Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sidicks

Audi R8 - Sat Nav question

11 posts in this topic

Just a quick question about the opional Sat Nav system in the R8 - Does this include a TV tuner, as is available for other models in the range?

If not, why not? Can it be retro-fitted?

Cheers

beerchug.gif

Sidicks

Sat nav in the R8 is the standard RNS-E as used in the A3/A4/TT. So it would not be included, but I don't see any reason why Audi would not include it as an option. And if it is an option, then it can be retrofitted.

But my advice would be if it can be factory fitted then order your R8 with it. Retrofitting TV is not cheap as it is quite a labour intensive.

[ QUOTE ]

But my advice would be if it can be factory fitted then order your R8 with it. Retrofitting TV is not cheap as it is quite a labour intensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

As craigyb says, fitting the TV option is much more than just fitting a TV tuner.

On the A4 it also means adding the fitting tray for the tuner in the boot, new aerial amplifers both sides and quite a lot of wiring from front to back of the car and around the boot area.

Might be "interesting" trying to do that working around the mid engine on the R8.

So why have the used the Sa Nav from the A3/A4/TT range, rather than the (presumably) superior unit from the A6 / A8 range?

It seems slightly strange as the R8 is meant to be the new flagship vehicle..................

beerchug.gif

Sidicks

Does the Gallardo not have a TV option? I thought they were based on the same hardware?

beerchug.gif

Sidicks

Gallardo is RNS-E as well and it can have TV as an option

[ QUOTE ]

Gallardo is RNS-E as well and it can have TV as an option

[/ QUOTE ]

Surprised that is's not available on the R8 in that case!

Sidicks

[ QUOTE ]

Not the most worthwhile option though really...

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously not, but if you have the Sat Nav already then it shouldn't (in theory) cost much extra, and could be useful on the odd occasion.

Sidicks

[ QUOTE ]

could be useful on the odd occasion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you live in Cumbria - which is the first region to have analogue TV switched off later this year.