• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 wyliss

wyliss

Audi S3

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:00 PM

Do Audi do a touch up pen for minor scratches/scrapes on their alloy wheels?.
If not one particular to the wheel colour then what is the closest colour silver to the RS6 wheel?
Many thanks
A4 B7 2.0T FSI S-LINE Akoya Silver, Xenon plus pack, RS 6's, MFSW, Phatnoise, Auto dimming mirror, Light/Rain sensor, Cruise control, Bose, Isofix, Split folding seats, Rear side blinds, Rear window blind, Centre armrest, Auto boot Lid, Cargo parcel net/hooks,Loadliner & Votex Rear Diffuser. Recently added black optics front grill !

#2 CactusGreen

CactusGreen

Ford Fiesta ST

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:15 PM

For some reason don't think Audi have ever done one, or ever released the colour specs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fekr.gif I do know that the silver paint they use....well all German alloys is basically the same as the Wurth Silver - just got some to do up an old (91 ish) Audi 80 10 spoke trim and it's identical. There is a great guide on audiworld.com showing how to's etc. under the tech. section - exterior, think it's under NASA Racer...towards the bottom.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/169144-ok.gif
01.5 B5 A4 2.4SE Tip - Votex body kit, Hidden Microwave PDC, Pirelli X-Pressure TPMS, Hardwired Bel RX65e, Lamp Guards...and the exclusive Red Logo Audi Sport Valve Stem Caps! and now a Dec 94 80 cabriolet 2.6e auto too....

Posted Image In the A4
Posted Image In the cabby

#3 wyliss

wyliss

Audi S3

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:43 PM

Thanks. Can you get this colour from the dealer in a pen version ?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/169144-ok.gif
A4 B7 2.0T FSI S-LINE Akoya Silver, Xenon plus pack, RS 6's, MFSW, Phatnoise, Auto dimming mirror, Light/Rain sensor, Cruise control, Bose, Isofix, Split folding seats, Rear side blinds, Rear window blind, Centre armrest, Auto boot Lid, Cargo parcel net/hooks,Loadliner & Votex Rear Diffuser. Recently added black optics front grill !

#4 techieboy

techieboy

TVR 350C

• Members
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For some reason don't think Audi have ever done one, or ever released the colour specs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fekr.gif I do know that the silver paint they use....well all German alloys is basically the same as the Wurth Silver - just got some to do up an old (91 ish) Audi 80 10 spoke trim and it's identical.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I remembered reading that Audi Avus Silver was the closest match? Could well be wrong though so don't paint half a wheel without checking first. I'm sure thats what I used when I covered up a couple of scrapes on my B6 before chopping it in.
A4 2.0T FSI S-line Quattro SpecEd
VX220 2.2l Supercharged

#5 wyliss

wyliss

Audi S3

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For some reason don't think Audi have ever done one, or ever released the colour specs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fekr.gif I do know that the silver paint they use....well all German alloys is basically the same as the Wurth Silver - just got some to do up an old (91 ish) Audi 80 10 spoke trim and it's identical.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I remembered reading that Audi Avus Silver was the closest match? Could well be wrong though so don't paint half a wheel without checking first. I'm sure thats what I used when I covered up a couple of scrapes on my B6 before chopping it in.

[/ QUOTE ]
Spot on tech /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/169144-ok.gif, the colour is Avus silver. I called my dealer and they said they do a spray can but no touch up pen. Apparently Audi have never made a car in Avus silver according to the spares dept they have just painted the wheels in this colour ! Looks as I will have to pay £11 for the colour in a can instead of £4 for a pen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

#6 maersk

maersk

BMW 130d

• Members
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:27 PM

Spray it into the plastic lid and apply with a fine hair artist's brush. Good results.
The secret of life, is enjoying the passage of time ............

#7 CactusGreen

CactusGreen

Ford Fiesta ST

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Spot on tech /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/169144-ok.gif, the colour is Avus silver. I called my dealer and they said they do a spray can but no touch up pen. Apparently Audi have never made a car in Avus silver according to the spares dept they have just painted the wheels in this colour ! Looks as I will have to pay £11 for the colour in a can instead of £4 for a pen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Avus silver is often used - but it's a shade darker/more grey....that's what the aftermarket alloy makers seem to use... guess it depends on how bad the marks are... I find the Wurth silver has lots of the 'aluminium flakes' in it - probably why it comes up a shade lighter - it makes for an interesting finish until the clear is on....feels like sandpaper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smashfreakB.gif What about getting the paint code for Avus made up as a pen in Halfords?

