Newbie to this forum with questions (long)

JamesW

Hi all,

Thought I should say a quick hello and introduce myself before I start posting questions on here.

I'm currently trying to decide whether to go for a MkV GTi, an R32, or an Audi S3. Figure I probably won't get a totally unbiased response here.. smile.gifwink.gif

I'm moving from a three month old Audi RS4 Avant, which (especially after an 18 month wait from first putting down a deposit), is unfortunately not 'the right car' for me at the moment..

Why?

Well, Well, my reasons are (and this is a very tough decision for me, as the RS4 is awesome!) are:

1. I'm just not using it enough! We have a 6-month old baby, my wife and I run a business together, and it's usually a hell of a lot easier to fit everything in my wife's car, especially since there's not much car-seat room in the rear of the RS4 with bucket seats. So, it's a lot to be paying for a car that just sits idle on my drive for 4 days a week!

2. I worry every time I have to drive it into and leave it parked in London, Birmingham etc.! The only 'attention' I get for the car in town centres/petrol stations, seems to be from young scrotes in hoodies. My wife drovew the car two weeks ago, and some guys in an old BMW followed her from Alcester back to very near where we live, finally driving off when she pulled into a police station. That was enough for her!

3. It's not quite as much fun on a day-to-day basis as an all-out sports car. Plus, although it's a great drive, it doesn't feel quite as well-built, luxurious or 'special' as even the modded S4 Cabriolet I had before it. I may look for a cheap Elise or classic sports car, for those rare summer days when I can just 'go out for a blast!'.

4. I work in a small town, where you are very visible, and had two customers say, on seeing me get out of the RS4, 'Cor! You must be doing well!'. In 'tough times', certainly for the sector that I work in, I'm not sure it's conveying the right image about me or my business...

5. Think I've reached that sad point in my life, probably brought on by the baby, where you question your priorities. I love fast cars, (and I still do have a classic race car which I race almost every weekend during the Summer), but sad to say, but after 5 Lotuses (including two Esprit V8s - fantastic car!), 2 Porsches, 2 Ferraris, two fast Audis, plus 12 other fast cars of varying description, at this point in my life, having the fastest car is nice but ultimately doesn't enrich my life, or make me any happier than my baby son and wife already do! And I don't need to impress anyone to make me feel better about myself...!

So...will be selling the RS4 and probably getting a Golf GTi. Yes, it's nowhere near as fast, but it is fun to drive, has the same amount of legroom, most of the same 'toys', and for now, doesn't attract too much attention, or say too much about its' owner. Plus, I save 25 grand, and get an extra 400 quid back per month. Not the same as an RS4 in any shape or form, and I'm not kidding myself about that, but for now 'it'll do'!

So, went for a back to back test drive of a GTi Ed.30, and an R32. The GTi had the DSG, the R32 Manual. Have to say, even from a brief test drive, the R32 didn't feel any quicker, and actually felt the less good-handling car. Ploughed into corners more. Still a good drive.

Thing is, I really could do with 4WD, as i live in the middle of nowhere, and we do get mud on the road, and snow in winter. Hence me considering an S3.

My questions:

1. Does the R32 really handle so much worse than a Gti, or is it just my hasty decision?

2. How grippy is a GTi in icy/muddy/snowy conditions?

Look forward to contributing/asking questions in the forum. Excuse me if I ask anything stupid!!

James

So....if anyone wants to buy an RS4 Avant (Daytona Grey, bucket seats, tech pack) with ALL the goodies (including coolbox and TV), privacy glass, 2500miles on the clock, and 3 mnoths old, let me know. I'm open to VERY sensible offers...

Sorry for the rambling.....

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I went from S4 - Boxster S to GTI.

No its not as fast as any of them. But its a fun car that can be passed off as being sensible. I managed 33mpg the other week whilst behaving but usually get 29 on the motorway.

I will trade you a GTI for the RS4 if you want wink.gif

Been there, done that, had that dilemna - Not quite as exclusive as an RS4 mind. You spend your life lusting after nice cars, that when you get them they sometimes underwhelm in a big way. You then spend your time looking for the thrills you enjoyed as an 18 yr old motorist on a shoe string budget. It makes you question what brings you happiness with cars doesn't it! Still looking for the answer TBH! In answer to your questions though...

