S4 Cab Manual v Auto

dave_uk

Hi All,

I currently have a TT coupe 3.2 DSG but with 2 kids growing up fast I am looking for a change and have been considering an S4 cab. My only dilemma is that my heart says buy one with a manual gearbox, but having looked around probably 80% of those for sale are with the auto box / tiptronic ( is auto / tiptronic the same?). What are your opinions on here as to what is best to go for and how will my choice effect future resale values?

I have never really been into auto boxes before but I must say I have been very pleased with DSG on the TT, although I do tend to drive it manual mode most of the time! Is the V8 well suited to an auto box and am I worrying unnecessarily?

Thanks for your advice grin.gif

dave_uk

I wish I bought an Auto (DSG). However if I had bought an Auto I may have wanted a Manual smirk.gif

My mother has an A3 2.0T DSG and it is a screem to drive. An S4 Must be epic!

Tuff choice but Auto for me and for down south I would have thought Auto would sell better?

Whatever you get it will be a lovely machine! 169144-ok.gif

Mine was a tiptronic and the only time I wished I had a manual was on a couple of track days I did. The rest of the time the tiptronic was excellent. When I sold mine the dealer said the tips were more desirable then the manuals.

The S4 Tip is very good but the auto box is not as responsive as your TT's. It is not DSG (and nor is one available). All S4's whether called auto or tip are all the same and all have the steering wheel paddles to change gear.

Being a big V8 the power is always there and you won't sruggle even if you are in the wrong gear. You will notice that kick-down is not as good as the DSG box for sure.

I have done a track day and I was surprised at how good the tip box was.

I do find myself leaving it in drive for the majority of time and using sport mode when I want to play. Sport mode really holds on to the gears and gets most out of the revs.

My one niggle would be that even in 'manual' mode the car will decide to change gear when approaching the red line. In a manual S4 you can easily take the engine to the line (7000rpm) but the tip won't let you do this.

Would I change for a manual - not on your life. On balance I prefer the benefits of auto. IMO the V8 and auto box is a really good match. However if I were doing more Track Days and less touring I would go for manual maybe?

My advise is go with the 6 speed manual - is really good. The S4 has a stonking great V8 with bags of torque so you will not have to change gear nearly as often as you might think and then when you get on an A or B road you can drive the car instead of being a passenger! S4s pull from 25 mph in 6th gear.... however, if you live in a city and rarely venture out - stick with the auto.

I've had a tip in an A8 4.2q and it was without doubt the right gearbox for that car - the S4 is a sports car and should rightly have a manual box IMHO.

Guest PeterPiper

I've had both a manual, and now a tip. For me, it's a no contest, the tip is perfectly quick enough, and uses less petrol. Now I am getting old...........................

And of course, when I sold the first one, the stealers all said 'Oh it's a manual, we could sell the auto a lot easier'

No doubt I will hear that the opposite way round when I get to change again.

With the torque of the V8 I've never regretted having a manual even though in live in the South. I've never had a dealer say anything to me about a Tip being easier to sell - and I've traded in 2 S4s.

Having said that driving an RS6 with paddles was an absolute hoot, but I never felt that I was 100% in control of which gear it was in and I couldn't live with that long term.

In an S4 6th gear is good to below 20mph, you can shuffle along in a traffic queue in 2nd, and I almost never used all 6 gears my normal shift pattern was 1st-3rd-6th. Couple that with a clutch that is light enough for my wife never to complain, even when driving in central London, and I would always choose a manual.

Like the majority of people, i always said i would never have an automatic car.

Then i bought the S4 Tip. Would buy one 100% again over a manual. Go every where in drive, occasionaly in Sport, and hardly ever use the paddles. I thought i would all the time, but no real need. Couldnt be bothered with a manual again. Next car, probably an M5 thankfully is auto (SMG) but dont think the BMW system (Automatic manual) is as good as the Audi one (Torque Convertors).

Also most S4 cabs are specced with tip from new so finding the car you want should be easier. Looking at the Audi Used Car Locator over 75% of cars available are tip.

This I suppose would support the resale theory as clearly there is a bigger market.

[ QUOTE ]

Also most S4 cabs are specced with tip from new so finding the car you want should be easier. Looking at the Audi Used Car Locator over 75% of cars available are tip.

This I suppose would support the resale theory as clearly there is a bigger market.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I figure is that it's going to be harder to get discount on the manual than the Auto version.

Thanks everyone for your advice, I guess I will see what comes along in my price range / colour choice and not be so hung-up on if its a manual or tiptronic. 169144-ok.gif

Am I guessing from what Peterpiper is saying that the auto is more economic than the manual as this is the opposite to what I would have thought? smashfreakB.gifsmashfreakB.gifsmashfreakB.gif

dave_uk

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I already I know I'm going to get flamed if I order a blue 911 cabriolet but who cares! tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not by me, that would be my choice - well the coupe would be, but blue all the same smlove2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not mad on the wheels but there's a blue one at Cambridge... tongue.gif

WP0ZZZ99Z7S771592_3.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

Am I guessing from what Peterpiper is saying that the auto is more economic than the manual as this is the opposite to what I would have thought?

[/ QUOTE ]

Although this is true it's only by 1 MPG I think

Modern autos are slightly more efficient - don't let econony decide between the 2.

Given there are plenty around, go to your nearest Audi dealer and test drive a tip