10 Reasons why PS3 will win this war

Snail

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

Snail you baffle me weve been going on about 360 vs PS3 and then you throw this out

[/ QUOTE ]

Didnt say i agree with it grin.gif

I have a couple of comments (Ash/Sparky, you knew this was coming grin.gif) Its also funny that a developer who doesn't seem to have any 360 games in development feels the need to comment confused.gif

Point 4, How can he say that movies will win the console war? Yet not even mention the fact the you cant give the 360 away in Japan.

Point 5, HDMI....i dont need to say anything grin.gif

Point 10, This is the interesting one, and actually quite matched up with Point 7 (the Wii). I'll completely agree the PS2 has far more game variety than the xbox, but i dont think the same will be said of this gen.

Firstly quirky games need a big userbase because they wont be the next Halo, or Metal Gear Solid, so need to work on numbers, which means at the moment going onto 360 or Wii. The Wii is especially suited for quirky games 169144-ok.gif

Microsoft seems to be making a big effort on the games front, trying to get the Japanese RPG developers on board, games like Viva Pinata, the arcade games, even Guitar Hero and Dance Dance revolution are coming to the 360.

Im still undecided who id like to see "win" this generation. I personally dont think Sony are innovativing enough, they are riding on their previous glory, and not really pushing the envelope. Microsoft are pushing the boundaries (Live, XNA, Achievements, XBLA, Marketplace), but if Microsoft do take control, they'll just crush the competition, and we'll be left in a monopoly which isn't good for anyone.

And that just leaves Nintendo, and the problem is, much as though i like the Wii and want one, any big titles id get on 360/PS3 because the online will be better, graphically it will be better, and not all titles lend themselves to the controller. The Wii is a good second console, but thats all it is, the console you go back to in the quiet moments between the 360/PS3 blockbusters.

[ QUOTE ]

(Ash/Sparky, you knew this was coming grin.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be disappointed in you if you didn't reply! tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Point 4, How can he say that movies will win the console war? Yet not even mention the fact the you cant give the 360 away in Japan.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he is referring to the BluRay format. Despite what some have said recently about both formats winning, BluRay has had more exclusive sign-ups than HD-DVD and some have even changed from HD to BluRay since then. If the format does become BluRay, then the PS3 has a big advantage already.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Microsoft played it wrong to exclude that from the console. A move they are now having to reverse. They went on record saying customers don't want that just now - which caused a backlash in comments State side. Not done their research, or a cost cutting move. Who knows.

[ QUOTE ]

Point 10, This is the interesting one, and actually quite matched up with Point 7 (the Wii). I'll completely agree the PS2 has far more game variety than the xbox, but i dont think the same will be said of this gen.

Firstly quirky games need a big userbase because they wont be the next Halo, or Metal Gear Solid, so need to work on numbers, which means at the moment going onto 360 or Wii. The Wii is especially suited for quirky games 169144-ok.gif

Microsoft seems to be making a big effort on the games front, trying to get the Japanese RPG developers on board, games like Viva Pinata, the arcade games, even Guitar Hero and Dance Dance revolution are coming to the 360.

[/ QUOTE ]

Microsoft have lately attacked the Wii, saying you'll grow out of it. I think yet again this is another typical comment from an MS employee with no idea. The Wii may be a fad to some, but lets look at the sales figures - they are still hard to get hold of, some time after launch. MS will be blinkered to ignore the Wii. I will own both a PS3 and a Wii. I'll not bother with a 360 as I don't like them, or the route MS have taken with it, and plan to take it.

[ QUOTE ]

Im still undecided who id like to see "win" this generation. I personally dont think Sony are innovativing enough, they are riding on their previous glory, and not really pushing the envelope. Microsoft are pushing the boundaries (Live, XNA, Achievements, XBLA, Marketplace), but if Microsoft do take control, they'll just crush the competition, and we'll be left in a monopoly which isn't good for anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

MS won't win. They are too far behind. Yes, they've made a staggering improvement with the 360, but MS have a habit of stuffing things up, and just having a good run with this console doesn't mean anything. They will also have to play very carefully with how they introduce the Elite - which has already angered many US customers.

You must also give Sony time to bring their offerings to the table - too early to compare the formats at this time I think. I also don't buy the stories about how the PS3 is playing catch-up. Sony have shifted over 600,000 units in the first few days of launch. Even MS didn't manage that.