1/ Not really - the R32 is a fine machine in every respect, just thirstier than the GTI. The Gti would feel lighter and less nose heavy though, which in theory should make for a more nimble car. Maybe the fact that the GTi was DSG meant you had both hands on the wheel at all times perhaps, made you feel more in control confused.gif (just a thought!)

2/ Sh!t IMO and it drives me mad!!!!! I dearly dearly miss AWD. The GTi's traction is it's single biggest drawback for me. It's not a fault of it per say, just the fault of a FWD car with 200 hp! That said it will cope with all conditions and would you want to drive a car fast in Snow/ice anyway?!?

If it is a real problem then maybe you should use the change to buy a Panda 4x4 too grin.gif

If it were me I think i'd go for the S3 (beacuse of the AWD)

then the .:R for the same reasons and also for that growl, then the GTi last. They are all fine machines and the lack of DSG in the S3 would be a real bummer, but placing the GTi last by no means makes it a dud choice, it's still a fine machine if every respect (i still adore mine!) 169144-ok.gifbeerchug.gif

Thanks for the reasoned and balanced reply.

Yes, your first paragraph sums up exactly how I feel! I suspect I will go back and have another test drive again of the R32, maybe with a DSG box. Ironically the thing that appeals to me about the Golfs over the Audi is precisely that they look less 'lary'. I'd be worried with the S3 that I'd be in the same boat again leaving it parked in the centre of town in dodgy areas. The GTi, and even more, the R32, are fairly discreet.

Once again, thanks for the honest reply. I think I need to drive all three cars again...

James

[ QUOTE ]

Been there, done that, had that dilemna - Not quite as exclusive as an RS4 mind. You spend your life lusting after nice cars, that when you get them they sometimes underwhelm in a big way. You then spend your time looking for the thrills you enjoyed as an 18 yr old motorist on a shoe string budget. It makes you question what brings you happiness with cars doesn't it! Still looking for the answer TBH! In answer to your questions though...

1/ Not really - the R32 is a fine machine in every respect, just thirstier than the GTI. The Gti would feel lighter and less nose heavy though, which in theory should make for a more nimble car. Maybe the fact that the GTi was DSG meant you had both hands on the wheel at all times perhaps, made you feel more in control confused.gif (just a thought!)

2/ Sh!t IMO and it drives me mad!!!!! I dearly dearly miss AWD. The GTi's traction is it's single biggest drawback for me. It's not a fault of it per say, just the fault of a FWD car with 200 hp! That said it will cope with all conditions and would you want to drive a car fast in Snow/ice anyway?!?

If it is a real problem then maybe you should use the change to buy a Panda 4x4 too grin.gif

If it were me I think i'd go for the S3 (beacuse of the AWD)

then the .:R for the same reasons and also for that growl, then the GTi last. They are all fine machines and the lack of DSG in the S3 would be a real bummer, but placing the GTi last by no means makes it a dud choice, it's still a fine machine if every respect (i still adore mine!) 169144-ok.gifbeerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What, you're not seriously suggesting it is, are you? shocked.gif

Not that it bothers me, as I said. Driving fun is just as important as all out speed!

James

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

So...will be selling the RS4 and probably getting a Golf GTi. Yes, it's nowhere near as fast,

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahem, come again? coffee.gif

yelrotflmao.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi James

Small world - I sold my Esprit V8-GT last year.. did you get another V8 after the sport350?

I have a Mk5 Gti as a company car, my dad has a Mk5 R32. Not driven an S3 yet.. Personally I don't think the R32 is worth the extra. Yes, its more torquey and yes it has 4wheel drive but to be honest its extra weight dulls the additional performance and if it was me, id go GTi. Irrespective of which is ultimately the better car, the value for money thing makes the gti my choice.

If the mud/snow are really an issue just get a cheap set of 16" rims for your gti and put some appropriate tyres on for the bad weather.

Also, a GTi in a dark colour with std wheels is a hell of a lot more stealthy than an R32 or an S3.

IMHO of course.

cheers

Rob E

I don't think the S3 is anymore lairy than an S Line IMO. Mr Joe Public certainly wouldn't be able to tell that one is necessarily better than the other. A GTi on 18"s (which is a must) is quite a looker and surprisingly attracts more attention than any car i've ever owned.

