Newbie to this forum with questions (long)

JamesW

[ QUOTE ]

One thing to note is that the GTI has a larger boot as it's not carting around 4x4. Make push chair carrying easyer.

[/ QUOTE ]

....I specifically checked out the Mk5 R32 and GTI boot size differences and the .:R is just 2" less floor depth. Although 2" isn't much, it can make a big difference according to what you have to carry.

DSCF0514.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honoust i would prob plump for a A3 5door 2.0T as its does not stand out and attract attension like all the ones you have listed and is near as good as them too. I would feel much better leaving it somewere than any of your other choices if image and looks are not what you want.

Oh and it will be cheaper to tax than the V6 R32 or V6 A3 after the budget.

True Robin,

I think from his post if it was me i would prob go for a 5door A3 2.0T Quattro (i think its availbale in the 5door)

Does not stand out, so does not attract the wrong attention so can be left places, has the 4 wheel drive, 5door practicality, power of the GTI, and cheaper than the GTI due to good discounts.

Hi all,

Thanks for the sensible and reasoned responses to my question. It's nice to see that not all car forums immediately resort to the 'my car is better than any other car in the world', or 'outbraked an Enzo on the m25 yesterday' type comments.

I'm trying to get a test-drive by the weekend in a DSG R32, just to be sure. Agree with the comments about the A3 2.0. Yes, it has the same engine as the GTi, BUT it also has to cart around 4WD, plus it looks REALLY boring. Ahem, perhaps my definition of stealthy doesn't extend to non-descript.

Interesting comparison of boot sizes. Pushchair compatability is a major issue.

And Rob E, we already had our baby, in August last year...! 30% of me thinks 'I wish i could have my old life back, some spare time back, a lie-in, a sex life, etc. etc. The other 70% of me, wouldn't change things for the world. All I would say (and I'm sure others on here would concur) is that NOTHING (no books, no NCT classes, no ante-natal classes) repeat NOTHING can prepare you for the shock of the first few days at home with the baby, or for the changes in your life. But it's worth it...

Oops! back to cars...

James

[ QUOTE ]

All I would say (and I'm sure others on here would concur) is that NOTHING (no books, no NCT classes, no ante-natal classes) repeat NOTHING can prepare you for the shock of the first few days at home with the baby

[/ QUOTE ]

This one does grin.gif...

twilight_zone.jpg

FYI, the Pliko Push chair from Mamas and Papas is brilliant and folds widthways as well as lengthways. It's light, very solid, looks cool and can take newbies from a about 2 months (as the seat folds flat). It actually made a sh!t load of difference in my GTi's boot 169144-ok.gif

I have a GTI and back in January, I was offered a fantastic deal on a new R32. I test drove the '32, but at the end of the day, I preferred the ride / handling / drive of the GTI.

If you want a straight swop of your RS4 for my GTI, I may be tempted wink.gif

BTW - what colour is / was the RS4 ?

[ QUOTE ]

Hi all,

Thanks for the sensible and reasoned responses to my question. It's nice to see that not all car forums immediately resort to the 'my car is better than any other car in the world', or 'outbraked an Enzo on the m25 yesterday' type comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

....Err ?? Such comments have been known! Stick around!

Re babies - As a father of two, now much older, I can report that they get even better as they get older 169144-ok.gif.

Hmmmm.......very kind of you to offer the swap....let me think about it.....OK, I've thought about it...NO! yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

The RS4 is Daytona Grey. Just had three dealers give me offers to buy the car. Bearing in mind the car was just over 55 grand new, three months ago, the offers from dealers range from £45-48k. EEK2.GIFEEK2.GIF

In all seriousness, if anyone knows anyone who may be looking for one, at over 5 grand off list price, I'd be looking for £50k privately. Sorry, end of ad...

James

[ QUOTE ]

If you want a straight swop of your RS4 for my GTI, I may be tempted wink.gif

BTW - what colour is / was the RS4 ?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm.......very kind of you to offer the swap....let me think about it.....OK, I've thought about it...NO! yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

The RS4 is Daytona Grey. Just had three dealers give me offers to buy the car. Bearing in mind the car was just over 55 grand new, three months ago, the offers from dealers range from £45-48k. EEK2.GIFEEK2.GIF

In all seriousness, if anyone knows anyone who may be looking for one, at over 5 grand off list price, I'd be looking for £50k privately. Sorry, end of ad...

