I took a 335d and a 335i out yesterday and........

gizze

I took a 335d and a 335i out again yesterday, the 335d is a truly stunning engine with loads of torque and it feels very rapid, like the 535d but more nimble and a little quicker.

However, I also took out a the 335i and have to say it really is fantastic, I did 42 miles in the 335i from Chelmsford to Ipswich and round some back roads and when I came off the dual carrigeway the OBC was showing 34mpg, I would only just get that in the 535d, and only get 36mpg doing those speeds in the 120d.

Then wet through Chelmsford, reset the OBC and after 15 minutes or so of roundabouts and T junctions it was still showing just under 27mpg.

Then reset it again and took it for a back road blast, by the time I got back to the dealers it was at 21mpg, the S4 would be showing 14mpg at this point.

The 335d in comparrison wa showing around 3-4mpg more than this.

So if I were to buy one what would it be??

Without dount the 335i, when you add up depreciation, tyres, servicing, insurance, tax etc. etc. an extra 4mpg really doesn't make sod all difference, and I will do 20k miles a year in this car, for someone who only does 12k a year it is even more irrelevant.

Thought about it last night and called this morning, this is the spec...

335i M-Sport Touring

Le Mans Blue

Lemon Leather

Brushed Aluminium Trim

Navigation Professional

Bluetooth

Voice Control

Xenon headlights

Heated Seats

Auto with Paddles

Sliding Armrest

BMW Assist

Auto Dimming interior and exterior mirriors.

Electric Seats

Interior Light pack

Storage package

Should hopefully pick it up next Monday. 169144-ok.gif

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am amazed at that economy, it a no brainer then, petrol all the way. I am trying the 335I this week and will be able to make my own comparisons. I was expecting the 335I to be a lot lower - it sound slike its a really efficient engine. On paper there is only about £450 difference between an identically spec'd 335D and 335I, both auto's. The one thing that I do know is there is a shortage of the 335I engine at the moment.

What is the power delivery like in the 335I, and how good does it feel with the auto box? 169144-ok.gif

I would expect my average mpg to be around 24/25, where as I was only expecting the 335d to be around 26/27mpg, but in reality with my driving it would probable be around 28/29mpg, so 4-5mpg more than the petrol but the 335i is only a couple behind what I would have been happy with using the derv.

The auto box is superb with this car, much quicker changes than on the 535d but still really smooth.

It is an ex BMW UK car, the dealer bought some stock of them, it has 5k miles on it but with an £8k saving on list I can live with that. So I am sure you can work out what I paid without me putting it in writing!! wink.gif

Only option that is missing that I would have specced from new is the Hi-Fi DSP sound system, I always usually go with the basic system and add my own amp and speakers, but this is the best factory fit system I have ever heard so I am a bit gutted it doesn't have it, I would have paid another £1000 for it. The amp and speakers I will put in will be better but it is a bit of a hassle that's all.

[ QUOTE ]

ex BMW car so does that mean everyone at BMW HQ has given it a good pasting tongue.gif

Look forward to the pics 169144-ok.gif

AZ

[/ QUOTE ]

At that mileage it'll probably just be from one of the BMW UK car schemes used by employees of BMW, MINI, RR etc... Not a press car hopefully grin.gif

Sounds great - my favourite colour for an M Sport touring as well 169144-ok.gif

Peter

Guy, i tried both back to back, Diesel is impressive but the 335i is the one that puts a grin on yer face, done 500miles in mine now, v tight but loosening up.

Glad i chose the manual, suits the petrol better

It could use more noise though, i've priced up milltek catback system, £900 fitted. Had milteks B4, always lovely results.

The MD has a 335i and says it transforms the car even B4 a remap.

Only thing is I'm waiting till run in, cos i've experienced some hesitancy and kangarooing at low revs, this is a known harbinger of fuel pump problem (see Bimmerfest for details). New pump sorts it but i don't want BMW to say its 'cos of the milltek.

Its a wonderful engine but, fast as it is, u can tell it's restrained and a LOT more to come with remap.

Considering the Hartge 380HP conversion but it's 3.5K, so i'll wait and see what a few other companies offer.

Re MPG i'm getting 25mpg with mixed driving but that'll fall when run in.......Nontheless it's extremely good for 300hp.

I was speaking to Mike Cooper at DMS today, as I will be colecting from Barons I would have gone straight to DMS and got it done while down that way, but the new ecu has not been cracked yet. They can read the data and adjust it but not able to upload it back again. Sure it won't be long though.

The Procede tuning box is out in the States, looks pretty good and you can upload different maps to it, not just an overfuelling box like many, $1300 but is giving 380bhp when using 93 octane (which is like our 98 ron).

Sounds like a decent spec and lovely car. I must admit I'm not sure I'm sold on the look of the E9- series. Probably based more on the look of the coupe in SE guise than anything else. Not driven one though so that may put that right! Good that you don't have to wait long for it though. That's the part of car buying I hate.

Well done on the figures btw, most believe the diesel's the way forward but I'm a firm believer in petrol. After a remap that'll be one swift, discreet car!