Bootlid catch won't engage!?

flex_won

My wife has been out shopping today and after emptying the boot found that the bootlid catch won't engage.

I've checked it out tonight. Both the catch and the lug are in good condition and nothing obstructing either one. The boot closes flush but the catch won't engage. I've tried firm shutting and gentle shutting all the time keeping my hands well clear of the release catch.

I've tried locking and unlocking. Driving around the block (auto lock on). I've taken the fuse out. Used both sets of keys but it still isn't working.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Any other suggestions?

The car is out of warranty so I guess it could be a trip to the stealers.....

Thanks,

[ QUOTE ]

My wife has been out shopping today and after emptying the boot found that the bootlid catch won't engage.

I've checked it out tonight. Both the catch and the lug are in good condition and nothing obstructing either one. The boot closes flush but the catch won't engage. I've tried firm shutting and gentle shutting all the time keeping my hands well clear of the release catch.

I've tried locking and unlocking. Driving around the block (auto lock on). I've taken the fuse out. Used both sets of keys but it still isn't working.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Any other suggestions?

The car is out of warranty so I guess it could be a trip to the stealers.....

Thanks,

[/ QUOTE ]

try the remote key fob boot unlock key and see what happens - could be it is stuck open?

UBM, you don't know how close you are!

I spoke with Dean Hills of Four Rings and he pointed me to the solenoid which actuates the release catch. He talked me through a few pointers and I have disconnected the solenoid and the boot can now be closed until the solenoid can be replaced. One of the diagnosis points was looking at what happened when the key fob boot release was used.

My hat is off to Dean, what a real gent. He's now lined up to do the timing belt change in 2000 miles time.

Thanks to everyone for the collective head scratching.

[ QUOTE ]

UBM, you don't know how close you are!

I spoke with Dean Hills of Four Rings and he pointed me to the solenoid which actuates the release catch. He talked me through a few pointers and I have disconnected the solenoid and the boot can now be closed until the solenoid can be replaced. One of the diagnosis points was looking at what happened when the key fob boot release was used.

My hat is off to Dean, what a real gent. He's now lined up to do the timing belt change in 2000 miles time.

Thanks to everyone for the collective head scratching.

[/ QUOTE ]

I try.... grin.gifcoffee.gif

Thanks Big Al. I was going to just leave the solenoid out and use the key to open the boot. I gave the 'noid a couple of taps and it freed up. Plenty of lube and I've fitted it back in. Seems to be working fine for now but it sounds a bit strained. At least I know where the problem lies and that the dealer has one in stock (£25+vat) if it packs up in the near future.

Cheers all.

Try VAG Parts, should save you around 10% I would think, I had to wait 2 weeks for my solenoid, they were on factory back order just after xmas, if your Audi dealer hasn't got one try a VW dealer, I found from experience these things fail just at the wrong time