Honeymoon USA Car hire (Gas Guzzling Monster!)

sms720

Hi

I am getting married in 4 weeks and because my other half is a teacher we are having a short honeymoon in Dubai immediately after the wedding. Then this summer we want to have a week in the Carribean and then fly to West Coast USA and do a sight-seeing tour by car for 10 days.

I really want to hire a massive gas guzzling jeep for something completely different to the diesels I drive over here. Haven't got a clue where to start looking as the on-line car hire places only seem to do what I would call "normal " cars. I want something big and "special".

Any ideas what and where to get something really cool for our road trip?

Thanks

Si

Hertz do all the of the big 4 wheel drives including Hummers and Q7's. Just have a look at their Prestige Collection and/or 4WD/AWD sections. Just enter the LAX airport code or something else on the West Coast to see what they can offer. Hired a Mustang convertible from them a couple of years back. 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Just out of curiosity I priced a Hummer out of LAX from June 14th until August 15th with Hertz.

A massive car at a massive price - just under £2900!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Approx £50 a day assuming your dates are right. That ain't so bad actually!

Try finding the prices for something like a Merc SL or Conti GT out of Vegas; that's pretty damn scary stuff! grin.gif

If you are thinking of driving the 101 (Californias costal highway) get yourself a stang, drop the top and enjoy.

It has really nice scenery, vine yards, nice beaches and a guest houses.

Against popular thought America really does have some good driving roads where you can get down some speed, take some corners and enjoy the weather and the sites. I esp. like the rockies and the less busy Tetons. Around the Tetons car are cheaper to rent esp. out of the snowy ski and board season.

You will have a blast in CA....wish i was there!!

Geoff

Hertz in some locataions have a special edition Mustang Hertz Racer. A take on a classic Shelby mustang that was sold to Hertz by Carrol Shelby, the popular story that racers used to rent them for the weekend to race and then brought them back well worn.

ZEUSCXAR999.jpg

Octane Magazine did the PCH in one, cost about £80 per day I think. very cool.

[ QUOTE ]

Hertz in some locataions have a special edition Mustang Hertz Racer.

[/ QUOTE ]

They were available for a very reasonable price in Vegas, when I looked into it. The only problem for us was that we couldn't get one in LA which is where we were setting off up the PCH from and getting 4 people and luggage into it was a non-starter. crazy.gif

Obviously for a honeymoon trip that wouldn't be a problem, and they do look very cool. cool.gif

We rented this Dodge Durango instead and to be fair it would qualify as a 'gas guzzling monster' since it had a big V8 and would dwarf a Range Rover - I think it managed about 14mpg over the 3000 miles we drove it. grin.gif

1110604-dodge.jpg

post-5143-137914394162_thumb.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I think it managed about 14mpg over the 3000 miles we drove it. grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that US or UK sized gallons? smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

UK ones, JS. I should have quoted the mpg in US ones to really emphasise the 'gas guzzlingness' it displayed. grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... 14-US would have been pretty impressive for such a vehicle! 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Out of interest how much is fuel over there at the minute?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well in September 2006 it was roughly $2.95. That's compared to just over $3 in September 2005, when we were also on the West Coast.

Obviously though they're US gallons, which are 3.8 litres as opposed to our 4.56 litre gallons.

So that works out at near enough £1.50 per gallon (US) and £1.80 per gallon (imperial). 169144-ok.gif