Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Daz

A5/S5 Official Brochure & Price List

62 posts in this topic

Thanks Daz good to see the S comes with 19" wheels as standard atlhough still prefer S4.

Thanks Daz. 169144-ok.gif

Time to delay doing any work a little longer while I spec up a 3.0TDI quattro... grin.gif

cheers, sat nav for the S5 is nearly £2k, advanced parking control is £650. Cruise £190. I think I'd have those for a kick off.

Also, the OTR price is different in this brochure to what was in the press release.

Can't decide. S5 to my preference is £44k, 3.0Tdi to similar (slightly lower) spec is £40k (a lot for a diesel) and a low spec 3.0Tdi (no nav, electric memory seats) is £37k.

I would love to know the kerb weights and the fuel tank capacity. The latter because the S4 goes no distance on a tank and the former because I don't really see how they can go to 100 kmh in 5.1 and 5.9s.

Fuel tank is 64 litres

Width for those worried about garages is 1354mm

[ QUOTE ]

I would love to know the kerb weights and the fuel tank capacity. The latter because the S4 goes no distance on a tank and the former because I don't really see how they can go to 100 kmh in 5.1 and 5.9s.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I posted in the other thread, I found these kerb weights:

A5 3.2 FSI FWD 1495KG

A5 3.2 FSI 4WD 1535KG

A5 2.7TDI FWD 1575 KG

S5 1630KG

I'm a bit sceptical about them because of the published 0-60 and MPG.

Maybe they've changed the gearing on 1st and 2nd?

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe they've changed the gearing on 1st and 2nd?

[/ QUOTE ]

You could be right but the S4 does 60 in second already doesn't it? We also know an S4 will do 0-60 in less than 5.6 secs if you get it right.

I hope they've given the S5 a longer top gear than the S4 as well.

The S4 does. Maybe they haven't changed it.

Perhaps they just got an even crazier test driver. wink.gif

Well 30 less kilos and 9 extra ponies vs an S4 saloon doesn't explain things (0.5s to 100 kmh) so it must be Audi realising that the stats for the S4 - which date from early 2003 remember - were just too conservative.

You can see this in the TT2 stats - there is no way that a TTC 3.2 is only 0.1s slower to 100 kmh than my S4 Avant as there is 22 bhp/tonne disadvantage but that's what Audi say. Indeed following the same logic then an S5 would be 5.7s to 100kmh. Must be a change of policy.

Concerning the weights.. S5 1630kg and 3.0tdi 1610kg. Got it from german audi car configurator, the most accurate to me..just to mention that there is a new platform, gearbox etc..maybe it's up to an aerodynamics, for sure it's much better on new tt and a5 then on s4..

All good stuff.

Spec wise I've said before that I expected a magnetic damper option. I've got this on my TTR that's coming so I wonder if the S5 will be a let down without it?

Interestingly tyre pressure monitoring has disappeared too.

Which engine?

I normally buy big petrol engines but the 3.0tdi seems to be such a stormer. I always look at the bhp and Ib/ft and average them then divide it by the kerb weight. The figures are 188 and 207 - the S5 is only 10% greater. That's not much.

However, the diesel is only c£4k cheaper than the S5 spec for spec (ish, 18" wheels and cheaper leather) and my choice is a tad over £40k. Will I get trousered paying that much for a diesel? Plus the exterior is not as nice as the S5.

Heart says S5 (but I'm sick of the poor tank range of my S4) but my head says DIESEL. God, I'm getting old.

[ QUOTE ]

Which engine?

I normally buy big petrol engines but the 3.0tdi seems to be such a stormer. I always look at the bhp and Ib/ft and average them then divide it by the kerb weight. The figures are 188 and 207 - the S5 is only 10% greater. That's not much.

However, the diesel is only c£4k cheaper than the S5 spec for spec (ish, 18" wheels and cheaper leather) and my choice is a tad over £40k. Will I get trousered paying that much for a diesel? Plus the exterior is not as nice as the S5.

Heart says S5 (but I'm sick of the poor tank range of my S4) but my head says DIESEL. God, I'm getting old.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got exactly the same dilemma! If you can chip the 3.0 TDI to 285+ horse it would easy keep up with the S5 in the real world and will do 450 miles on a tank. It's not the cost as much as the range. I bet the diesel will ride better and be a much better long distance car.

Range is key for me living in the sticks. I got to the petrol station in the S4 the other day with 5 on the range. I'm just sick of going out of my way to fill up or filling up early because of where I am going/when I will be coming back.

Trouble is the S5 body enhancements are really attractive.

[ QUOTE ]

I bet the diesel will ride better and be a much better long distance car.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're touching on a key thing here.

A diesel A5 (however chipped etc) may end up being as fast as a S5 but it won't handle, brake, be styled trimmed etc to the same level.

I guess it comes down to if you believe you can compare cars purely on speed. I don't think so.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I bet the diesel will ride better and be a much better long distance car.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're touching on a key thing here.

A diesel A5 (however chipped etc) may end up being as fast as a S5 but it won't handle, brake, be styled trimmed etc to the same level.

I guess it comes down to if you believe you can compare cars purely on speed. I don't think so.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right of course the diesel won't be the same type of car. I guess I'll need to test drive both and other cars for comparison. My thinking at the moment is:

S5 -> 335ci (chipped) -> A5 3.0 TDI (chipped) -> 335/330cd (chipped) -> New conservatory smashfreakB.gif. In that order of preference 169144-ok.gif

Scotty

I think you are spot on. I've had four S4's over the last decade or so and I love everything about them. I really want an S5 but am bothered about the range and the fact that the diesel will just be as quick an overtaker on the A's and B's that I travel on most of the time.

Trouble is the S5 just looks much better than the diesel and has uprated brakes and suspension even over the Sport optioned diesel.

What probably seals it is that the diesel is only about £4k cheaper as I would have it and it still can't be had with the wonderful silk nappa leather.

Oh and the sound and free revving nature of Audi V8's is outstanding.

I'm driving a diesel at the moment (a 2.2litre 180bph turbo) and whilst it's fine, you can't compare it to a V8 in anyway, shape or form.

It has massive torque from 2000 to 4000 revs, but the engine then gets short of breath.. you can rev it harder, but you lose the power band.. it's all over too fast.

In the petrol V8 you get linear acceleration up to the red line. You can hold the power on for longer and it's so much more versatile.

Try keeping a diesel in the power band for a long period. Very difficult to do... you're either off boost or over boost.

I'm not anti-diesel.. mine's great on the motorway, cruising and returning massive mpg figures, but you could never out perform a serious performance car.

Keep it coming as I really don't want a diesel.

You are quite right, there are too many gear changes in a diesel.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm driving a diesel at the moment (a 2.2litre 180bph turbo) and whilst it's fine, you can't compare it to a V8 in anyway, shape or form.

It has massive torque from 2000 to 4000 revs, but the engine then gets short of breath.. you can rev it harder, but you lose the power band.. it's all over too fast.

In the petrol V8 you get linear acceleration up to the red line. You can hold the power on for longer and it's so much more versatile.

Try keeping a diesel in the power band for a long period. Very difficult to do... you're either off boost or over boost.

I'm not anti-diesel.. mine's great on the motorway, cruising and returning massive mpg figures, but you could never out perform a serious performance car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Audi and there V12 TDI may have something to say in that regard, never beaten in a race yet. 169144-ok.gif

and has not broken sweat yet. lol.gif