Sony may be late to the table, but their offerings are far more thought out and structured. They have just taken a little while to get there.

One disappointing area on the PS3 is the online store. There just isn't the content there yet - they must work on this quickly if they wish to keep up the overall impressions of those who've bought a PS3.

[ QUOTE ]

that just leaves Nintendo, and the problem is, much as though i like the Wii and want one, any big titles id get on 360/PS3 because the online will be better, graphically it will be better, and not all titles lend themselves to the controller. The Wii is a good second console, but thats all it is, the console you go back to in the quiet moments between the 360/PS3 blockbusters.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. It's a second console. I've always found it a console for kids - not a serious console, but it still has it's place in the market and when family come round, that's the machine we'd use, rather than the PS3 or 360.

There is room for all 3 machines. The 360 will continue to do well, but I think those who assume the PS3 has lost, or that it won't claim back the title are blinkered. Nintendo will just plod along as they always do. The Wii is a great machine, and they've done well. Only time will tell how much of a fad it was. I think it will do well as neither the PS3 or 360 can offer the same features with the hand controllers.

Come on Snail... did you expect me not to reply? grin.gif

Nice one Sparky although I think your wasting your time on Snail with this one, only time will tell. If you was a betting man I am sure you would go on past form. How long has the xbox 360 been out I'm sure not even 2 years and there onto 3rd machine for personally thats an issue.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Microsoft played it wrong to exclude that from the console. A move they are now having to reverse. They went on record saying customers don't want that just now - which caused a backlash in comments State side. Not done their research, or a cost cutting move. Who knows.

[/ QUOTE ]

And there id yet again have to disagree grin.gif

On the PS3, you have the option of SD, 480i/p 720p, and 1080i/p. Any you can use component/DVI/HDMI/SD Cables.

On the 360 you can do all of that, you can also use a VGA Cable (id take that over HDMI personally), and about 5 monitor resolutions.

The thing i really dont get is, the main reason for people wanting the HDMI cable is that lots of TVs (especially Sony for some reason sekret.gif) dont support 1080p over component/VGA. Everyone is up in arms at Microsoft for a problem with their TVs, yet when Microsoft sorts their problem for them, its yet again Microsofts fault.

Either that, or its Microsofts fault that the Media industry mandates that movies are only displayed in HD over a encrypted HDMI connection.

I've said before, i will probably get a PS3 at some point, but at the moment because i dont own a HDTV only a VGA monitor the PS3 is an SD console, compared to a HD 360. The PS3 is inferior online (it may be cheaper, but its still not as good), there isn't the games library, and there are 2 games id buy a PS3 for, GTA is now on the 360, and a proper HD version of GT is months (if not more) away.

[/PS3 Bashing grin.gif]

True, there is less online offerings from Sony. At the moment. Once the PS3 has had a chance to get it's offerings online up to speed (which they will) then they will be more level. In fact, I know for a fact that GTA:IV runs better on a PS3 than a 360. GT I think will be the usual dull affair so I'm not waiting on that one.

And I'd pick component over HDMI anyway.

[/360 is just dull] grin.gif

Reading this debate is fun, but where does the PC fit into this. It can be connected to the TV the same as everything else and do far more than just play games.

The £400-600 required for a PS3 can get you a good new gaming machine that will compare very well to both, so should this be included into the mix ? It has most of the games the other consoles have and some neither of them will have. wink.gif

I was of that thought... before I bought the PS2.

I do play games on my PC - games like Unreal are just better for me on the PC thanks to the mouse, but the ease of just turning on the PS3 and firing up a game is quicker, less hassle and I still think better connected than my PC is. And my PC is high spec.

Again, it's probably a different market. I've had games that work well on the PC, and then for some reason just stop, or crash. Most likely caused by other software on the PC, not the game. I don't get this with a console.

Also, my PC is in my office, where as the PS3/PS2 is in the lounge with the big-ass TV. grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

The £400-600 required for a PS3 can get you a good new gaming PC that will compare very well to both, so should this be included into the mix ?

[/ QUOTE ]

What would be really clever, is if a console manufacturer were clever enough to realise that, create an online identity that was shared between console/PC/other platforms, then create a development enviroment that allowed creation of games for both platforms with minimal changes, and then on top of that made it possible for Console gamers, and PC gamers to play against each other.

