Mechanical differences between 140 and 170TDi

Fucawi

What is the difference between the 140 and 170bhp TDi VW engines? The dealers maintains that there is a larger turbo on the 170, but you can easily map a 140 to 170bhp. The 170 has the particulate filter, which says to me that the engine is remapped and chucks out more soot that needs to be burnt off.............

Answers on a postcard to.. confused.gif

170:

Common rail direct injection with piezo injectors; intercooling, rapid pre-heating, Bosch EDC 16; volume, injection-start, boost-pressure control.

Inline 4-cylinder diesel engine with VTG turbocharger, DOHC;

140:

High-pressure pump-injector direct injection; intercooling, rapid pre-heating, Bosch EDC 16; volume, injection start, boost-pressure control.

Inline 4-cylinder diesel engine with VTG turbocharger, DOHC; TDI direct injection.

Hmm. Curious.

Not being an Audiphile (made up name grin.gif) I never checked their site before. VW site brochure lists the 170tdi model golf as "TBA" (to be advised). So I went straight to the Skoda site and looked at the Octavia VRs 170. They list it as "the new PD170 engine", as does Seat.

Now we have a problem...... cos we're both right. grin.gif

The original poster must've asked the question wrong. 169144-ok.gif

I'll ask my mate at VW tomorrow what the Golf engine has, but I'm fairly certain there's been discussion on here about the new 170 engine being a remapped 140.

PD170 is not common rail - its an error on the Audi UK site.

Main differences between 140 and 170 on A3 and larger FMIC and pipes, different turbo, injectors and modfied air induction system.

Main differences between 140 and 170 on the A4 are twin intercooler, different turbo, injectors, dual exhaust system and a few other insignificant things.

Both Longitudinal and Tranverse PD170's have Diesel Particulate filters too although this obviously doesn't boost performance.

Thanks. Proving what we already knew, which is the Audi.co.uk site is updated/manged by chimps, and cannot be relied on in the slightest! Bose wasnt listed when configuring an A3 until recently. If you spec'd light pack it said you had to have TV, and then DVD Nav (3k for light pack, hmmm). Then they put an "offer" saying S-line included Sport free!

• 3 weeks later...