and even some mid-range hatchbacks. This could add hundreds of pounds to the typical comprehensive quote. But the Association of British Insurers said that, overall, the rises and cuts would balance out and insists that drivers of less risky vehicles will see their premiums fall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again I see that 4x4's are apparently being targetted, this time for being too strong. Ironically it looks like buying a robust car for your own safety is now an even more costly option. Add on top the apparent hate for MPV's and execs and it completes the "anti-small" picture.

[ QUOTE ]

Once again I see that 4x4's are apparently being targetted, this time for being too strong. Ironically it looks like buying a robust car for your own safety is now an even more costly option. Add on top the apparent hate for MPV's and execs and it completes the "anti-small" picture.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair it does make sense, being hit by a saloon is usually preferential to being hit by a 4x4, and as such the 4x4 should demand a higher cost.

Although do Japanese cars get loaded because they are typically expensive to repair?

One pity is they've noticed sporty diesels. They were always a great way of having a sporty car, and not getting shafted for insurance.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair it does make sense, being hit by a saloon is usually preferential to being hit by a 4x4, and as such the 4x4 should demand a higher cost.

Although do Japanese cars get loaded because they are typically expensive to repair?

One pity is they've noticed sporty diesels. They were always a great way of having a sporty car, and not getting shafted for insurance.

[/ QUOTE ]

But dont 4x4's already demand a premium due to the size of their engines etc.? Most dont exactly shift particularly fast - apart from the Cayene(sp) etc. which are G20 anyway.

Dont forget it's not limited to 4x4's the wording tends to imply anything big (Execs, MPV's etc.).

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The CSL moves up from 20 to 44 so no doubt I'm in for a raping at renewal time!

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you find that information, please? smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

search the ABI database here:

http://www.abi.org.uk/carinsurance/search.asp

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks 169144-ok.gif

Looks like it's generally only newer cars that have that 1-50 rating. My car doesn't have one, just the old IG16.

They're not joking about 4x4's. If you've got one sell it. The world is now officially against you.

For example a new style Range Rover SE V8 used to be insurance group 15. As a rule of thumb you double your group to get your new group but the Range Rover has gone up to Group 42! blush.gif

As a reference my S4 has gone from 20 to 40!

[ QUOTE ]

The S4 goes from 20 to 40 in the new ratings. Will be interesting to see how much more money they try to grab as a result smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sam see my post above the S4 has done OK. A lot of cars (4x4's and sporty diesels have had their groups doubled and a bit more - typical)

[ QUOTE ]

The S4 goes from 20 to 40 in the new ratings. Will be interesting to see how much more money they try to grab as a result smashfreakB.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have thought that would be a good thing not being up there with the likes of Ferrari/Lamborghini in group 20 currently?

4x4s have gone up by so much because statistically you are more likely to take more risks and have more little bumps. Braking isn't as good and they do roll more easily.

Its not because of the environment or anything like that .. its the people that drive them. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

have had there premiums doubled and a bit more - typical)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily premiums doubled... I hope crazy.gif

I've found a handful of group 50 cars, all of them various models of Mercedes. Anyone else find any?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right of course, I meant to say their groups have doubled!!!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

have had there premiums doubled and a bit more - typical)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily premiums doubled... I hope crazy.gif

I've found a handful of group 50 cars, all of them various models of Mercedes. Anyone else find any?

[/ QUOTE ]

All the Porsche 997 'S' series cars and above move up to group 50.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone found a group 1 car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup the Reva G-wiz electric car. Has to be one of the least safe looking cars out there IMHO....

[/ QUOTE ]

Right that's it I'm going to buy one and drive my family around in it because it's obviously so safe! Flush.gif BTW does it even have four seats!

[ QUOTE ]

All the Porsche 997 'S' series cars and above move up to group 50.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, I forget to check them 169144-ok.gif

A lot of the really expensive cars don't appear to be listed, or don't have 1-50 numbers allocated.

Ouch, Group 49 for a certain car whose prices I've been following. That can't be good news.