R36

NotSoSure

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how long it is before this thread is closed, due to a couple running already coffee.gif

On the R36 though, this is exactly what VW customer services told me, that there are 10 or so 'mules' being tested in germany already.....and I have one on order jump.gif

Didn’t think of posting the link on the tail end of another R36 thread – Sorry! If someone wants to paste the link and delete this thread, feel free blush.gif

Knowing that the R36 is now a definite possibility is going to make ordering an R32 very difficult, no? Think I’ll be waiting a couple of months to see how this unfolds, 300 bhp with a warranty sounds good.

Think the front looks nice, really sets it apart from the rest of the range.

[ QUOTE ]

So who thinks if VW do release a 300bhp golf, Audi will release the RS3? The Golf can't out perform an Audi equivalent can it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im sure we've had this discussion, but didnt the MKIV R32 out perform the 'old' S3??

Mk4 R32 will out perform all standard 225 S3's.

Quite why peeps with Audi's continue to mention that VW wouldn't 'dare' be faster than Audi is beyond me.

The A3 3.2 is slower than the Mk4 and 5 R32.

I's see it as a great way of getting 2 sets of engineers to compete on the performance side, VW make something faster, Audi come along and usurp- Great for us 'users'.

And no different from BMW M v Audi RS 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I wonder how long it is before this thread is closed, due to a couple running already coffee.gif

On the R36 though, this is exactly what VW customer services told me, that there are 10 or so 'mules' being tested in germany already.....and I have one on order jump.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

so does that mean you 335d is going to be cancelled then crazy.gif169144-ok.gif

If it is an R36, Golf with 3.6L engine, then its seems to be quite far forward if its cold weather testing.

As far as we know, its also been high speed testing at the ring, so it could we see the light of day.

I'd be tempted to swop the Edition 30 for one if it arrived in the next 18 months - 2 years, dependant on fuel economy.

Dave

[ QUOTE ]

I would have said no but I suppose the previous S3 was 225 and the MKIV R32 was 237hp so why not??? 169144-ok.gif

RS3 would be nice though! 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point! I'm still struggling to comprehend what’s going on at VW headquarters though. Why an earth would you stick a 3.6 litre engine in the front of a Golf with maybe 300bhp.... When other manufacturers can make 300+ bhp out of a 2 litre engine. I know it's a V6 v 4 pot turbo but surely with environmental issues etc being talked about constantly they want to make their new car look slightly more appealing to the motorist when it comes to taxing, insuring etc? Or am I just talking crap and they should go for it and whack a 5 litre V10 in there and be done with it!

Exactly. In fact, look at what BeeEmm get out of their 3.2 litre inline 6's in the M3 CS... Far more than VW get out of a 3.2 litre VR6... In my opinion, I cant justify selling the 3.2 just to waste 8k in depreciation and spend another 30k on something that is frankly not that efficient for it's size. My money will be going on reliable FI or SC upgrades to get more out of the capacity I have right now, before it all gets silly and golfs start running around with 4.2 V8's to keep up with the power figures that other hot hatches are putting out with 2.5 Turbo's... Just my 50pence worth...

VW will try anything to boost sales. Should be around £28K apparently.

Given the choice, if the S3 and RSi were the same price, I would probably choose the Golf - I just can't get on with the shape of the back of the 3 door A3. If they updated the rear of the car to look like the Sportback, I would seriously consider it.