Car Insurance screw job

audi_novice

i have my car insurace with Lloyds TSB. essentially what has happened is that my insurance is due for renewl next month and i rang them to get a revised quote. the insurace has my mum as first driver and me as second named driver. somehow lloyds had me down as spouse and not as son in the policy. when i told them this was wrong they revised the premium i paid for last year and now say i owe an extra £500 to cover last years insurace as it was quoted wrong. what can i do to avoid paying this???

What does your original documentation say? It'll have you down as a named driver, but does it mention the relationship between you and the primary driver?

I echo the comments on seeking professional advice. However, I think you may have to pay up even though the error was their fault. But I would be arguing that as it was their fault, you require time to reimburse them as you can't afford to pay in one go. Maybe even offer a partial settlement. How did you pay the original premium, was it monthly or in one go?

Lloyds TSB will have to take you to court in order to recover their money using baliffs. So don't get too worried about their threats, not yet anyway.

Either way, it sounds like you have your car insured in your mum's name, with you as a named driver, to keep the premiums down - this is fraud and you're insurance is probably null and void anyway. NONO3.GIF

Did you take out the TSB ins via on line aplication or via postal application ?

If postal then I'd ask for a copy of the application as proof that the error was TSB admin, if the error is with TSB go tell them to suck on a lemon.

If the error was yours and you / your mum signed the proposal then they may have a case.

Since your Mum was the primary insurer, is the 'threat' being addressed to her or to you ?

the car is driven by both of us. can they make me pay even though i didnt make any claims last year? Ill have to check the original documents as to what it says on there. i filled it out online about 2 years ago so i mean it is possible that it was my mistake (damn scroll mouse). i can understand them wanting me to pay if i had used the insurance for a claim but seeing as i didnt and it seems to have been a genuine 100% mistake i dont think i should pay for something i havent used

But, it is your, or the policy holders responsibility to check the accuracy of the information on the written schedule and certificate.

I'd guess they are fully within their rights to claim the money back from the policy holder. Some may choose to pursue others may not but all the same, I'm sure it's legal for them to do so.

If you are not the main policy holder, then I doubt they can force you to pay. Which means your mum will be the person they pursue. Remember, two years ago they may have declined to insure you at all in your own right.

just found my certificate of motor insurance and motor insurance schedule,, neither say anything about how i am related to the main driver. TSB basically said its my duty to review the documents they send out, sign it and send it back. as the docs i have say nothing about me being son or spouse then they dont have a leg to stand on right???

Your best bet is probably to check with the Citizens Advice Bureau on this - you can guarantee that, if they believe they're right, your insurance company will pursue this to recover the money from you.

As per Daz's post above, though, you need to sort it out before you use the car - the consequences of not being insured are horrendous, and not just w.r.t. fines and points on your license, it's about what happens if you knock someone down and you're not insured. It's just not worth contemplating.

Best of luck sorting it out 169144-ok.gif

Bear in mind if you fight this, the insurance company will start digging for other things, so if you dont genuinly live at the address for the main driver, and in all honesty do "most of the driving", or the caar is registered in your own name, you might want to think carefully about how you progress with this.

[ QUOTE ]

just found my certificate of motor insurance and motor insurance schedule,, neither say anything about how i am related to the main driver. TSB basically said its my duty to review the documents they send out, sign it and send it back. as the docs i have say nothing about me being son or spouse then they dont have a leg to stand on right???

[/ QUOTE ]

They're right in that it's your responsibility to check the paperwork, but if nothing in that paperwork mentions your relationship, other than main & named driver, then how are you meant to know there's been a mistake? You're not.

So it may then lay with them checking any recordings of telephone conversations between you. I don't know if there is a procedure for it, but if they say the recordings show it's your mistake and you're adamant it wasn't, then ask for a copy.

But as edowen says, make sure everything else is in order before you initiate any action. As you may well be opening a whole pandora's box of trouble. UHOH7.GIF

Good luck. 169144-ok.gif