Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tarmac_Terrorist

GTI Ed30 golf ball gear shifter - Manual

35 posts in this topic

Hi folks, I'm looking to replace the standard GTI shifter with the edition 30 golf ball type.

Does anyone know where I can source one of these? The link in a previous thread to an ebay seller is now invalid.

I haven't tried as yet, but do you think my VW dealer would be likely to source one (without a 3 month wait) grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

is this the knob you're looking for?

[/ QUOTE ]

No it's like the original GTI gear stick but with golf ball indentations 169144-ok.gif

has to be said - in the voice of Obi-Wan - "these aren't the nobs you're looking for ..."

Nope - that's the knobs they get in the USA

The edition30 one is identical to the existing manual GTI knob including the silver metalwork on it but it has red stitching and golf ball indentations. I'm hurridly searching for a pic to post of one 169144-ok.gif

I've handled the Ed30 DSG 'knob' EEK2.GIF and it's surprisingly tactile and comfortable because of the indentations.

Wish I'd not got DSG now would love to handle a nob like that every day.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

too much infomation there me thinks... wink.gifgrin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They do it for DSG also!

It's a well known fact that people with DSG have a bigger knob than those with manual wink.gif

According to some, if we drive a GTI, we're all knobs! grin.gif

No didn't approach VW to be honest, the chap on ebay posted it out next day, so no waiting. Which suited me. laugh.gif

Also if its of interest Tarmac T. I have seen the Edition 30 knob with black stitching instead of red, from the same seller, sure he would sort you out if you asked (Can't seem to find link to this). Would suit the standard interior better with black stitching? and would still get the pimply knob! 169144-ok.gifyelrotflmao.gif

[ QUOTE ]

and would still get the pimply knob! 169144-ok.gifyelrotflmao.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of nice young ladies who will give you one of them free of charge! 123576-assfeck.gifbuttcheeks.gif

[ QUOTE ]

No didn't approach VW to be honest, the chap on ebay posted it out next day, so no waiting. Which suited me. laugh.gif

Also if its of interest Tarmac T. I have seen the Edition 30 knob with black stitching instead of red, from the same seller, sure he would sort you out if you asked (Can't seem to find link to this). Would suit the standard interior better with black stitching? and would still get the pimply knob! 169144-ok.gifyelrotflmao.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks - The black stitching might look a bit less bling actually. 169144-ok.gif Is the golf ball still covered in leather? It looks plastic from the pics but can't imagine VW would do that?

Yeah, its a rubber/plastic material. Feels and looks good imo, not cheap as you might expect that type of material to look.

Just thought I would get a comparison price buying via VW parts department. I called in at the dealer in Basingstoke and went to the parts section. The guy had never heard of a GTI Edition 30 and wanted a chassis number. I explained that I was just looking for the part to fit to my MY06 standard GTI and therefore my chasis number would be no use but confirmed that the Ed 30 has only been out about 3 months. On the computer he pulled up about 10 different knobs EEK2.GIF but was unable to distinguish which it could be. He wasn't particularly helpful and to be honest despite talking to him for less than 3 minutes made me feel like I was wasting his time after the first 20 seconds with a kind of 'can't do' attitude!

Glad I didn't buy my car from them ROLLEY~14.GIF

I've had similar experiences in dealer part depts.. Clueless, so I'm not surprised he wouldn't know what you were on about.