If the Chancellor increases the road tax for high CO2 cars I can see depreciation being a problem with the R32. People will be put off by the higher tax band even if it is only another £100 a year or so but the higher rate stuff will become somewhat undesirable. Therefore your money may be safer in a GTI.

I had a MKV GTI, re-mapped to 240BHP, before my .:R and absolutely loved it in every resepct. When I got the R32 I realsied how much more composed it is compared to the GTI, ie not scrabbling to put the power down under hard acceleration, However show them both the same road in dry conditions and there wont be much between them.

However the R is a lot heavier than the GTI, and you can feel this when driving it, and the fuel economy, or lack of it, is terrible when compared - I used to get low 30's on my GTI, where as it is alsways around 22 on the R32.

But I actually like the 'heavy' feeling - makes it feel more planted, and is also a fantastic motorway mileage muncher, as well as being great on the twisty's.

What I have also noticed of late, is the number of GTI's about, and lack of R32's. IN my area there must be approx 6 or 7 GTI's or more that I see all the time, and yet I see no R32's at all.

And one final point in comparison is the noise, the .:R wins hand down every time bowdown.gif

It depends what you want from a car, James, but the Golfs imo are more practical as an allrounder than an S3, especially as 5-door. As far as 'attention' is concerned I think that the S3 attracts the least attention (a bit dull imo) with R32 second and GTI top of the attention getting list, depending also on colour.

I think that Oli has described the differences very well. If I had a R32 I'd want the APS300 version. I've never found my GTI has grip problems - Sure, you can get wheelspin but it's easy to control and it just tells me to take it easier - And that's with 245 neddies courtesy of Revo Stage1.

IMHO

If the s3 had the dsg option then that would be the car. Whenever I have seen them they don’t stand out shouting.

I think the ED30 would be a real fun car once chipped (same engine and turbo as the s3, different map). Front wheel drive can be a lot of fun, just change your driving style to accommodate it.

I’m a Turbo fan, so larger aspirated engines aren’t my thing and that would rule out the R:.

Each to there own!

[ QUOTE ]

Strangely enough I think that my DSG runs better since the Revo Stage1 remap.

169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should say that RR, but since I got Bluefined I would also say the DSG is now ultra smooth.

In fact I am enjoying the car so much now my MPG has dropped to 25 FIREdevil.gif

Hi Rob!

Small world indeed! Yes, I did get another Esprit, a late model ('02) V8, but sold it after 3 months after finding out about the (unplanned!) baby...!

Seems there are two sides to every argument, and the R32 vs. GTi seems to bring them out!

So, what did you replace the Esprit with?

James

[ QUOTE ]

Hi James

Small world - I sold my Esprit V8-GT last year.. did you get another V8 after the sport350?

I have a Mk5 Gti as a company car, my dad has a Mk5 R32. Not driven an S3 yet.. Personally I don't think the R32 is worth the extra. Yes, its more torquey and yes it has 4wheel drive but to be honest its extra weight dulls the additional performance and if it was me, id go GTi. Irrespective of which is ultimately the better car, the value for money thing makes the gti my choice.

If the mud/snow are really an issue just get a cheap set of 16" rims for your gti and put some appropriate tyres on for the bad weather.

Also, a GTi in a dark colour with std wheels is a hell of a lot more stealthy than an R32 or an S3.

IMHO of course.

cheers

Rob E

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Hi Rob!

Small world indeed! Yes, I did get another Esprit, a late model ('02) V8, but sold it after 3 months after finding out about the (unplanned!) baby...!

Seems there are two sides to every argument, and the R32 vs. GTi seems to bring them out!

So, what did you replace the Esprit with?

James

[/ QUOTE ]

hi james

I test drove a couple of other v8's but nothing was right for me at the time - came very close to buying the ex-John Roberts laser blue 02 car with the mag wheels (the top gear car) but changed my mind at the last minute - won't go into the details.. to be honest I was super cautious given my running costs on the last one - so i ended up going with "plan B" which was to spend less, buy an elise (which would be cheaper to run) and put the rest of the cash away as a future deposit on a new '08 esprit.

I'm now on "plan C" which goes like this: wife pregnant(woohoo!) wife made redundant.. oops.. er, sell everything... swap boring diesel company car for a GTI.

Congrats btw on your news - when are you due? Ours is 16th June - ie Le Mans weekend... great timing..!

R