James

[/ QUOTE ]

James - the best colour IMHO. I would love to buy it unfortunately, the wife says no mad.gif

Good luck with whatever you decide !

Further to my previous posting, the latest....

Well, I had a drive in the S3 (dealer let me try it for a couple of days). With sincere apologies to any S3 owners reading this (and I've been a loyal Audi driver for the last 3 years) I was severely underwhelmed - which really surpised me, as I really wanted to like the car!

I thought the looks were fairly understated (well, except for the fact that the demo car was bright yellow!), to the point of blandness. But then, I was looking for something more stealthy than the RS4. However, what I was not prepared for was the 'cheap and nasty' feel to the (admittedly bog-standard basic spec) car. the plastics, IMHO, actually looked lower-rent than the GTi. And the 'sports' steering wheel, which on the surface looks similar to the one in my RS4, is much thinner, and cheaper feeling. The car started with the (diesely?) clatter that I heard on the Golf, although was then more subdued. There was a raspy exhaust note, but to my mind not a totally pleasant one. I found the power delivery somewhat strange. When the power comes on tap, it's almost like kick-down in an auto. Not very linear at all. And the steering was as dead as any Audi I've driven (except for the RS4). It's certainly a quick car, but feels like a bit of an after-thought. A bit like 'take A3, add lairy engine, add 'sports' accoutrements, add 'racy' wheels, but don't bother to really sort the chassis (too expensive to re-engineer). Yes, I know it's the same chassis as the Golf, bt it just somehow felt less involving....as I say, this is all IMHO, and apologies if I've offended anyone!!

So...broke the news to the dealer that I'd be getting a Golf! But I did tantalise/placate him, by telling him that I'd be on the lookout for a used R8 in a year and a half (well you can only be subtle/stealthy for so long!).

So, my spec I think is:

GTi Edition 30 5dr.

DSG

MFD2/Highline

Standard Ed 30 Seats

Xenons

Probably Slate grey

Any other useful options I should consider? I may consider an import...any experiences of Euro Imports? I think I will run it in, then do a bit of tweaking - maybe a Bluefin, and Milltek.

Regards,

James

P.S. Yes, I also tried an R32 DSG. Liked it, but still felt a bit 'heavy' compared to the GTi. If I get really stick on slippery roads, can always consider this at a later date.

it's unlikely that you would get a rhd ed30 as an import since all 1500 are supposedily allocated for these shores from the factory.

I would also suggest you consider the centre armrest option.

btw the standard rcd 300 headunit is not very good if you listen to the cd/radio much.

good luck with whatever you decide... 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

it's unlikely that you would get a rhd ed30 as an import since all 1500 are supposedily allocated for these shores from the factory.

I would also suggest you consider the centre armrest option.

btw the standard rcd 300 headunit is not very good if you listen to the cd/radio much.

good luck with whatever you decide... 169144-ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen a company advertise the Ed30 as imports somewere last week.

The MFD2/highline: He lists is the satnav, so he would get the armrest (6cd or ipod), Highline etc wink.gif

Other popular options are:

Lux pack 1: basically folding mirrors and passenger mirror points down for reversing.

Parking assist: Rear parking sensors and the mirror pointing down again.

MFSW: multifunction steering wheel for control of audio and Highline.

Options are a personal thing so imho just pick what YOU want not what others say you should pick.

Well, after all my questions, and deliberation, thought you'd like to know that I went ahead and paid my deposit on this (hopefully collecting next week):

IMG_2550.jpg

Yes, it's an Edition 30 DSG - import, (doesn't bother me that much TBH), and it has a fairly top-end spec.

So...the RS4 goes next week (sniff!), but I'm looking forward to sharing my fun and tribulations on this Forum as a new GTi owner.

Briefly considered the R32, but decided to go with my gut instinct, especially since the prospect of an R36 may affect residuals on that.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.

James

P.S. Can anyone with black wheels confirm how difficult/easy they are to keep clean??