Remap

Golfer

I have tried to find out the weight of the S5.

The RS4 is 1650Kg (saloon) with 414BHP = 4.8secs 0-100Kph 306g/km

and the S4 series saloon is 1660Kg with 354BHP = 5.6secs 0-100Kph 322Kph!!!!!!!!

then ???? S5 with 354BHP = 5.1secs 0-100Kph 298g/km

should be between 1525/1585Kg by my reconing, any comments.

PS) Emissions figures dont add up for the S4 and S5? or am I missing something UHOH7.GIF

Garson, Is this what you mean?.

S4 Saloon

S4 4.2 quattro 344 PS 6 speed

ModelS4 Avant

4.2 quattro 344 PS 6 speed

PricePrice

£37,415

PricePrice

£38,565

Driving PerformanceTopspeed

155 mph

Acceleration 0-100 km/h

5.6 Seconds

Fueltype

Consumption (Urban)

14.5 mpg

Consumption (Extra-urban)

28.8 mpg

Consumption (Combined)

21.2 mpg

Carbondioxide Emissions

321 g/km

Emission Class Engine

At the heart beats a 4.2 litre V8 engine with a power output of 350PS and a six-speed manual acceleration of 0 to 62mph in 5.9 seconds. Capped to cruise at 155mph, this dynamo performer also has the V8 sound to match.

169144-ok.gif

Well kind of yeah. The S4 - as far as I know - has the 344 PS non FSI 4.2 V8.

The S5 has the 354 PS FSI 4.2 V8 (similar to the one in the A6/A8 4.2).

So there's a difference of 10 PS and quite possibly the power delivery between the S4 and S5 - so direct comparison between S4 and S5 performance figures to extrapolate the weight of the S5 ain't gonna work. At least not accurately.

I think.

tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Well kind of yeah. The S4 - as far as I know - has the 344 PS non FSI 4.2 V8.

The S5 has the 354 PS FSI 4.2 V8 (similar to the one in the A6/A8 4.2).

So there's a difference of 10 PS and quite possibly the power delivery between the S4 and S5 - so direct comparison between S4 and S5 performance figures to extrapolate the weight of the S5 ain't gonna work. At least not accurately.

I think.

tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That is strange as the new S4 is £46K+ why would they put an older engine in it?. UHOH7.GIF

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

The base price of the S4 Saloon is £36,590 or am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep spec one up and see 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh sure, though I'm pretty mean with myself on some of the toys so I won't hit that number, event on an Avant.

[ QUOTE ]

That is strange as the new S4 is £46K+ why would they put an older engine in it?. UHOH7.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's just about to become obsolete, so they aren't going to do any work on it.

Changing the engine would probably invalidate the type approval which would be VERY expensive to re-do, and with very low sales of the S4 since the RS4 became available and the model dying later this year there just is no justification to spend the money...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's just about to become obsolete, so they aren't going to do any work on it.

Changing the engine would probably invalidate the type approval which would be VERY expensive to re-do, and with very low sales of the S4 since the RS4 became available and the model dying later this year there just is no justification to spend the money...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I see your point 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The base price of the S4 Saloon is £36,590 or am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep spec one up and see 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

But then take the discount off and you're probaly still around the OTR price (I asked in the last few weeks knowing B7 S4 production was coming to an end and there are hefty discounts to be had). I doubt there will be much discount to be had on a new S5.

Zippo on an S5. My S5 spec is £46k and a similar S4 saloon would be £43k list but £38k actual so the spread is really £8k.

I'm tempted by a low spec 3.0tdi with a remap or may just not bother given the lack of adaptive damping (the magnetic ride on my new TTR is brilliant BTW).

[ QUOTE ]

Zippo on an S5. My S5 spec is £46k and a similar S4 saloon would be £43k list but £38k actual so the spread is really £8k.

I'm tempted by a low spec 3.0tdi with a remap or may just not bother given the lack of adaptive damping (the magnetic ride on my new TTR is brilliant BTW).

[/ QUOTE ]

Merlott, I have reservations on this car myself, the remapped 3.0 TDI is going to give you 285BHP which should improve performance, but I've been there and economy can suffer, those figures for the diesel are somewhat optimistic from my memory. ROLLEY~14.GIF

The more I look at the price list, performance, economy (range on a tank from my perspective) and things, the more I am steered towards a low spec 3.0tdi sport at c£36.5k without nav.

With an S5 I am £8k more incl nav (S5 would need it for resale, 3.0tdi not IMHO) for my spec but I will be filling up after 250 miles rather than 400.

Which way are other people going?

To assess all round performance of a car and compare petrol to diesel, I average power (bhp) and torque (Ib/ft) and divide them by kerb weight. The S5 is 207 and the 3.0tdi 188. A remapped diesel usually gives 20% more so that would give the diesel 10% more than the S5.

Ok it would probably still be slower in a straight drag race but in normal driving a remapped diesel is likely to be quicker....can't believe I said that. Flush.gif

I wonder when Audi will cash in on it diesel success at Le Mans.

Perhaps they've something in the pipeline IF they win this year. Surely a diesel S5 (i.e. all the suspension, brakes etc plus a tuned oil burner) and a diesl TT has to be the way forward?