What would make it even better is if it was free, and you could just download the package, and anybody with a rudimentry knowledge of coding could start writing their own games............

Oh, you mean someone did think of it???? grin.gif

£400-£500 would not get a good gaming machine in my book. You'd be looking to £600.

It might get you something not bad, but when my last graphics card cost £300, and I'd still need good RAM, sound card, mobo etc... I think it's not worth it.

I'm prob missing the point though CarMad. I think the PC market is OK, but consoles win for ease of use and setup. Remember, millions of console users aren't into setting up PC's etc.

No your right its just that there are more sides to the debate. I've got an average 6800gs gfx and only a P4 3.0ghz for my PC at the moment but I can play something like Test Drive unlimited at pretty darn good frame rates. Yes the PC was £300 a year or two ago and the GFX was £150 last year I still think I could pick up a duel core 2gbmemory with fairly good GFX for £500 ( I was looking to treat myself.)

I can then play all the games I seem to like on the PC mainly SIM games and driving and get a great PC to surf with and do docs, image manipulation and a whole lot more for the same money as a PS3.

I like many I bet have problems pushing my other half off the main TV to play with a console, with a PC in another room its never a problem. grin.gif

I'm sure I will look at a PS3 at some point in the future but at the moment I can make a better case for a Wii and PC than I can a Wii and a PS3. I guess in the past a PC would have always been way more than than a console but now its getting much closer allowing the PC to be another alternative. Plus they do start pretty darn quickly these days and often have faster loading times that the ZZzzzz I'm familiar with when waiting on the previous gen consoles at least, oh and they games are often far cheaper, its rare that I spend over £30 I don't know about you.

But as Snail mentions it would be great to get an integrated solution to enable you to play against people on other platforms if that was possible. 169144-ok.gif

I'm fairly certain you could get online play, regardless of platform - it's just that they don't want to. Look at the debate about allowing MSN and Yahoo Messengers to talk to each other - took a very long time for them both to agree!

Your arguments for a PC I can't fault. It does a ton of things more than a console. I just prefer a console, no hassle with it and it feels more integrated and less to do to get things working - however, getting time on the big screen is getting harder with Sky+ ruling it!

grin.gif

I think the point about the PS3 is that it is not a 'games console' in the traditional, and even 360 sense.

It is far more than simply a box to play games and films on.

So far you can manage your music, wifi link that to your stereo in any room in the house (with airsync box), control it wirelessly with a PSP, do the same with films.

Bluetooth info to phones and pdas, backing up numbers and uploading music (see new iphone....)

Record tv programs (already being done in the US), play back tv from any wifi point in the world.

Send and receive email & messages at home or from a wifi point.

Surf the internet on a big screen in your living room, so moving internet into the main room in the house.

Play DVDs and Blu Rays (superb quality).

Future applications include wifi cameras you can set up in your home and then connect from the internet to see whats going on and video conferencing and VOIP calls.

Oh, and it plays pretty similar quality games to the xbox.... havent been really impressed withthe games yet, although I should imagine that the next generation of games will start to use both processor and graphic capability of the PS3.

For me, I think Microsoft will look at the PS3, not worry too much and simply launch a home pc in console format, allowing them to then do any add ons they desire.

Basically a do it all multi media and home control system, like a home hub.

'Connected Home' is a big thnig in the states with lots of electronics manufacturers vying for a slice of this growing market.

[ QUOTE ]

Basically a do it all multi media and home control system, like a home hub.

'Connected Home' is a big thnig in the states with lots of electronics manufacturers vying for a slice of this growing market.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here i go again............ grin.gif

And thats where Sony are wrong, and Microsoft are right (although without the correct implementation).

If you want a home hub, either get a Tivo, a Media Centre PC, a Media Mac, or a NAS drive with uPNP support.

The whole point of a home hub is that its on 24/7, and available to any device. It should be hidden away somewhere, and just use devices to access the content.

The 360 gets it right in principle, its designed as an extender, not a hub, its designed to get all the content from a remote device. The problem is, its only designed to work with Windows Media Connect (which is pants compared to uPNP), or Windows Media Centre.

That said, the PS3 has one potential trump card...Linux. The PS3 has potential when running in Linux, there are (of course) 2 problems. Firstly the PS3 only supports 2.5" drives which limit capacity, and secondly because of some Sony restrictions, a Linux PS3 only has 256mb Ram, and no access to the PS3s GPU.