How do you rate the A8/S8 against the E500?

Atomic

According to the Merc website the E500 does a 0-62 in 5.3 which is fairly nippy dispite not having anything as pleasant as quattro, and having driven the new E shape for 3 years I admit it's smaller than the A8 but it's still a great car.

Your thoughts?

Yes 0-62 went from 5.9 to 5.3 in 2006 with the bigger engine, but I guess the same quesiton applies to either engine variants.

I'm interested in comments on the current shape (2002 onwards I believe) vs. the D2 or more appropriately D3 A8.

Cheers,

AG>

[ QUOTE ]

Putting the 0-60 aside, unless we are talking grip issues... any other comparisons out there?

[/ QUOTE ]

I test drove an E55 AMG before I bought the W12. Fast, and felt it, but horrid on roundabouts, and damp road surfaces made me so glad I wasn't testing it in proper rain. I didn't like the interior either; the wrinkly leather panels in the doors just didn't do it for me.

Well the Audi is going to be more useable thanks to 4x4 and will handle more predictably. Guessing weight will be similar due to aluminium body.

On top I always have a problem with E class as every taxi I ever use in Europe is an E class.

Against Audi is probably the added complexity of 4x4 and aluminium materials which may make cost of ownership more. The E class has to be hard as nails because it is the taxi of choice.

Well my personal take on this. Benefits of the s8 over the E500 Mercedes :

4wd on the s8 so much better handling, more space, much better looking and better quality interior. Better build quality on the vehicle itself (TAxis or not Mercedes are not great reliability wise these days for such expensive cars a friend got rid of his £40,000 e class after less than 6 months due to serious issues with the electrics)

You get more spec for your money when new with the Audi. Servicing costs are lower (not by much...) Image wise I much prefer the understated Audi I cant stand Mercedes and Bmws personally.

Performance on the merc is faster than the s8, but really these are not sports cars, they are fast luxury saloons. Fuel consumption must be heavier on the Merc with the huge engine...