Smashed wing mirror... how much?

....Clipped by an oncoming car!! EEK2.GIF Hope it wasn't going fast! IIRC, about £60 labour plus parts approx £30, but my memory isn't good on what I spend.

There's a thread in the R32 forum re a Mk5 .:R - should be the same parts etc. No time to post a link 4 ya - Gotta dash!

cheers Robin.

I have just spoken to the dealer, apparently VW have started supplying pre-painted mirror caps now (about time!).

Colour Coded Mirror Cap £53.52+VAT

Heated Mirror Glass £27.95+VAT

Indicator £14.65+VAT

plus fitting (guy reckoned an hour @ £90)!

think i'll check around to see what other stealers are charging...

When I had to do this last November it cost about £85, including spraying the Mirror Outer. I got a trusted mate to spray up the Outer. The Heater Mirror, and Indicator were purchased from a Dealer (Dane Chester), I can double check the prices I paid if you want, but I think it was less than you've indicated per part. The Outer was bought from EuroCarParts, but it would have cost the same from the dealer, they just happened not to have it in stock - unusually they've had most of the parts I've needed in stock.

Think I might just get the parts and try to fit myself or take it to an independant for fitting (as you suggested Oli).

Had two quotes for the parts:

Caffyns £96.16 +VAT (they use factory painted mirror caps)

Sidlow £108.18 +VAT (they use primed and painted mirror caps)

both plus fitting £90 and £108.75 respectively...

anyone got instructions for replacing the MkV wing mirror parts...?

[ QUOTE ]

I have just spoken to the dealer, apparently VW have started supplying pre-painted mirror caps now (about time!).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good news - I might change the one I scraped on my garage wall the one and only time I tried to get my car in there.... how crap is it that houses are built with garages that won't even accommodate a Golf?!

that is excellent, thanks.

had a look at it on Friday afternoon with a guy from work who used to be a mechanic (and still has all his tools - how useful!).

will get it fitted once the parts come in! thinking of getting the new glass and indicator now and just replace the mirror cap at a later date when it comes in. finding the cracked mirror glass really irritating, especially when trying to change lanes and pull out for an overtake/join main carriageway from the slip road...

• 2 months later...

Just popped in from the R32 forum - thanks to a nod in the right direction from Robin.

Any updates on this thread? - as some kind soul has smashed my mirror cap and indicator (everything else is ok and working fine) and driven off.

Any help appreciated

beerchug.gif

Hello again all. It’s been a while since I’ve posted here but still visit regularly. Hope you’re all well. Still enjoying the GTI at 12K miles since last September and no real problems. The biggest problem has been the passenger seat not moving forward in tandem with the seat-back when persons are climbing in the back (3 door). Just not got around to sorting it.

Anyhows…

I was looking at a girl at the supermarket the other week and I bumped my mirror and cracked the indicator lens. Thing is, my Mrs was in the car at the time, very embarrassing to say the least. blush.gif

Would this an easy job DIY or do you require special tools etc? Also can you buy just the indicator lens from VW. confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I was looking at a girl at the supermarket the other week and I bumped my mirror and cracked the indicator lens. Thing is, my Mrs was in the car at the time, very embarrassing to say the least.

[/ QUOTE ]

Classic yelrotflmao.gif

I hope you said something along the lines of...... 'tut, tut, tut, dont those hotpants look cheap on that girl over there? Makes her look like some sort of sex mad tart.

Do you want to go and do the shopping dear, I will just stay here and look after the car...'