RS4 saloon v avant

Adam

Just curious as to what people thought of pros and cons. I went for a saloon as, unlike previous versions, the B7 saloon looks as good to me as the Avant and the Saloon had other advantages.

So leaving aside subjective styling opinions, am I missing anything?

Saloon pros - £1k+ cheaper, bit lighter, bit quicker.

Avant pros - easier to load boot, extra boot capacity in additional glass area, less production so might hold a bit more value.

The additional space of the Avant seems to be only from waist to roofline at the rear and as the saloon boot is huge and as I never really need to carry furniture or high bulky items it would be redundant for me.

Reckon the Avant may continue to command a small second hand premium which may be equal to the £1k extra cost so guess these cancel out.

So for me it came down to the extra weight of the Avant being a negative especially as the weight is at the worst possible place ie high up. Saloon may feel a little more planted / handle a little tauter. The performance gap is nice to know but is probably only significant for pub statistics.

Would be interested in other peoples thought processes when considering saloon v avant or whether I have missed any other differences.

Think the differences are minor and it really comes down to styling and personal preference.

Think the luggage compartment volume in the avant is actually smaller without counting the part above the pull out shelf. Think this is because the rear seats are set slightly further back. Presumably this gives slightly more legroom in the rear. There is also slightly more headroom in the rear of the Avant.

I could have quite easily have lived with a Saloon but the Avant was that bit more attractive to me. You also get a rear wiper with the Avant which was the clincher grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Think the luggage compartment volume in the avant is actually smaller without counting the part above the pull out shelf. Think this is because the rear seats are set slightly further back. Presumably this gives slightly more legroom in the rear. There is also slightly more headroom in the rear of the Avant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both good points that I did not include. I rarely carry adults so not an issue for me although I do think the saloon would be better if they lost a little of that cavernous boot and moved the rear seats back a few inches for more rear legroom. The shelf behind the rear headrests looks like one big speaker that Audi could have re-designed.

better BOSE outweighs that for me though jump.gif

Mark88

Don't understand your posting or more specifically where the measurement of 4589mm for the Saloon came from. The Audi website also shows 4586mm for the Saloon

http://www.audi.co.uk/audi/uk/en2/new_cars/a4/saloon/dimensions.html

I have a number of brochures and all of them show the same length of 4586 for both.

Feel free to post some other supporting evidence to prove otherwise. Until then I take it that you accept you have made a mistake.

[ QUOTE ]

Mark88

Don't understand your posting or more specifically where the measurement of 4589mm for the Saloon came from. The Audi website also shows 4586mm for the Saloon

http://www.audi.co.uk/audi/uk/en2/new_cars/a4/saloon/dimensions.html

I have a number of brochures and all of them show the same length of 4586 for both.

Feel free to post some other supporting evidence to prove otherwise. Until then I take it that you accept you have made a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

*I* haven't made any mistake:

http://www.audi.co.uk/audi/uk/en2/new_cars/a4/rs4/dimensions.html

Says 4589mm right there, not really worth arguing about 3mm.

[ QUOTE ]

IMO they should never of made it into a saloon, a real RS4 is an Avant, but then again a real RS4 is a B5, running for cover now with tongue in cheek. yelrotflmao.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yelrotflmao.gif You wouldn't be slightly biased would you?

169144-ok.gifgrin.gif

Now post us some pics of the real deal