A6 MMI Basic Plus CD Navigation & TMC

Hi

Seen a lot of activity over DVD TMC updates but does anybody have information for the CD based system. 5 calls to Audi CS, 5 different answers but finally they say UK TMC is not possible on CD systems, never has been and never will be.

Does anyone know better - I have a TMC symbol and it works in Europe! Are TeleAtlas CD's an option?

Andy

2007 A6 Avant 2.0TDi

I used a Tele Atlas 2004 CD with my RNS-D in my previous S4 to get working TMC. So for Audi CS to say TMC is not possible on Audi CD based systems is complete rubbish!

Ask Audi CS this simple question "Does the A6 MMI Basic use Travel Pilot DX compatible CD's?"

If the answer is yes then it's a fairly low risk to spend the money on a CD like this would be a reasonable risk IMHO.

Thanx for the replies. I think the system is a VDO Dayton from looking at the files on the nav cd on a PC. I think I will get a TeleAtlas cd for this system and see what happens. My only concern is the chap at Audi CS said TeleAtlas cd's may work but they may screw the player. I guess he means it may try to do a firmware update, but I think TeleAtlas would tell you if it was a system upgrade - wouldn't they??

I'll post back if sucessful - I guess there are a lot of people who got this crappy system for free in the A6 Avant bundle who might be interested.

Andy

I'd pretty much come to the same conclusion, but you're right - not even Audi technician seem to be able to confirm whether it's a Blaupunkt or Siemens based system.

Teleatlas themselves only go up to a 2004 A6 on their records.

I'm keen to get this sorted while Teleatlas have their sale on!

Not only does the copyright show VDO, but it's also printed on the CD.

I'm also really annoyed that the C6 DVD based systems got the upgrade for free (at least most people seem to have), but those of use with the CDs are getting stiffed.

When I bought my car there was a press release on the website all about how all A6s were going to have the TMC function, and this was actually one of the deciding factors with me getting the car, and here I am 1 year on and having to buy the disk myself. Not chuffed!

I was particularly impressed when I found that my car, delivered in November 2006, came with maps from August 2005. I have emailed Tom Peterkin at Audi as he seemed to be heavily involved in getting the DVD update sorted but no response as yet. Also contacted VDO Dayton they said contact Audi

• 2 weeks later...

OK so I got the CD from teleatlas. Ordered on the website, got a courtesy call because my car is not listed as haveing a vdo system, explained that it said 'siemens vdo'on the cd drive and in the files on the cd so they said should be OK. Received the disk and it is not recognised. Phone call to teleatlas, called me back after discussion with collegues to say sorry these cd's don't work because the disks are locked by Audi. Teleatlas were good enough to give me a returns number so I can get a full refund.

BUT - I am working on a solution - watch this space smirk.gif

I now relalise my mistake - I thought I was buyng a car from Audi - German leaders in automotive technology - when in fact I was buying a car from Aldi - German leaders in cut price, end of line cheap crap Flush.gif

Andy

I think for the A6 DVD system the charge was to cover the time it takes to install. An Audi tech told me the A6 MMI requires a firmware update first, which in turn requires all the fault memories to be erased before installation. If the update is installed by the supplying dealer they may well waive the charge.

• 1 month later...

OK so if anybody wants to enable TMC on their A6 cd system read on:

1/ Buy the Teleatlas cd with TMC for VDO Dayton systems from teleatlas or wherever. Don't tell them it's for an A6 factory fit because they now know it won't work.

2/ Make an image of the cd using cd-clone. Use the 'protected game cd' option

3/ Copy the file 'carinsys' from your exisitng cd

3/ Use an image file editor such as MagicISO to inject the carinsys file into the image.

4/ Burn the image to a new cd.

The up side is you will have TMC working. 169144-ok.gif

The down side is you have to get to like Classic FM. ZZZ.gif

Andy

I've found that you have to be tuned to classic fm on the radio, although it can be muted or you can be using the cd player. If tuned to any other radio station the TMC icon gets a line through it.

Maybe it's a limitation of this satnav - like the early RDS systems before EON?

Andy

Very odd. Never had to be tuned to Classic on any TMC system I have had (RNS-E, BMW E39 etc). Sure someone else will be along to comment..

Check you dont have a setting for which channle TMC uses - it might be this is wrong, but it works when you are on a station transmitting, if that makes sense?

[ QUOTE ]

TMC comes over Classic - but you dont have to be listening to it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, you DON'T have to be listening to any particular station for TMC to work - there is a separate tuner for TMC.

BTW Classic FM carries the TMC data for ITIS, but the contract Audi have is with TrafficMaster and their TMC data is carried by many stations not just Classic FM.

• 5 weeks later...

Andy, so are you still having to listen to Classic FM, or does it indeed work with you listening to any FM channel?

When I took my A6 to France (it's also got the CD based system), it I had to be tuned into whatever station the TMC signal was detected on - or at least I thought I had to be.

If you have a backup copy of your new "hybrid" cd available I'd be very interested ;-)

• 4 weeks later...

Well I shelled out for a copy of the latest Tele Atlas VDO Dayton CDs. I followed andym4's instructions to the letter, but I now can't get my Nac cd reader to read anything but the original disk supplied with the car. Even the copy of the original I made so that I could keep the original at home (in case the car got broken into) doesn't work anymore. I had taken my copy disk out and replaced it with the original prior to the last service, when I believe some sort of software upgrade may have been applied.

andy4m, are you using any special type of disk for your hybrid cd?

• 2 months later...

Finally got a working TMC CD for my A6. Did exactly what Andy suggested, but also had to get the right disks (TraxData black) before I could burn something that actually worked in the car.

Have already avoided a couple of traffic jams - just annoyed that Audi couldn't sort this themselves when they advertised the car as having TMC functionality when they sold it to me - they just didn't tell me it would onyl work on the continent!

Am also now developing my classical music taste.

G.

• 3 weeks later...

having just taken delivery of my A6 last week with Audi Navigation (MMI basic plus CD) i was gutted to find TMC wasnt working, until i found this site. The previous link of where to buy the original CD to backup and change the ISO is not working.

gpb_1 - do you still have the image file? - id gladly pay you for it.

Thanks

Simon

• 9 months later...
OK so if anybody wants to enable TMC on their A6 cd system read on:

1/ Buy the Teleatlas cd with TMC for VDO Dayton systems from teleatlas or wherever. Don't tell them it's for an A6 factory fit because they now know it won't work.

2/ Make an image of the cd using cd-clone. Use the 'protected game cd' option

3/ Copy the file 'carinsys' from your exisitng cd

3/ Use an image file editor such as MagicISO to inject the carinsys file into the image.

4/ Burn the image to a new cd.

The up side is you will have TMC working. 169144-ok.gif

The down side is you have to get to like Classic FM. ZZZ.gif

Andy

Anyone managed to get this working?