New here, buying GTI import, need help...........

louloumac

Hi there, after reading through some posts I've realised that you guys seem to know everything there is to know about GTI's!!

I am currently going through the motions to buy a Candy White 5dr DSG from Motorpoint. I know the car is an import and they have advised that it will only come with a 3 month warranty as apparently despite the car being brand new, it has sat around in the German factory for "a while" and that's all they can offer. I am not too worried about this as I will buy an extended warranty. Can anyone recommend a good warranty company? Do you know if VW UK would let me buy a warranty from them?

Secondly, lots of posts mention that with imports you should check that the car is full UK spec. Motorpoint have told me it is but how do I check this myself?

I'll be back soon with lots more questions no doubt!

Lou

I would be cautious as to why it has sat around for "a while" all VW cars come with a 2 year pan european warranty so this car ha been sat in the factory for 1 year and 9 months. Find that very hard to believe.

Unless it is an outstanding deal, ie 40% off or something I would go for another one and have the 2 year warranty.

Welcome to TSN btw lots of GTI knowledge on here smile.gif

OK, now your scaring me............

It does seem like a very good price as plenty of extras:

18" Monza II

6CD & Armrest

Bi-Xenons with wash & auto adjustment

Climate Control

Cruise Control

Electric Seats

Parking Sensors

Electric Sunroof

........all for £18,999

I have been given the VIN and with a bit of googling I can tell that it is a 2005 car. Motorpoints story is that VW have surplus stock that they have bought cheap and therefore only supplied with 3 months warranty. I did think to mysel that surely a warranty should start when the vehicle is registered..........

I've already paid £500 deposit so going elsewhere isn't really an option.

Ho hum, going to have to do some serious thinking.......

I am also looking into getting a candy white 5dr dsg....

The 5 motorpoint have were not made for the Euro Market. They were either for Dubai or South Africa. And this is why there is no warranty. I had a look at one at the Burnley Motorpoint.

The rubber gators where the pipes and wires run for the boot had began to perish, and it was very greasy and dirty.

I'd stay away, speaking to motorprovider and euro-import they were offered these cars last year and they've been sitting on the docks in Bristol.

I'd get a custom ordered one like I am from Motorprovider (when I can decide what colour to have)

[ QUOTE ]

I can only suspect that the car probably sustained some sort of transport damage and has now been fixed.

the real question is, do you really want a MY05 car with an 07 plate?

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly, I mean if you know exactly (the truth) what happend to the car, you can make up your mind, and bargin them right down 169144-ok.gif

[ QUOTE ]

They have about 25 of these cars in different colours.

They are not uk spec and have had the clocks changed from kmph to mph. Spend the extra £1000 and get a MY2007 ukspec euro import.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sealy - How do you know this?

I called Motorpoint and expressed my concerns. They said they have had other customers saying the same thing and this morning spoke to VW about the lack of warranty. They are hoping to have an answer this afternoon saying if VW will agree to the 2 year warranty.

I don't think I'll ever get to the bottom of the situation and if they can offer the 2 year VW warranty then I will be more tempted go ahead with this.....

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

They have about 25 of these cars in different colours.

They are not uk spec and have had the clocks changed from kmph to mph. Spend the extra £1000 and get a MY2007 ukspec euro import.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sealy - How do you know this?

I called Motorpoint and expressed my concerns. They said they have had other customers saying the same thing and this morning spoke to VW about the lack of warranty. They are hoping to have an answer this afternoon saying if VW will agree to the 2 year warranty.

I don't think I'll ever get to the bottom of the situation and if they can offer the 2 year VW warranty then I will be more tempted go ahead with this.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know this for sure as it was Motor Provider & Euro Imports who both told me the same thing.

The spec is standard for Middle East and South Africa and if the seats are cloth and electric this apparently is a sure sign.

18" Alloys

18" Monza II alloy wheels

6 CD autochanger with front centre armrest + 2 rear air vents + cupholder

ABS

Air Bags

Air Conditioning

CD

Central Locking

Climate Control

Cruise Control

Electric glass sunroof

Electric Mirrors

Electric Seats

Electric Windows

Multiplayer

Parking Sensors

Power Steering

Radio

Sun Roof (Electric)

Traction Control

I pressed the guy at Motorpoint and he would not tell me they were Euro Spec nor UK spec, only rigt hand drive and mph clock.

I then asked if I purchased 2 years warranty at £500 would it be with VW and he said no, I'd have to take it to motorpoint.

Motorpoint do have pan euro warranty cars but the spec is standard and they are £18999 but the warranty begins from when the get them (i.e november 2006) so they must already be registered.

As I said above, I went to see one on Saturday and they look 2 years old when you take a closer look.

Let me know if Motorpoint get back to you if they do speak to VW.

Walk away - if you search the forum there are several Motorpoint tales of woe.

Another real risk is that these could also be non-EU delivered cars now coming to the UK (eg from Dubai, Cyprus UAE etc) that haven't sold there and have come cheap to UK to Motorpoint - these will NOT have the pan-EU warranty normally associated with EU supplied cars. There also may be concerns with corrosion proofing and whether they were ever UK spec.

I agree with Petsy regarding checking the VIN and date - however if these are 2005 cars, then that's what they are - old..... and cars do deteriorate if parked up and not maintained. The tyres will be at risk - you may wish to check the manufacturing date on each tyre wall as these may need to be changed almost immediately for safety. If they are old rubber maintained in high temperatures (eg Dubai) then there is a signficant risk of perishing rubber in what is supposed to be a high performance tyre. Do you want to take that risk EEK2.GIF

In general - avoid.

You should be able to get an import for £3000-£4000 off - try another firm - there have been others recommended in earlier import threads! Even some main VW dealerships have been importing and selling GTIs on the side the_finger.gif

TBH, if you are willing to spend 19k then i would much rather to buy a 2nd 55ish plate and get a genuine one. You can get good specced ones, low miles for this sort of money with the HUGE advantage of having piece of mind. Careful 19k is a lot of money!!

Well 3 phonecalls later and I'm still waiting for the Manager at Motorpoint to return my call and agree to giving me my "Reservation Fee" back! I have spoken to the sales chap and told him catagorically that I don't want this car anymore but I think I'm going to have to keep pestering them for my money.

On the upside, I'm test driving a rather nice (IMO) Audi A3 Sportback T FSI 200Bhp on Saturday at my local Audi garage. Fingers crossed everything goes well with that.........