The Wurth one is 'Wheel Silver', 400 ml spray can - paint code 0893 351 900, colour ref 1900. so you would still need to use the paint in cap method...

EDIT just found this, but some do not match this...TT 9 spoke and the RS ones apparently - and the $tealer will sell you the body colour in most cases /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fekr.gif

Most of the Audi alloy wheels are finished in Avus silver. It is a DIFFERENT paint for the wheels, and the body touch up should only be used if that is all you can get.

Wheel paint code Z17

Body paint code Y7J

01.5 B5 A4 2.4SE Tip - Votex body kit, Hidden Microwave PDC, Pirelli X-Pressure TPMS, Hardwired Bel RX65e, Lamp Guards...and the exclusive Red Logo Audi Sport Valve Stem Caps! and now a Dec 94 80 cabriolet 2.6e auto too....

Posted Image In the A4
Posted Image In the cabby

#8 maersk

maersk

BMW 130d

• Members
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:25 PM

Where do you source your 'Wurth' paint?
The secret of life, is enjoying the passage of time ............

#9 Avus_Bub

Avus_Bub

Audi RS4

• Members
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How did you work that out? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

My wheels don't appear to be the same colour as the rest of the car..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Posted Image

FYI - Paint code for Avus is Y7J and part number of a touch up = LST OP2 Y7J

As for the wheels just buy a bright silver touch up from Halfords. You'll never match them perfectly.

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
It costs a lot of money to look this cheap. Dolly Parton

Bub's 240ps S-Line Quattro Avant & Bikes

#10 Nelson_R32

Nelson_R32

Nissan GTR

• Members
  • 3,919 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:41 PM

Aluminium Silver (colour code Z17) is usually used on Audi Alloys. But I think the RS6 wheels have a slightly different finish to that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

#11 Big_Al

Big_Al

Vauxhall Corsa VXR

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where do you source your 'Wurth' paint?

[/ QUOTE ]

I got mine from here, at bottom of page /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/169144-ok.gif Get the clear lacquer as well.

linky

Good service, prompt delivery /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gifAl
Posted Image

#12 UBM

UBM

Lamborghini Gallardo

• Members
  • 16,573 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:16 PM

Heheheh

Wurth Helmet & Cloth Sanitizer 250ml

Wurth Helmet & Clothing Sanitizer is for use on all types of clothing including gloves and boots. Keeps your jackets, trousers, race suit, gloves and footwear smelling fresh.

250ml pump spray bottle.

#13 Big_Al

Big_Al

Vauxhall Corsa VXR

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:20 PM

Heres a guide on how to do it.

wheel repair

Good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/169144-ok.gif
Posted Image

#14 UBM

UBM

Lamborghini Gallardo

• Members
  • 16,573 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:23 PM

Ordered some of the alloy paint! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sekret.gif

#15 wyliss

wyliss

Audi S3

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 03:58 PM

Superb info as usual !, thanks for the help everyone. will be placing my order with Wirth soon. The alloy wheel repair guide is good too.........I wonder if the mod's will make it sticky ?
C

#16 wyliss

wyliss

Audi S3

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ordered some of the alloy paint! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sekret.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Whats the colour like UBM?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

#17 UBM

UBM

Lamborghini Gallardo

• Members
  • 16,573 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:12 PM

It arrived yesterday - will have a go tomorrow pm all being well! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/169144-ok.gif

#18 wyliss

wyliss

Audi S3

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It arrived yesterday - will have a go tomorrow pm all being well! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Lets know please...cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/169144-ok.gif

#19 wyliss

wyliss

Audi S3

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:57 PM

When touching up have you got to remove the layers of sealant, wax etc before painting?
Cheers

#20 UBM

UBM

Lamborghini Gallardo

• Members
  • 16,573 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 02:43 PM

I just applied some filler to the chips, sanded down and painted.

VERY good match! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/169144-ok.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users