Playing with an RS4 today

UKLooney

Was driving into work late this morning and in the distance I spotted what looked like a shiny blue RS4 impatiently tailing a group of slower moving vehicles. I dabbed the throttle a bit so I'd catch up before we hit the dual carriageway ahead. I sped up behind him but kept a resectable distance. My lights were on auto, and had kicked on a while back, so I was pretty sure that he'd noticed me. grin.gif

We got to the roundabout where the road opened up into two lanes, a long mile and a half run straight uphill from the coastline to a hilltop roundabout. I wasn't holding out much hope, but dropped it into 2nd and kept a close eye on his tail pipes. The leading cars all kept over to the left and he planted it... I followed suit.

I didn't loose much ground till we hit around 80kph when it was clear he was pulling away. By the time he hit the brakes to take the fast approaching junction he was probably about 50m away, I glanced at the clock, 130kph. Held off the brakes for a split second, brakes hard on, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd,hard left, 2nd and was straight up his chuff again (boy is that DSG good 169144-ok.gif). By the time we exited the roundabout, I was sitting in the inside lane and creeping past his tail. Just about got level with him as I hit 4th, but alas, he had me.

Went another mile or two before we hit traffic at which point I backed off (don't mind killing myself, would rather others didn't get involved).

It was a mint 56 plate, so I can only imagine that he was taking it easy, wasn't too impressed if he was trying his hardest...

Normally after a years ownership, my interest in a car starts to tail off. This car is having the opposite effect, 12k miles and the engine feels sweet, and I use the gearbox far more often than I have in any manual car I've owned in the past.

An upgrade beckons...

Having drove the RS4 the other weekend, there was absolutely no way he was trying, or he would have rinsed you. After an hour out in the RS4, when I jumped back in my R32 it felt slow......really slow. the probably knew this all the time and was having a good bit of 'road banter' with you. It sounded good fun though and you both enjoyed it and thats the main thing 169144-ok.gif

I had the same yesterday when I was in the 335D and I had a chav in front of me in a Rover Turbo Coupe, as he came off the roundabout, you could see him grabbing gears and the whole time I was right behind him, casually resting one hand on top of the steering wheel. Eventually he pulled over and I shot past him, the look on his face was fantastic. ECLIPSe.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Pity your engine noise didn't deafen him too with the rattles and diesel cacophony ... yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.giflol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Very very good.......but on a serious not you should try one, their mid range punch is phenominal, and due to another child shortly, a touring version of the 335D or 335I could be my mode of transport for a couple of years 169144-ok.gif

I know exactly where you coming from, I love them too. But for a couple of years whilst, my new born is under two, I'll have my 'captain sensible' hat on.....well sort of sensible anyway, if you call 0-60 in six secs and mid range quicker than the 335I!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Took mine way off the beaten path in search of a tin of beans, yet again I drove back with a big smile on my face and a quarter tank less of Vpower

[/ QUOTE ]

it's catching, this "drive just for the sake of it" thing grin.gifjump.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It sure is wink.gif

Sounds like he wasn't trying. The S4 easily beats R32s. Just as you would expect....so the RS4 would have an even bigger gap.

Also I wouldn't be too confident coming up against a Rover Coupe Turbo in an R32. There are plenty of cherished examples around that even if standard I would expect to leave an R32 in a straight line. With new suspension they're pretty handy in the bends too.

For comparison

B7 RS4 250.9 bhp/tonne

B6/B7 S4 204.2 bhp/tonne

B6/B7 S4 Cab 182.7 bhp/tonne

Rover Coupe Turbo 164.1 bhp/tonne (no 4wd losses either!)

Mk4 R32 156.7 bhp/tonne

[ QUOTE ]

Was driving into work late this morning and in the distance I spotted what looked like a shiny blue RS4 impatiently tailing a group of slower moving vehicles. I dabbed the throttle a bit so I'd catch up before we hit the dual carriageway ahead. I sped up behind him but kept a resectable distance. My lights were on auto, and had kicked on a while back, so I was pretty sure that he'd noticed me.

We got to the roundabout where the road opened up into two lanes, a long mile and a half run straight uphill from the coastline to a hilltop roundabout. I wasn't holding out much hope, but dropped it into 2nd and kept a close eye on his tail pipes. The leading cars all kept over to the left and he planted it... I followed suit.

I didn't loose much ground till we hit around 80kph when it was clear he was pulling away. By the time he hit the brakes to take the fast approaching junction he was probably about 50m away, I glanced at the clock, 130kph. Held off the brakes for a split second, brakes hard on, 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd,hard left, 2nd and was straight up his chuff again (boy is that DSG good ). By the time we exited the roundabout, I was sitting in the inside lane and creeping past his tail. Just about got level with him as I hit 4th, but alas, he had me.

Went another mile or two before we hit traffic at which point I backed off (don't mind killing myself, would rather others didn't get involved).

[/ QUOTE ]

Had a very similar situation about 6 months ago on some dual carriage ways through Ringwood/Poole/Bridport. Yes there is no doubt that an S4 is more powerful, yes an RS4 is way more powerful, but , i was surprised with the DSG how well the .:R32 kept up over a dual carriage way stretch , the RS4 did get away from me , but not as much as I thought. I think when full on it, the DSG through all 5 gear changes does accrue to quite a bit of gained time.

just my 2 penneth 169144-ok.gif