Help getting Nav info to show in DIS on 1998 A6

nicknick

I retrofitted an RNS-C Navi Plus to my A6. My car is an early A6 (C5 model) and has the analogue clock in the dash - hence reason I fitted an RNS-C (looks same as RNS-D but communicates via clock/data/enable wires rather than CAN Bus).

I can get radio info to show in the DIS fine (in fact I think I had to do nothing to get this) ...but if I follow the advice on Dan Goulds old site and add 16000 to the instruments coding this does not give me radio or nav info.

I'm going to try this again having just read on a post here that some of the codings take a while to stick or become active...but does anyone have any other ideas ( Sebastian ?)

Thanks

Nick

He says he doesn't have an RNS-D, he has an RNS-C with clk/data/enable and it is working for radio, but not for nav directions (I think).

But I still don't know the answer.

[ QUOTE ]

The only way the RNS-D can show Nav info on the DIS is when it has a TMC module as that acts as a CAN gateway from Bosch CAN to Audi's CAN. Did you fit TMC?

I thought the only RNS-D that used CAN was the A4 unit fitted from 2001 onwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

The though that maybe the RNS-C does use CAN bus (of sorts ?) is something I have wondered about ( in part as there are CAN Hi / Low wires indicated on the radio and I was told these would be used if the TV Tuner was fitted) ...but as my dash cluster doesn't have the digital clock I'm pretty sure there is no way it communicates via can bus.

I'm going to go and re-try the coding and leave it overnight and see if that does anything as I'm not sure I've ever left it before.

Checked the coding - it already had 16000 in ( in fact I had coding of 23460). I have removed the extra 7 made up of

+01 - Brake Pad Warning active

+02 - Seatbelt Warning active

+04 - Washer Fluid Warning active

to see if the 16 on it's own does anything.

As expected - radio still just works ...but so far no Nav info...

Info above is from here...

http://en.openobd.org/audi/a6_4b.htm#17

• 1 month later...

Have finally sorted this one out. Did some searching on www.navi-forum.net and found a reference to an A8 C-Navi that had radio but no Nav despite having added the 16000 to instruments. The advice I found was that channel 4 in navigation (37) needed to be 0 and not 1. Checked mine and sure enough it was 1 and my freeware VAG Com changed it ( despite VAGCom error saying it couldn't) and the new value was saved ok.

One quick re-start of the car and the DIS is now working and showing navigation directions atlast 169144-ok.gif